News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Typing Pi on a Computer Keyboard

Started by SGOS, September 30, 2018, 11:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2018, 10:45:29 AM
I do a certain amount of amateur typesetting.  I was responsible for the grammatical and typographical editing of the [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_press_association]APA[/url] I co-founded in the early '90s, and I experiment with font design, and of course the layout of my own writing to get a feel for how it will look if and when published.  Ï€ should exist in all TrueType/OpenType faces, so it should be available in all ten faces available in this forum software, thusly:

Courier: π
Arial: π
Arial Black: π
Impact: π
Verdana: π
Times New Roman: π
Georgia: π
Andale Mono: π
Trebuchet MS: π
Comic Sans MS: π

Verdana, which is the default face here, is really the outlier as it alone lacks the little overhangs of the top bar that helps visually differentiate pi from lower case n.  Arial is dull, but at least it has those.

Figures; I like Arial...  But (and forgive me) why not just "pi"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 02:25:40 PM
Figures; I like Arial...  But (and forgive me) why not just "pi"?
Arial is my favorite too.  It's clean.  Times looks good, as I'm used to it in books and newspapers, although it has a lot of foo fah dangling off the letters, which while attractive, seems unnecessary.  Another personal favorite is comic sans.  It's clear, but different and makes me happy.

I don't know why not just "pi".  I wondered the same thing in 7th grade. 

Baruch

Using proper Greek letters shows "education" and "class".

"By being so long in the lowest form [at Harrow] I gained an immense advantage over the cleverer boys. . . . I got into my bones the essential structure of the ordinary British sentence - which is a noble thing. Naturally I am biased in favor of boys learning English; I would make them all learn English: and then I would let the clever ones learn Latin as an honor, and Greek as a treat." - Winston Churchill
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on October 04, 2018, 10:45:29 AM
I do a certain amount of amateur typesetting.  I was responsible for the grammatical and typographical editing of the APA I co-founded in the early '90s, and I experiment with font design, and of course the layout of my own writing to get a feel for how it will look if and when published.  Ï€ should exist in all TrueType/OpenType faces, so it should be available in all ten faces available in this forum software, thusly:
Well, that explains why you seem to know about a lot about it.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on October 05, 2018, 08:55:31 AM
Well, that explains why you seem to know about a lot about it.
Also, I am a thoroughgoing nerd.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on October 05, 2018, 11:24:32 AM
Also, I am a thoroughgoing nerd.  :D

Nerdom is not necessarily a problem.  It means specialized knowledge.  Glory in it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!