Author Topic: Typing Pi on a Computer Keyboard  (Read 1114 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Typing Pi on a Computer Keyboard
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He meant there was no link.
I wondered, so I tried it again, and it worked for me.  Different computers, I suppose.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
I wondered, so I tried it again, and it worked for me.  Different computers, I suppose.

Wait, you are missing the point.  There was no link in your post...  Go back and look.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline SGOS

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 01:54:25 PM »
Wait, you are missing the point.  There was no link in your post...  Go back and look.  LOL!
Go back to the first post, and click on "here" (it's the "here" with the blue underline).  A latter post of mine was a cut and paste of the link, and it didn't pick up the hyperlink.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 01:59:32 PM »
Go back to the first post, and click on "here" (it's the "here" with the blue underline).  A latter post of mine was a cut and paste of the link, and it didn't pick up the hyperlink.

Wow that was the least visual link I ever saw.  But of course I only saw the later post without it. 

I do appreciate the link.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 02:32:54 PM »
Your Welcome.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »
The basic alt-codes under Windows are a very handy thing — you may have noticed that I tend to enter a proper em-dash (alt-0151) rather than two hyphens, and prefer the spelling coöperate over cooperate (alt-0246).

There is a difference between the extended alt-codes and the basic ones; I tend to use the extended ones where alt-0227 is ã (alt-227 is usually π — in some systems, it's Ñ).

WindowsKey-R will bring up a command prompt; type in charmap and you can see all the available characters.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 03:55:53 PM »
The basic alt-codes under Windows are a very handy thing — you may have noticed that I tend to enter a proper em-dash (alt-0151) rather than two hyphens, and prefer the spelling coöperate over cooperate (alt-0246).

There is a difference between the extended alt-codes and the basic ones; I tend to use the extended ones where alt-0227 is ã (alt-227 is usually π — in some systems, it's Ñ).

WindowsKey-R will bring up a command prompt; type in charmap and you can see all the available characters.

There ARE times I regret not using a PC.  Not many, but some.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 04:01:12 PM »
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »

Printed, tnx...

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »
Printed, tnx...
The test box is handy, you  can see what the symbol looks like on your box.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
If you're on a Windoze machine search for "character map". Saves typing.

I have a text file I use for frequently needed symbols.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

PZ Myers

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 04:28:26 PM »
If you're on a Windoze machine search for "character map". Saves typing.

I have a text file I use for frequently needed symbols.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Mac

Offline Baruch

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 07:43:40 PM »
Mac & Cheese, Chili Mac ... Mac forever.
𐎍𐎜𐎜𐎟𐎌𐎀𐎍𐎎𐎀𐎀𐎚𐎀𐎟𐎍𐎜𐎜𐎟𐎁𐎀𐎍𐎉𐎀𐎀𐎚𐎀
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline trdsf

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 01:24:08 PM »
I just have most of the alphabetic accented character codes memorized out of use.  I still have to look up some of them, though.  And of course, many extended Latin characters aren't simply accessible from the keyboard, alas.  ę should be alt-0281 and ł should be alt-0322, but nothing comes up that way.

Alt-1000 through Alt-1010 generates ΦΘΩδ∞φε∩≡±≥, which are clearly mathematic symbols. ╥╙╘╒ are Alt-1234 through 1237, and these characters aren't adjacent in the Unicode table.

I think I have some research to do... it's clearly not pulling these codes from the Unicode table, nor do they match up with the DOS or Windows tables.  Weird.

Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Baruch

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 07:20:17 PM »
I just have most of the alphabetic accented character codes memorized out of use.  I still have to look up some of them, though.  And of course, many extended Latin characters aren't simply accessible from the keyboard, alas.  ę should be alt-0281 and ł should be alt-0322, but nothing comes up that way.

Alt-1000 through Alt-1010 generates ΦΘΩδ∞φε∩≡±≥, which are clearly mathematic symbols. ╥╙╘╒ are Alt-1234 through 1237, and these characters aren't adjacent in the Unicode table.

I think I have some research to do... it's clearly not pulling these codes from the Unicode table, nor do they match up with the DOS or Windows tables.  Weird.

In general, Windows/Office has more than one text format mode.  Unicode being just one.  If you have a .txt already saved in Notepad as Unicode, it will stay in Unicode.  Notepad is monolithic like that (per document).  Wordpad is a odd relic, not quite Word .. I pretty much only use Notepad or Word now.  Another option to mess up your odds of success is saving a document in PDF mode.
𐎍𐎜𐎜𐎟𐎌𐎀𐎍𐎎𐎀𐎀𐎚𐎀𐎟𐎍𐎜𐎜𐎟𐎁𐎀𐎍𐎉𐎀𐎀𐎚𐎀
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk