News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is why engineers prepare for the worst

Started by trdsf, October 11, 2018, 12:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 25, 2018, 05:11:37 PM
It's because all those smart people are made to seem really stupid. Solving practical problems isn't their forte. All they have is book-smarts, which doesn't count for much in the real world.
It's more than that.  The show itself is basically scorn for nerds and nerd culture thinly disguised as comedy.  Its comedy is just "smart talk" slotted in at inappropriate situations.  Be more normal and less nerdy, dammit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFPmF1puW4

Baruch

Stale ... more than 10 seasons.  And no, the Normie majority wouldn't watch a show with genuine nerds, silly.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on November 25, 2018, 08:57:00 PM
Ah, a room mate who would put up with your version of Sheldon? ;-)  Odd Couple much?
I'd never live with anyone who'd have me for a roommate.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 25, 2018, 05:11:37 PM
It's because all those smart people are made to seem really stupid. Solving practical problems isn't their forte. All they have is book-smarts, which doesn't count for much in the real world.
Pretty much why I don't watch BBT -- it's still laughing at the smart people for the social offense of being smart, rather than slipping in a teeny bit of information so viewers can laugh with them instead.

Also, most of the conversations they have are ones that I have (or have had) with my friends, I don't need to see them on TV.

And Sheldon is just fucking annoying. When I hear him talk, I just want to hit him with a cast iron skillet until he stops.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 26, 2018, 01:19:58 PM
I'd never live with anyone who'd have me for a roommate.

So you are Groucho .. that Marx ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm not surprised you got the reference. Groucho had some of the best lines ever spoken on camera!
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 26, 2018, 06:19:09 PM
I'm not surprised you got the reference. Groucho had some of the best lines ever spoken on camera!

But you go clubbing here ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Yeah, the fact that this forum would have me as a member doesn't speak very well for it...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 26, 2018, 06:49:36 PM
Yeah, the fact that this forum would have me as a member doesn't speak very well for it...

You underestimate yourself.  I have only seen you despair once.  Otherwise you have a winning wry humor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 24, 2018, 01:22:37 AM
We need to get on the inventive track again.  Let's see some more balanced cooperative space travel tech from many nations.
That will produce many agendas.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers