News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello fellow humans :)

Started by luckswallowsall, September 26, 2018, 04:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckswallowsall

Hello. I'm a 30 year old male atheist from England.

I am interested in debate, being logical, and philosophy.

I look forward to some interesting discussions here.

Unbeliever

Hi luckswallowsall!

Welcome to the forum, I hope you'll have as much fun here as we do. Have you always been atheist, or were you, like many of us, a convert?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Sal1981

Hi,

I like being illogical and ramble on.

Blackleaf

Greetings, fellow Devil Worshiper. Our weekly indoctrination rituals are held on Wednesday nights, and they are BYOB: Bring Your Own Babies. We supply the fire pit and the dipping sauce.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

aitm

I have no idea of what you speak of. This is a forum for cooking.....I have no idea what atheist means...thought it was a pinache pan....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 26, 2018, 04:15:16 PM
Hello. I'm a 30 year old male atheist from England.

I am interested in debate, being logical, and philosophy.

I look forward to some interesting discussions here.

Welcome 30 year old male atheist from England.  How did you become an atheist?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 26, 2018, 04:20:19 PM
Have you always been atheist, or were you, like many of us, a convert?

I never believed in a religion. I live in the UK where it is less religious... and when Christianity was taught to me at school I always assumed that the bible was just stories like Aesop's Fables that my dad used to read to me as a child.

I never believed in Jesus or took any of the stories literally. I just thought Jesus was a nice guy, not the actual son of God. I assumed that that was just part of the story.

However, I did believe that a god created life... as I didn't know about evolution until I was 10 years old. When I learned of evolution at the age of 10... I stopped believing in a god right that day. I remember saying to my dad "But if life can just evolve... then what does god do?" and my dad couldn't answer. As my dad was kind of agnostic himself.

So that's it really. I was a deist until age 10. I've been an atheist ever since.

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 26, 2018, 04:43:07 PM
Hi,

I like being illogical and ramble on.

I also like to ramble on.

But if you like being illogical then we may not get along very well!

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2018, 05:04:46 PM
Greetings, fellow Devil Worshiper. Our weekly indoctrination rituals are held on Wednesday nights, and they are BYOB: Bring Your Own Babies. We supply the fire pit and the dipping sauce.

Oh I'm not a Satanist... I'm just an atheist. I think Satanism is as illogical as Christianity.

What do you mean about the baby part?

luckswallowsall

Quote from: Cavebear on September 26, 2018, 11:49:40 PM
Welcome 30 year old male atheist from England.  How did you become an atheist?

By learning of evolution at about age 10.

Cavebear

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 06:57:34 AM
I never believed in a religion. I live in the UK where it is less religious... and when Christianity was taught to me at school I always assumed that the bible was just stories like Aesop's Fables that my dad used to read to me as a child.

I never believed in Jesus or took any of the stories literally. I just thought Jesus was a nice guy, not the actual son of God. I assumed that that was just part of the story.

However, I did believe that a god created life... as I didn't know about evolution until I was 10 years old. When I learned of evolution at the age of 10... I stopped believing in a god right that day. I remember saying to my dad "But if life can just evolve... then what does god do?" and my dad couldn't answer. As my dad was kind of agnostic himself.

So that's it really. I was a deist until age 10. I've been an atheist ever since.

Congratulations and welcome to the club.   I hope you stay that way.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 06:58:18 AM
I also like to ramble on.

But if you like being illogical then we may not get along very well!
That was just me being a contrarian. I tend to be mostly rational and down-to-earth logical for the most part.

SGOS

Quote from: luckswallowsall on September 27, 2018, 06:57:34 AM
I was about that age when I first heard about evolution.  That was 65 years ago.  My dad told me about it, and it just made sense.  My dad had a close fundamentalist friend named Bernie, and my dad told me that Bernie didn't believe in evolution.  So one day Dad, Bernie, and I were walking down the side walk, and I asked Bernie why he didn't believe in evolution.  Bernie picked up a green leaf that had fallen from a tree, and showed it to me, not that I'd never looked at a leaf before.  I mean what little did never picked up a leaf and wondered about it?  He pointed out the shape and the tiny veins that crept through it forming a random pattern that carried the nutrients to all the parts.  He said, "This is just too complicated to be an accident."  I politely acknowledged, but I understood enough about evolution to realize that shape and random patterns didn't mean it couldn't have happened over years of tiny changes.  It was like Bernie thought that one day all the parts of a fully formed leaf just came into being, and presto!  We had trees from that day on.

Years later, I heard about irreducible complexity of the eye and how an eye couldn't develop over time, and I thought, "Gee, that sounds just like Bernie."