Actual stats on immigration to the US ...

Started by Baruch, September 30, 2018, 10:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

based on non-English spoken at home ... undercounts Brits, Irish, Australians, Canadian and NZ who immigrate to the US.

https://cis.org/Report/Almost-Half-Speak-Foreign-Language-Americas-Largest-Cities?utm_source=E-mail+Updates&utm_campaign=652d8656ce-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_09_19_11_51&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7dc4c5d977-652d8656ce-44168217

The US gained 20 million in the last 17 years.  We gained 43 million in the last 37 years.  Sorry Europe, you aren't the US.  We take in lots of people, but that doesn't mean we need to take in criminals or terrorists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Is that counting Spanish as a foreign language?   It's a language that has been ubiquitous in the americas since the first days of colonisation.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on September 30, 2018, 10:40:45 AM
Is that counting Spanish as a foreign language?   It's a language that has been ubiquitous in the americas since the first days of colonisation.

Of course.  Only English is used in the US government, officially.  The majority in fact, 2/3 are Spanish speakers.  Mostly Latin American no doubt.  Notice Navaho is included ... that has been around longer than Spanish in the US.  Navaho is the most widely spoken Native American language in the US.  If you know me, I am in favor of immigration.  But not as a Leftist plot to destroy the West or civilization in general (sarc).

Notice that California and Texas have the highest proportion of foreign speakers.  Of course if Spanish is your primary language, then English is foreign to you.  But that isn't the point of the statistic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

My (first generation native born) grandfather still spoke German at home as a child.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Baruch

Quote from: Poison Tree on September 30, 2018, 12:49:48 PM
My (first generation native born) grandfather still spoke German at home as a child.

Yep.  Back in the day, my mother's mother was still taught in US school, in Czech, until she got to third grade.  Took that long for an English language school teacher to be hired.  There used to be lots of German immigrants 100+ years ago.  In 1914, the second language of the US was German, not Spanish.  WW I suppression by Wilson did that in.  Of course until about 1950, there were many Yiddish speakers around NYC.  Assimilation took care of that too.

There is a false impression that Spanish speakers don't assimilate.  Well there aren't so many German immigrants anymore, so those who did come over, years ago, have assimilated.  But today a great number of Spanish speakers arrive every year.  Many Spanish speakers are guest workers, they have no desire to learn English, being happy to work in Spanish speaking work-ghettos.  Everyone who wants to be a citizen of any country, will remain resident, attend public school, and learn the primary language ... or be ghettoized their whole life (as functional illiterate).  Most people want to assimilate, but not too soon, and it isn't easy.  I would be highly intimidated at the prospect ... and I love languages and foreign cultures.  To be assimilated means ... what was once not my language or my culture, now is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Poison Tree on September 30, 2018, 12:49:48 PM

Same. I wish he could have taught me some, but he strictly forbid us to speak German at home because of what he experienced in WWII and not wanting people to mistake us for Germans.

Life would have been a hell of alot easier to have spoken two languages though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 30, 2018, 10:21:14 PM
Same. I wish he could have taught me some, but he strictly forbid us to speak German at home because of what he experienced in WWII and not wanting people to mistake us for Germans.

Life would have been a hell of alot easier to have spoken two languages though.

My wife's grandmother came over from Italy.  She forbade her children, all born in the US, from learning Italian.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I had relatives who had been in the US for 3 generations (from Canada) and still only spoke French.  I always thought they were weird for that.  And they slowly slipped down the social scale because of that.  Some of the relatives who assimilated did much better.  Like my mom's side of the family. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 05:30:43 AM
I had relatives who had been in the US for 3 generations (from Canada) and still only spoke French.  I always thought they were weird for that.  And they slowly slipped down the social scale because of that.  Some of the relatives who assimilated did much better.  Like my mom's side of the family.

The husband of a co-worker, his mother is French Canadian.  Don't see why they left Canada.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

My husband and his family didn't speak English when they immigrated from Cuba. They are now fluent in English but speak Spanish at home. I don't speak Spanish so sometimes I don't know what they are talking about but it doesn't bother me.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 01, 2018, 06:33:39 AM
My husband and his family didn't speak English when they immigrated from Cuba. They are now fluent in English but speak Spanish at home. I don't speak Spanish so sometimes I don't know what they are talking about but it doesn't bother me.

Since I like bilingualism ... I think this a lost opportunity if your husband isn't bilingual.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.