News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Trumps U.N speech

Started by Munch, September 26, 2018, 05:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 26, 2018, 07:17:02 AM
When the EU was first created, mostly I wondered about it.  It may turn out to be a failed experiment.  Even if it was founded on good intentions, it will always be subject to corruption like any political system.

The larger the political body, the more the power and money involved.  And the greater corruption.  A one-world government would be the most corrupt imaginable.  The desire to avoid war is good, but just converting inter-national war into civil war is not an improvement.  The US is at edge against itself, and are far more united than Europe.

On the other hand, excessively small states (Greek city states) aren't that much good either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 26, 2018, 05:24:33 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-KObuxIMM

Well, this was surprising.

I agree with a lot of what he said, speaking as a Brit wanting similar acts within my own country.

Just wish my own leaders had the balls to say it.

So let's see this get ripped apart now.

God, it's so painfully obvious when he's reading from a teleprompter. He sounds nothing like this when he's speaking his own mind. Yeah, I actually do agree with some of the things he says, although I wonder who it was who actually wrote those things for him to say.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2018, 02:30:27 PM
God, it's so painfully obvious when he's reading from a teleprompter. He sounds nothing like this when he's speaking his own mind.

True.

Also @Munch  You realize its not Trump talking right?

Unbeliever

Trump should be laughed at every time he shows his face or speaks in public.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

God, it's so painfully obvious when he's reading from a teleprompter. He sounds nothing like this when he's speaking his own mind. Yeah, I actually do agree with some of the things he says, although I wonder who it was who actually wrote those things for him to say.

my take is, even if he didn't write this himself, and another person wrote it, trumps still reading it out, suggesting he might actually agree with whats being said by the guy who wrote it.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 26, 2018, 02:33:06 PM
True.

Also @Munch  You realize its not Trump talking right?

you'd honestly have to back that claim up. I don't like him either, but if someone like him can speak about actual issues the world is facing, things only the most virulent detractor would ignore because hating on someone who more important to them then recognizing those issues, then yeah, I can see why certain people might not want to hear him saying it.

You know the phrase a stopped clock is right twice a day.

GSOgymrat

God, it's so painfully obvious when he's reading from a teleprompter. He sounds nothing like this when he's speaking his own mind.

I'm grateful he read a teleprompter. Addressing the other leaders of the world isn't the time for extemporaneous speech. God, what I nightmare that would have been!

I can't comment on the speech because I didn't watch the entire thing. The impression that I get is Trump was laughed at after the comment "In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country." This is part of a speech that he has given around the country, it works with his base, but it is self-aggrandizing, inaccurate and not appropriate at a UN general assembly. The Left and Right are spinning the incident to reinforce their own narratives, which they always do.

As far as globalism and nationalism, I don't believe in either, or I believe in both, depending on which you prefer. I believe in addressing problems on a case-by-case basis without the constraints of adhering to an ideological framework.

And just because I think Trump is a terrible president I don't automatically think everything he does is bad. I will say that almost anything Trump does, other people could have done it better.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 26, 2018, 03:23:00 PM
my take is, even if he didn't write this himself, and another person wrote it, trumps still reading it out, suggesting he might actually agree with whats being said by the guy who wrote it.

So it was wrong when Anne Hathaway did it, and commendable when Trump does it...

Righty-o then.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 26, 2018, 03:23:00 PM

Maybe, but I don't know if he deserves that much credit. Someone smarter than him wrote his speech, and I don't know if Trump even fully comprehends the things he said. I'm not just saying that because I don't like him, because there have been times where he was speaking on the fly, and I did agree with him. The thing is most of the time when he's left to fend for himself and rely on his own intellect, he's shown himself to be pretty dim. I mean, this guy thinks that Info Wars is real news for fuck sake. I think most Conservatives are intelligent enough to know that Info Wars is moronic, but Trump doesn't have the brain cells.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 26, 2018, 03:47:57 PM
So it was wrong when Anne Hathaway did it, and commendable when Trump does it...

Righty-o then.

You saying Anne Hathaway didn't write her own speech and someone else did it for her?

Righty-o then.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 26, 2018, 04:13:41 PM
Maybe, but I don't know if he deserves that much credit. Someone smarter than him wrote his speech, and I don't know if Trump even fully comprehends the things he said. I'm not just saying that because I don't like him, because there have been times where he was speaking on the fly, and I did agree with him. The thing is most of the time when he's left to fend for himself and rely on his own intellect, he's shown himself to be pretty dim. I mean, this guy thinks that Info Wars is real news for fuck sake. I think most Conservatives are intelligent enough to know that Info Wars is moronic, but Trump doesn't have the brain cells.

It opens the floor though at just how many other presidents had someone come up with their u.n address speech, cause for all we know, it's the same for every one before.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on September 26, 2018, 04:17:31 PM
It opens the floor though at just how many other presidents had someone come up with their u.n address speech, cause for all we know, it's the same for every one before.

I don't always trust Presidents, or politicians in general, to say what they mean. In fact, I consider a large portion of them to be deceitful vipers. They say one thing and do another. Trump, however, is unique because he isn't smart enough to be deceitful. It's not that he doesn't lie, but that he doesn't know when to lie. He's said some things in the past that should have got him in trouble, except that his fan base is too loyal to throw him under the bus. He's too stupid to be a backstabbing politician. When Obama read off of the teleprompter, it sounded like him speaking because he always had an air of intelligence. But when Trump reads off the teleprompter, it sounds like a child reading a college textbook they don't understand.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

That's what makes trump so entertaining, he really does just speak his mind, it's probably the most honest president the US has had in a long time, not that it benefits knowing what goes on inside his head lot of the time.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 26, 2018, 04:15:00 PM
You saying Anne Hathaway didn't write her own speech and someone else did it for her?

Righty-o then.

Repeating what you said does not mean I agree with it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

_Xenu_

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 26, 2018, 03:28:01 PM
I'm grateful he read a teleprompter. Addressing the other leaders of the world isn't the time for extemporaneous speech. God, what I nightmare that would have been!

Nah. He could threaten a war with Europe and we would forget in a week.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home