No Prison Sentence for Kidnapping, Strangling, Masturbating on Woman

Started by Shiranu, September 23, 2018, 01:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/21/us/alaska-assault-man-no-sentence/index.html

QuoteA man in Anchorage, Alaska, pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman who said he strangled her unconscious and sexually assaulted her.

The man then walked out of court with no prison sentence.

"But I would like the gentleman to be on notice that this is his one pass," prosecutor Andrew Grannik said in court Wednesday, CNN affiliate KTVA reported. "It's not really a pass, but given the conduct, one might consider that it is."

Justin Schneider, 34, was accused of kidnapping and assaulting the woman on August 15, 2017, strangling her until she lost consciousness and then masturbating on her, court documents show.

Grannik said Schneider had lost his job as an air traffic controller for the federal government as a result of the case. Grannik said that was a "life sentence," according to KTVA.

"I would just like to emphasize how grateful I am for this process," Schneider said, not mentioning the impact on the victim, KTVA reported. "It has given me a year to really work on myself and become a better person, and a better husband, and a better father, and I'm very eager to continue that journey.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

We could fill a whole thread with similar injustices.

Man who tied up, sexually assaulted 14-year-old girl will serve no jail time

https://wreg.com/2018/08/10/man-who-tied-up-sexually-assaulted-14-year-old-girl-will-serve-no-jail-time/

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. â€" A former Virginia high school student who sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl will serve no active prison time, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Logan Michael Osborn, 19, pleaded guilty in September to the charge of having carnal knowledge of the girl. At the time, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with eight years suspended.

In early January, Chesterfield Circuit Court Judge T.J. Hauler decided to pause the two-year term, saying that he wanted more time to review the case. On Wednesday, he declined to reinstate the original sentence.

“The family is disappointed that the defendant will not serve any active incarceration for the brutal attack on the victim,” Chesterfield prosecutor Erin Barr told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “They do not believe justice has been served and shared concern for community safety and future potential victims.”

Osborn, then a student at Cosby High School, sexually assaulted the 14-year-old girl after they attended a school play together. Prosecutors said Osborn went on a walk with the girl, who didn't know the Cosby campus, and when the path ended at a fence, Osborn became aggressive.
Barr said he forced the 14-year-old onto her knees, then tied a belt around her neck and hands before the assault. Osborn released her around the time her mother was supposed to pick her up.

The girl's mother knew something was wrong, and the teen told her what happened during the ride home, Barr said.
In Virginia, individuals aged 17 or younger are not legally able to consent to sexual activity.

Barr argued that the former high school wrestler had a history of sexual assault â€" at the age of 12 he was charged with grabbing a student's genitals, according to the paper. Girls accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior on seven different occasions, Barr said.

Clinical psychologist Dr. Evan Nelson also testified that Osborn has a "moderately high risk" of reoffending, based on standardized tests.
Osborn, who will have to register as a sex offender, lost an academic scholarship to the University of Mary Washington, according to the Times-Dispatch.

Draconic Aiur

Are they celebrates or rich? Because that's how corrupted 1% act. Always.

Cavebear

There are criminals everywhere.  And I generally assume that all criminals are, in some way, insane.  And one can argue about what acts should be considered "criminal" (should giving your college roomie a reefer really be "criminal")?  But real crimes should be dealt with immediately.  Sexual assault in any form should result in a jail sentence of rehabilitation therapy.

That gets into the purpose of imprisonment and a lot of grey areas.  Evidence is usually lacking.  But routine legal and college dismissals of such crimes has to end.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Yeah, I don't understand laxness with college students, because generally they are 18+ and can be charged as adults.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 06:44:06 AM
Yeah, I don't understand laxness with college students, because generally they are 18+ and can be charged as adults.

First year away from home and able to buy and drink beer to beer to beer utter beer excess beer?   Who remembers that year.  Month?  Week, Decade?

Then it was Finals week and OMG!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 23, 2018, 01:30:14 AM
We could fill a whole thread with similar injustices.

Man who tied up, sexually assaulted 14-year-old girl will serve no jail time

https://wreg.com/2018/08/10/man-who-tied-up-sexually-assaulted-14-year-old-girl-will-serve-no-jail-time/

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. â€" A former Virginia high school student who sexually assaulted a 14-year-old girl will serve no active prison time, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Logan Michael Osborn, 19, pleaded guilty in September to the charge of having carnal knowledge of the girl. At the time, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison, with eight years suspended.

In early January, Chesterfield Circuit Court Judge T.J. Hauler decided to pause the two-year term, saying that he wanted more time to review the case. On Wednesday, he declined to reinstate the original sentence.

Barr said he forced the 14-year-old onto her knees, then tied a belt around her neck and hands before the assault. Osborn released her around the time her mother was supposed to pick her up.

Barr argued that the former high school wrestler had a history of sexual assault â€" at the age of 12 he was charged with grabbing a student's genitals, according to the paper. Girls accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior on seven different occasions, Barr said.

I see a judge who needs to be gotten off the bench.  I can't imagine any extenuating circumstances, especially considering the plea of guilty, the nature of the offense, and the previous record of GSI.

Aww, the poor boy lost his scholarship to college.  I can only assume the judge thinks that's a fair and equitable punishment.

Hint: it's not.

Oh, and surprise surprise.  The offender is white.  Anyone who thinks a black offender would have gotten off as easily, hands up?

*crickets chirp*
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

When someone goes unpunished for such behavior, doesn't that encourage them to do it again? What kind of criminal justice system do we have in this country!? The judge should be prosecuted for aiding and abetting - he's an accomplice after the fact.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

I'm not trying to downplay this in any way, what happened here is horrible, and these bastards should be castrated as far as I'm concerned for causing that kind of harm.

This made me curious though, and googling the line 'men sexually assaulted by women or other men', or 'male victims of sexual assault', or similar wording, and I found next to nothing.

Had to go to youtube to try and find something. This story was from back in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MfVv_ljeSE

its fucking disgraceful, how many male victims of rape there are, but the media doesn't do shit to support them, bring awareness to it.

there was one comment in the comment section that made me skip a breath.

Quote"Because I'm a boy, I'm not allowed to say what happened to me was rape. Not because it would ruin my "masculinity", but because nobody would care, nobody would believe. I feel violated, numb,and  disgusted each time I look into the mirror. I Thank you for sharing this story, it lets me know that I'm not alone."

I have tried to find stories of rapists who raped male victims not being arrested too, but again, it's hard to find reports of male rape victims itself, which makes you realise just how many rapists who do this aren't even caught
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

Part of my job is asking patients about physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Men are definitely sexually abused by both men and women but they are less likely to report it. Women are more frequently the target of sexual abuse and assault. While male sexual abuse and assault doesn't get the same amount of press as female sexual abuse it isn't completely ignored. The Catholic church scandals have brought the issue to the mainstream. I agree that it is a serious problem that needs more awareness.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 24, 2018, 03:36:27 PM
Part of my job is asking patients about physical, sexual and emotional abuse. Men are definitely sexually abused by both men and women but they are less likely to report it. Women are more frequently the target of sexual abuse and assault. While male sexual abuse and assault doesn't get the same amount of press as female sexual abuse it isn't completely ignored. The Catholic church scandals have brought the issue to the mainstream. I agree that it is a serious problem that needs more awareness.

It isn't just the lack of attention the media turns it's nose up at. It's the sad truth of how many don't report it happening to them, out of shame, fear of being labeled.

That in and of itself makes the statistics lower then it should be reported on.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2018, 03:16:35 PM
I'm not trying to downplay this in any way, what happened here is horrible, and these bastards should be castrated as far as I'm concerned for causing that kind of harm.

This made me curious though, and googling the line 'men sexually assaulted by women or other men', or 'male victims of sexual assault', or similar wording, and I found next to nothing.

Had to go to youtube to try and find something. This story was from back in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MfVv_ljeSE

its fucking disgraceful, how many male victims of rape there are, but the media doesn't do shit to support them, bring awareness to it.

there was one comment in the comment section that made me skip a breath.

I have tried to find stories of rapists who raped male victims not being arrested too, but again, it's hard to find reports of male rape victims itself, which makes you realise just how many rapists who do this aren't even caught
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 24, 2018, 06:22:41 PM

Giving some enlightenment on the fact of rape victims and certain ones who get ignored because of their gender.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2018, 06:25:08 PM
Giving some enlightenment on the fact of rape victims and certain ones who get ignored because of their gender.

Yeah, but it's completely out of left field and I don't see how it's relevant to the story at hand.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 24, 2018, 03:36:27 PM

In US view, it only takes 72 hours in a US jail before you become Bubba's girlfriend.  Yes, underreport that too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.