News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Winston Churchill, unperson.

Started by pr126, October 08, 2018, 09:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes after quoting, praising Winston Churchill

QuoteScott Kelly, a retired American astronaut with multiple space flights under his belt, apologized Sunday after quoting Winston Churchill and calling the 20th century British prime minister "one of the greatest leaders of modern times."

"Did not mean to offend by quoting Churchill. My apologies. I will go and educate myself further on his atrocities, racist views which I do not support. My point was we need to come together as one nation. We are all Americans. That should transcend partisan politics," Kelly wrote on Twitter in the evening.
Did not mean to offend by quoting Churchill. My apologies. I will go and educate myself further on his atrocities, racist views which I do not support. My point was we need to come together as one nation. We are all Americans. That should transcend partisan politics.

And in the UK:

Arrested for quoting Winston Churchill

Churchill may have saved Britain from the Germans, but today he is persona non grata.
He would be in prison for Islamophobia. (The River Wars)

And Obama sent back the bronze sculpture of Churchill from the Oval Office after taking residence in the WH.

Reminds me of Winston Smith throwing things into the memory hole at the Ministry of truth.

Winston Churchill - unperson.

An unperson is someone who has been "vapourized"â€"not only killed by the state, but erased from existence. Such a person would be written out of existing books, photographs and articles so that no trace of their existence could be found in the historical record. The idea is that such a person would, according to the principles of doublethink, be forgotten completely (for it would be impossible to provide evidence of their existence), even by close friends and family.

Mentioning an unperson's name, or even speaking of their past existence, is itself thoughtcrime; the concept that the person may have existed at one time and has disappeared cannot be expressed in Newspeak.

Baruch

If I could unperson anyone, it would be Karl Marx.

Yes, Winston Churchill is from an earlier phase of history.  So no surprise what some of his ideas were.  This is part of the rejection of history, because we can't all be Gandhi (who was his own kind of asshole).  I did read, some years ago, because of the gap in my education, the story of the British Empire after the American Revolution.  Seems like the White Man's burden wasn't so crazy after all?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on October 08, 2018, 09:24:54 AM
Astronaut Scott Kelly apologizes after quoting, praising Winston Churchill

And in the UK:

Arrested for quoting Winston Churchill

Obama said that he liked Winston Churchill, but there was a place for a bust in the room, and he wanted to place one of Martin Luther King there.  No offence, just a preference.  Had I been president, I might have chosen a bust of Thales or Hypatia. 

Churchill may have saved Britain from the Germans, but today he is persona non grata.
He would be in prison for Islamophobia. (The River Wars)

And Obama sent back the bronze sculpture of Churchill from the Oval Office after taking residence in the WH.

Reminds me of Winston Smith throwing things into the memory hole at the Ministry of truth.

Winston Churchill - unperson.

An unperson is someone who has been "vapourized"â€"not only killed by the state, but erased from existence. Such a person would be written out of existing books, photographs and articles so that no trace of their existence could be found in the historical record. The idea is that such a person would, according to the principles of doublethink, be forgotten completely (for it would be impossible to provide evidence of their existence), even by close friends and family.

Mentioning an unperson's name, or even speaking of their past existence, is itself thoughtcrime; the concept that the person may have existed at one time and has disappeared cannot be expressed in Newspeak.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GSOgymrat

This billboard is up in Greensboro.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 10, 2018, 05:33:42 AM
This billboard is up in Greensboro.

If Trump loves Churchill, he is spinning...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!