News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Paula Deen and the *N* word

Started by WitchSabrina, June 20, 2013, 11:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbillyatheist

I don't know what to make of this women.

as for her cooking, well I grew up with southern style cookin'

no its not healthy but it tastes damn good. at least I think so. thats more of a personal preference.

if you're gonna hate her for liking fried chicken and fried okra, hate me too.

hating her for being southern is just plan ol' bigotry in my book. and people have hated her long before this shit came out. They hate her for celebrating southern style food which they look down on. (on that note though, how many of you eat perfectly healthy though, and have room to talk)

now that said, racism a legit reason to hate her. but here's where things just get weird.

check this out:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/21/n-wor ... supporter/

Okay so she supported Obama's election, but called him a nigger while she did it.

now I for one can't figure out why a racist would support the black candidate or befriend folks like Oprah, but on the other hand if she isn't a racist why she would keep calling them niggers and wanting to glorify slavery with a mock slave hosted wedding, or go on TV and talk about her friend so black you can't see him by a blackboard (which said said several times to beyond the point of awkward)

so now I'm flummoxed. I can't tell if she's a racist, or just an idiot.

I don't think she should be fired over it though.  I'm MUCH more concerned with scum like Hannity lying to people on his TV show and and actively promoting racist views albeit in an underhanded way, (birthism, making it like the new black panthers represent all blacks, dehumanizing immigrants etc) then some cook on TV who said stupid shit in private and then got caught in a court disposition, but as far as I know never promoted it on her show.

Her show was simply about cooking. so firing her for stuff she said in private unrelated to the show seems kinda draconian to me.

I've always been against firing people for stuff they do and say off the clock.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
QuoteLawyer: Okay. What era in America are you referring to?
Deen: Well, I don't know. After the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War.

Thank God she cleared that up...
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "Plu"Not my kind of wedding, but that doesn't mean it's A) based on racial hatred or B) law-suit worthy.

This whole thing just sounds really silly.

The lawsuit, as The Rick Copeland understands it, has nothing to do with the wedding plans. Those came out during the deposition. The actual lawsuit involves allegations of racial discrimination and sexual harassment at a restaurant owned by Deen and her brother "Bubba"

Is it based on racial hatred? Hard to say. The Rick Copeland knows next to nothing about her besides she has a cooking show that used to focus heavily on saturated fats, she waited for some time before publicly mentioning the diabetes her lifestyle incurs, she was on a lot of magazine covers (was it her own publication?) and she got smacked in the face with a ham. But it is based on this romanticized notion of the anetebellum south that was supported by slavery and those "middle age" black men in crisp white suits and black ties -- a past she apparently either doesn't get or doesn't care about.
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

IMMadAsHell

Quote"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." Macbeth Quote (Act V, Scene V).

Until this hit the news I had no idea of who Paula Deen was and don't particularly care now that I know.  The whole overblown news coverage really illustrates a point.  This particular word, "nigger", has gained so much importance, probably as a result of the infamous OJ trial, that it can't even be printed by the media and TV reporters.  They now have to say "the N word".  Hey folks it is just a word!  If you say it often enough it loses it's power.  If people didn't feign such offense then it wouldn't be so offensive.  In fact, I would guess that most people who are so offended by the word don't even know why they are offended.  

The same reasoning goes for the word "fuck".  When you ask someone why they are so offended by this word they can't really tell you.  The real answer is because society has deemed that these words (nigger and fuck) are offensive but when you ask no one can really explain it.  

Yes I know that the history of the word nigger is rooted in a part of US history that is unfavorable and calling a person with skin darker than oneself is definitely derogatory but why any more than any other slang word about any ethnic group?  It is about the grievances a particular race feels about the way their ancestors were treated but when you examine mistreatment of ones ancestors by this country get in line behind the American Indians.

There were bleak days in this countries history that we should be ashamed of but for a word to create such controversy is ludicrous. My mother was the most tolerant person I've ever known in my life and about such words she would say I choose not to hear them.  We should all live by such an example.

Anyway that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. – Susan B. Anthony

Two hands working can accomplish more than a thousand clasped in prayer. – Anonymous

Shiranu

QuoteThey hate her for celebrating southern style food which they look down on. (on that note though, how many of you eat perfectly healthy though, and have room to talk)

There are plenty of healthy Southern foods. Paula Dean doesn't cook "Southern", she cooks "Extremely Bad For Your System Southern".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

MilitantAtheist

She looks like the sort of bitch that would say those things. And that smile of hers is just absurd.
If God\'s real, he sure as hell ain\'t a Red Sox fan.

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote"Extremely Bad For Your System Southern".
yeah but they taste good. my current stepmom is from georgia and she makes stuff like gravy with bacon fat poured over buttermilk biscuits, and mixed with sausage chunks. its flat out glorious. so what if its bad for you. just eat it in moderation.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Aroura33

I think the scandal over her diabetes is that she is currently selling diabetes medication, and making a buttload doing it, while continuing to promote a diet that likely causes it. Some other famous chef compared it to advocating activities that break your legs, and then selling crutches.

As for the lawsuit and the firing, if she did discriminate against her black employees, then she deserves it. And Food Network has every right to choose not to renew her contract, note that is not quite the same as being fired, if they want even if she is guiltless. For all we know, her rating were falling because healthy cooking is becoming much more popular, and this was just the hair that broke the camels back. Whatever the reason, they can let her go if they want. Personally, I never liked her show. I watch Food network a lot, and I recall watching her once, her son was on as a guest, and the grandson came on set. The son asked if the boy was supposed to be doing his homework, and the boy said something to the effect of hating school and learning, and they all laughed and said "like father like son!". I immediately disliked the whole strain of anti-intellectualism that pervaded the whole show.

There are other great southern cooks on Food Network, but to me, she was the Jersey Shore of that channel, if you get what I mean.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

rickcopeland648

Quote from: "Aroura33"I think the scandal over her diabetes is that she is currently selling diabetes medication, and making a buttload doing it, while continuing to promote a diet that likely causes it. Some other famous chef compared it to advocating activities that break your legs, and then selling crutches.

The Rick Copeland was unaware of her hawking meds. Interesting.
He suspects the "other famous chef" is probably Anthony Bourdain. The Rick Copeland also knows next to nothing about him except that he makes fun of Guy Fierri.  And that he is allegedly a heavy smoker...

hillbillyatheist

I don't watch cooking shows, so I don't know much about any of them except that Bam! guy. I've watched a couple of his shows before.
oh and as a kid this cajun guy dad watched. don't remember his name.

I've seen hatred though needlessly aimed at some of the cooks.

like Rachel Ray. people hated her guts because get this, she was bubbly and happy. WTF! LOL. guess cooks need to be all serious n shit.  

and others hated Paula Deen because she likes butter apparently. at least until now.

now she's been caught calling a bunch of blacks niggers and wanting a pretend slave party but also likes Obama and Oprah. so that pretty much alienates everybody. not a smart move. LOL

just click here

Mermaid

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Bad sunless tanning and too much eye makeup.   Does anyone else see Tammy Fae?

[ Image ]
And too many teeth. She scares me in the same manner that clowns scare me.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Weltfrieden

I quite liked Oliver's take on this.

[youtube:29qlq27b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTFRNAiKwhw[/youtube:29qlq27b]

"Fried & Prejudice", fucking brilliant!

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

maybe she is one of those people who thinks that as god made us all bros and sis's she is also part nigger. I nigger, you nigger, they nigger, us nigger....niggers be crazy to think I am racist, I'm a nigger too....just a white one.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

hillbillyatheist

Reminds me of a guy I worked for who would insist nigger meant dirty person and had no connections to blacks whatsoever. :lol:

yeah, keep telling yourself that, little porch monkey.

its cool, I'm taking it back.

[youtube:w92g9220]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdVwt2deY4[/youtube:w92g9220]

just click here