News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is why engineers prepare for the worst

Started by trdsf, October 11, 2018, 12:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Astronauts Nick Hague and Alexei Ovchinin safely aborted from their malfunctioning rocket just under two minutes after launch.

Remember: when you escape a dangerous situation thanks to a safety mechanism that worked the way it was supposed to, the correct entity to thank is not some god, it's an engineer.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Wow, what a ride! I hope they find the problem soon so the program can get back on track.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 11, 2018, 12:59:48 PM
Astronauts Nick Hague and Alexei Ovchinin safely aborted from their malfunctioning rocket just under two minutes after launch.

Remember: when you escape a dangerous situation thanks to a safety mechanism that worked the way it was supposed to, the correct entity to thank is not some god, it's an engineer.

Except for Challenger ... then blame engineering management, who ignored engineer protests over launching in cold weather.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 11, 2018, 01:22:22 PM
Wow, what a ride! I hope they find the problem soon so the program can get back on track.

The Russians are making the rocket engines now.  They will embargo selling us any big ones.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

We need to get our own program back on track.  Depending on the Russians puts our whole diplomacy at risk.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Any spaceship crashlanding you walk away from is a good one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 07:00:57 AM
We need to get our own program back on track.  Depending on the Russians puts our whole diplomacy at risk.

The whole point of multiculturalism and economic interdependence?  Destroy the USA.  Our one bipartisan policy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 14, 2018, 07:53:23 AM
Any spaceship crashlanding you walk away from is a good one.

"it was a 3 point landing; here, there, and everywhere". 

I remember hearing about the Challenger disaster on the radio.  My best friend from a previous office used to follow every flight.  I called her and she didn't know.  The one flight she din't stay home to watch.  We cried together on the phone.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 08:52:17 AM
"it was a 3 point landing; here, there, and everywhere". 

I remember hearing about the Challenger disaster on the radio.  My best friend from a previous office used to follow every flight.  I called her and she didn't know.  The one flight she din't stay home to watch.  We cried together on the phone.

Heard about the Challenger for a co-worker.  That weekend my wife and I were scheduled to see a Space shuttle movie at the I-max.  So that was our wake.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2018, 09:59:20 AM
Heard about the Challenger for a co-worker.  That weekend my wife and I were scheduled to see a Space shuttle movie at the I-max.  So that was our wake.

Yeah, a really bad day.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 10:47:29 AM
Yeah, a really bad day.

Back then I worked on Space Shuttle cargoes.  Challenger wasn't carrying one of mine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 14, 2018, 01:43:34 PM
Back then I worked on Space Shuttle cargoes.  Challenger wasn't carrying one of mine.

It isn't wrong to be relieved at small bits of luck.  I can only imagine how people more directly involved must have felt.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 14, 2018, 02:25:25 PM
It isn't wrong to be relieved at small bits of luck.  I can only imagine how people more directly involved must have felt.

Yes.  I am glad I wasn't closer to the event.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Baruch on October 11, 2018, 07:43:44 PM
The Russians are making the rocket engines now.  They will embargo selling us any big ones.

I'm hoping Elon Musk and SpaceX can keep it up. Depending on the Russians for space access is crazy, as is relying on the Chinese.

Cavebear

Quote from: Dark Lightning on November 23, 2018, 10:08:46 PM
I'm hoping Elon Musk and SpaceX can keep it up. Depending on the Russians for space access is crazy, as is relying on the Chinese.

We need to get on the inventive track again.  Let's see some more balanced cooperative space travel tech from many nations.