Author Topic: This is why engineers prepare for the worst  (Read 883 times)

Offline Hydra009

Re: This is why engineers prepare for the worst
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's because all those smart people are made to seem really stupid. Solving practical problems isn't their forte. All they have is book-smarts, which doesn't count for much in the real world.
It's more than that.  The show itself is basically scorn for nerds and nerd culture thinly disguised as comedy.  Its comedy is just "smart talk" slotted in at inappropriate situations.  Be more normal and less nerdy, dammit!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Stale ... more than 10 seasons.  And no, the Normie majority wouldn't watch a show with genuine nerds, silly.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:58 PM »
Ah, a room mate who would put up with your version of Sheldon? ;-)  Odd Couple much?
I'd never live with anyone who'd have me for a roommate.
"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Isaac Asimov

Offline trdsf

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 03:35:10 PM »
It's because all those smart people are made to seem really stupid. Solving practical problems isn't their forte. All they have is book-smarts, which doesn't count for much in the real world.
Pretty much why I don't watch BBT -- it's still laughing at the smart people for the social offense of being smart, rather than slipping in a teeny bit of information so viewers can laugh with them instead.

Also, most of the conversations they have are ones that I have (or have had) with my friends, I don't need to see them on TV.

And Sheldon is just fucking annoying. When I hear him talk, I just want to hit him with a cast iron skillet until he stops.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Baruch

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 06:15:04 PM »
I'd never live with anyone who'd have me for a roommate.

So you are Groucho .. that Marx ...
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
I'm not surprised you got the reference. Groucho had some of the best lines ever spoken on camera!
Isaac Asimov

Offline Baruch

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
I'm not surprised you got the reference. Groucho had some of the best lines ever spoken on camera!

But you go clubbing here ...

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 06:49:36 PM »
Yeah, the fact that this forum would have me as a member doesn't speak very well for it...
Isaac Asimov

Offline Baruch

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:13 AM »
Yeah, the fact that this forum would have me as a member doesn't speak very well for it...

You underestimate yourself.  I have only seen you despair once.  Otherwise you have a winning wry humor.

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »
We need to get on the inventive track again.  Let's see some more balanced cooperative space travel tech from many nations.
That will produce many agendas.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk