Video on NASA's "New Horizons" Probe's Discoveries at Pluto

Started by Shiranu, September 21, 2018, 01:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4kr36TzQ4&t=719s

I know we posted a few images here, but I don't remember much news about the breakthroughs. A couple of really interesting discoveries I didn't hear much, or anything, about as well as some photos I hadn't seen. It's insane to think that until the mid 2000s scientists didn't really care that much about Pluto, and didn't see results until it flew by Pluto in 2015 (and then sent that data back at 1/kbs...).

Look at that landscape... that is literally in the realm of fantasy, like something straight out of Star Wars or Star Trek, or some mythical land wrecked by magic.

Pluto and Chyron rotate around a point in space rather than Pluto being orbited, and that is in part because of the liquids of Pluto are being sloshed to one side of the planet thanks to the tidal effects of Chyron. That's insane.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

It's amazing that we live in a time in which such exploration is possible! What a marvelous set of objects are Pluto and its moons. It's much more interesting than I used to think it would be. I thought it was just a frozen, featureless ball, a boring place. I don't think that any more!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

This sort of thing is where I get a more fulfilling sense of awe than any religious belief, rite, or experience I ever had.  Reality is so much grander than anything we've imagined it would be.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 21, 2018, 04:52:52 PM
This sort of thing is where I get a more fulfilling sense of awe than any religious belief, rite, or experience I ever had.  Reality is so much grander than anything we've imagined it would be.

Pluto IS more interesting than we thought it might be.  Full justification to explore everywhere...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 07:12:33 AM
Pluto IS more interesting than we thought it might be.  Full justification to explore everywhere...

What about proctology?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 11:58:57 AM
What about proctology?

Well, first, "Procto" is a lousy name for a planet.  And second, Hawkings once never said that the Oort Cloud was a terrible place to look for planets!

Just ask him...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!