News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Slavery. The Bible and Quran.

Started by Mousetrap, August 03, 2018, 07:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 07:40:11 AM
Are you talking about slavery in the Constitution or slavery in the bible?  You really do have to TRY to be precise in such situations.

Both.  Humans do slavery ... to create differential outcomes.  That and other crimes like fraud and theft.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 04, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
Both.  Humans do slavery ... to create differential outcomes.  That and other crimes like fraud and theft.

Just pointing out that the Constitution isn't big on technical slavery these days while the bible hasn't changed much.  Though I might argue that the Republicans wouldn't mind a return to it.  Just being so religious and all, you know.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 02:51:14 PM
Just pointing out that the Constitution isn't big on technical slavery these days while the bible hasn't changed much.  Though I might argue that the Republicans wouldn't mind a return to it.  Just being so religious and all, you know.

Yeah. The Constitution's "all men are created equal" line was a jab at slavery in America, but it slipped by. It wasn't until much later that America put that into practice (and we're still working on it, to some extent).
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 04, 2018, 02:58:21 PM
Yeah. The Constitution's "all men are created equal" line was a jab at slavery in America, but it slipped by. It wasn't until much later that America put that into practice (and we're still working on it, to some extent).

"All Men are created equal" is from the Declaration Of Independence.  Which is not about laws...  No offense.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 02:51:14 PM

Republicans use pro-religion for devious reasons.  Democrats use anti-religion for devious reasons.  They have changed places many times.  It keeps the peasants guessing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 03:08:26 PM
"All Men are created equal" is from the Declaration Of Independence.  Which is not about laws...  No offense.

God damn it. I keep saying one when I mean the other. I have a habit of doing that kind of thing.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 06, 2018, 02:52:07 PM
God damn it. I keep saying one when I mean the other. I have a habit of doing that kind of thing.

Well, I wasn't happy to point that out.  MY routine error is forgetting to put the "n't" on words I intend to contract.  Making them opposite.  THAT is a real problem in discussions, as you can imagine.  Just imagine how awkward it is to type "does" when you mean "doesn't!

The keyboard is not my friend.  I should look into speech-recognition software.  Any suggestions anyone?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:41:55 AM
Well, I wasn't happy to point that out.  MY routine error is forgetting to put the "n't" on words I intend to contract.  Making them opposite.  THAT is a real problem in discussions, as you can imagine.  Just imagine how awkward it is to type "does" when you mean "doesn't!

The keyboard is not my friend.  I should look into speech-recognition software.  Any suggestions anyone?

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is what the government uses ... for medical transcription.

My problem is some of my keys are wearing out.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 04:00:57 AM
Dragon NaturallySpeaking is what the government uses ... for medical transcription.

My problem is some of my keys are wearing out.

Well, keyboards are cheap.  But the good news is better.  Keys can easily be pried off gently and replaced from old keyboards.  Done it myself several times.  And if I can do it, you can do it.

And in case you want to know, the way to clean a keyboard is to spray windex on a damp cloth and turn it upside down to wipe the keys after disconnecting the keyboard.  Looks brand new.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 04:59:18 AM
Well, keyboards are cheap.  But the good news is better.  Keys can easily be pried off gently and replaced from old keyboards.  Done it myself several times.  And if I can do it, you can do it.

And in case you want to know, the way to clean a keyboard is to spray windex on a damp cloth and turn it upside down to wipe the keys after disconnecting the keyboard.  Looks brand new.

Your sharing kindness is legendary ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 08:36:10 AM
Your sharing kindness is legendary ;-)

It would be cruel of me to fail to share my wisdom.  (koff, koff)