Because following rules are for other religions.

Started by trdsf, October 12, 2018, 03:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2018, 09:20:21 AM
Most of the protestants in this area I've talked to claim they are christian while catholics are not.  And no, couldn't persuade them otherwise.
One of my bosses was a Catholic, although he never talked about church stuff.  He was replaced with a guy that was a fundamentalist.  One of my fundamentalist co-workers said, "I'm so glad they hired a Christian this time."  Another guy I worked with who was a Catholic looked at me and asked jokingly, "Am I not a Christian?" 

The "No True Scotchman" fallacy took me a while to understand.  Finally, I googled it, and read the part about putting honey in tea, and then I understood.  If they would have named that fallacy the "No True Christian" fallacy, it wouldn't require the background story to understand what they were talking about.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 13, 2018, 08:24:57 AM
"Exclusive Brethren"?
I don't remember what people called them if I ever actually heard. 

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on October 13, 2018, 10:13:09 AM
Did anyone here spend enough time in Christianity to understand why Protestants and Catholics don't get along?  Really??  Ever hear of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation?

Exclusive Brethren are a subset of the Plymouth Brethren.  I have read that the Plymouth Brethren were a great impetus in the 19th century, toward the development of modern Christian Fundamentalism.  Though there were  a lot of whacked-out Christian sects formed in the 19th century.
This is a highly fundamentalist christian area.  So, no, they have heard little of actual christian history and most don't care--whatever their minister/priest tells them is what 'is'.  Anyway, I have found it highly ironic that the catholics (the originators of the christian bullshit) are considered not christian. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2018, 11:53:05 AM
This is a highly fundamentalist christian area.  So, no, they have heard little of actual christian history and most don't care--whatever their minister/priest tells them is what 'is'.  Anyway, I have found it highly ironic that the catholics (the originators of the christian bullshit) are considered not christian. 
It's social evolution.  Some species branch off and things change.  200 years from now, who knows what the current species will become?  Currently, science is part of the religious environment.  It causes stress and is less accommodating to various species as it represents an environmental change.  Some religious individuals are trying to adapt.  Others are hanging on trying to survive without change.  As in biological evolution, we might speculate on the outcome, but we don't know the outcome.

The worst thing about my eventual death, is that I don't get to watch.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Shiranu on October 13, 2018, 08:30:34 AM
I've seen one of them before, and I have to admit just googling their outfit wasn't providing any information either. Creepy.
Yeah, I tried that too, and also got nowhere.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 13, 2018, 11:53:05 AM
This is a highly fundamentalist christian area.  So, no, they have heard little of actual christian history and most don't care--whatever their minister/priest tells them is what 'is'.

That's why it's important to keep churches out of the political arena, they have way too much sway over their congregations. It was Baptists who wanted separation of church and state from the beginning. Now they scent the opportunity to create a fundamentalist theocracy, and that separation is no longer convenient.

QuoteAnyway, I have found it highly ironic that the catholics (the originators of the christian bullshit) are considered not christian. 

Yeah, and todays Protestants wouldn't even have a Bible at all had it not received it from the Roman Church! They'd have never even heard of some guy named Jesus had they not gotten it from the RCC.

Irony indeed! LOL
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on October 13, 2018, 07:36:15 AM
However, Catholics and Protestants wear the same clothes, except for their shaman, and they both may or may not where religious trinkets, so there is no way to visually sort them.  The real divide doesn't show up until we compare more distant Christians like the Amish, where they feel it essential to identify themselves as minority targets by wearing strange apparel.  However, as a rule, the Amish are not known for cutting off the people's heads in order to get attention.  I've dealt with the Amish.  They don't even talk about their religion unless I make a direct inquiry.  And they don't tell me I'm going to Hell. 

There is another more mainline Christian sect that I find even more mysterious than the Amish that I saw around town in Montana.  I was too fearful to ask them what their religion was because it felt impertinent, and also, I didn't want an earful of dogma.  This sect was distinguished by the women wearing full dresses of pastel blue and tiny white scarves worn upon the head.  They looked like Amish on their way to a wild party.  My friend used to call them the Hanky Heads.  I referred to the "Hanky Heads" once among friends and I got shushed.  So I guess that was politically incorrect or something.

Even the Amish aren't completely unique. The United Pentecostal Church is pretty similar when it comes to banning modern technology and wearing old fashioned clothes. Their women aren't allowed to cut their hair or wear pants. They have to keep their uncut hair in a weird looking bun, and wear old fashioned dresses. They also don't wear makeup or perfume. The men...well, they can pretty much wear whatever they want, because sexism. They also aren't supposed to have TVs, and aren't supposed to go to the movies. My UPC grandfather used to hide his little TV when having company over from his church.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 12, 2018, 07:29:17 PM
Canada is more inclusive than the US, but Quebec is a special case and not representative of the country.

And many places of the US are not representative of the US but speak to part of it.  I don't like either group.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 13, 2018, 02:07:11 PM
That's why it's important to keep churches out of the political arena, they have way too much sway over their congregations. It was Baptists who wanted separation of church and state from the beginning. Now they scent the opportunity to create a fundamentalist theocracy, and that separation is no longer convenient.

Yeah, and todays Protestants wouldn't even have a Bible at all had it not received it from the Roman Church! They'd have never even heard of some guy named Jesus had they not gotten it from the RCC.

Irony indeed! LOL

Actually from translators to modern languages.  But the bible still makes little sense.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!