Atheist cant can get citizenship without joining church.

Started by Brian37, June 20, 2013, 06:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

It makes sense.  America is a Christian Nation after all.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

It's not "move to"; she's lived in the US for 30 years. She's being denied citizenship over this. Which is really stupid, of course.

WitchSabrina

She can prove her "against arms" manifesto using a church body to do it - that's all.  Spiritual and no violence whatsoever? I'm guessing an earth-based spiritual path she follows.  Probably no official church body.

What is really sad is that apparently the United States will not accept someone as a citizen unless they are willing to kill if necessary.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

QuoteShe can prove her "against arms" manifesto using a church body to do it - that's all.

So basically only a church has the authority to tell a government official that something is valid?

You'd think that'd break some kind of rule...

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteShe can prove her "against arms" manifesto using a church body to do it - that's all.

So basically only a church has the authority to tell a government official that something is valid?

You'd think - right?
Now here's the twister.   It takes nearly Nothing to establish a church.  It's a document form you get from your local county office.  You collect 10-20 names and you file with a church name.  You have to write a paragraph stating your manifesto as a church body (aka - what do you believe........ what do you do).  And presto - hey - you're a church.
My address used to be Bird Street and my church was Bird Street Church[1]  (wiccan).  ::shrug::
I can't believe this woman's story is in the news quite frankly.   Unless she's a hermit and knows No One - all she had to do was find a church like mine where in the description it reads "against violence"  and they'd have to accept it.

[spoil:3w2xnst8][1]  I made a church so I could be available for weddings, christenings and funerals.[/spoil:3w2xnst8]

Brian37

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Brian37"yea meaning she can get kicked out.

Citizenship is optional based on the behavior - right?  All countries have the right to determine what constitutes a proper citizen.
I'm not saying 'taking up arms to defend the United States' is necessary for 100% of it's citizens, myself.  Personally, I don't think that's necessary.

Brian37

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

You'd think - right?
Now here's the twister.   It takes nearly Nothing to establish a church.  It's a document form you get from your local county office.  You collect 10-20 names and you file with a church name.  You have to write a paragraph stating your manifesto as a church body (aka - what do you believe........ what do you do).  And presto - hey - you're a church.
My address used to be Bird Street and my church was Bird Street Church[1]  (wiccan).  ::shrug::
I can't believe this woman's story is in the news quite frankly.   Unless she's a hermit and knows No One - all she had to do was find a church like mine where in the description it reads "against violence"  and they'd have to accept it.

[spoil:1afuldfg][1]  I made a church so I could be available for weddings, christenings and funerals.[/spoil:1afuldfg]

No, she shouldn't have to explain herself to anyone. She shouldn't have to lie to anyone or fake anything.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Brian37"No, she shouldn't have to explain herself to anyone. She shouldn't have to lie to anyone or fake anything.

No I agree with you.  But if that's one of the stipulations to American Citizenship (must be age based - right?) - then there ya go.

The Skeletal Atheist

What the fucking fuck? This is the biggest piece of bullshit I've seen in a while. Unless I'm religious I can't have a moral objection to violence according to the Department of Homeland Security? FUCK YOU!

Seriously, is it that hard to think that someone may have a major problem with killing another human being? Fucking hell.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"What the fucking fuck? This is the biggest piece of bullshit I've seen in a while. Unless I'm religious I can't have a moral objection to violence according to the Department of Homeland Security? FUCK YOU!

Seriously, is it that hard to think that someone may have a major problem with killing another human being? Fucking hell.

I understand your outrage - that was my initial reaction too.  But then I thought about it........ and it seems that part of American citizenship is agreement to protect America (aka take up arms against enemies).  While I don't think it's necessary for all of our citizens to agree to take up arms (to me that's why we have a military)..... but "to defend against all enemies foreign and domestic"   has been the American *credo* [1] for quite a long time.
Using "religion" as an excuse to Not uphold certain rules is also an old standby.  

I might not agree with these things - but I do understand how and why they work as they do.

[1]  word chosen on purpose

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"What the fucking fuck? This is the biggest piece of bullshit I've seen in a while. Unless I'm religious I can't have a moral objection to violence according to the Department of Homeland Security? FUCK YOU!

I understand your outrage - that was my initial reaction too.  But then I thought about it........ and it seems that part of American citizenship is agreement to protect America (aka take up arms against enemies).  While I don't think it's necessary for all of our citizens to agree to take up arms (to me that's why we have a military)..... but "to defend against all enemies foreign and domestic"   has been the American *credo* [1] for quite a long time.
Using "religion" as an excuse to Not uphold certain rules is also an old standby.  

I might not agree with these things - but I do understand how and why they work as they do.

Yeah, but the point is that if a religious objection is valid reason to exempt that part, then a strongly held secular moral conviction should be a good reason as well. "It's against my religion" shouldn't be a catchphrase for getting out of civic duty, and in cases where it is a valid reason then secular convictions must be respected as well.

It's not a simple manner of "disagreement", it's a blatant double standard, and it's blatant discrimination in a way that goes against the equality clause in the Fourteenth Amendment. Basically, it's fucking illegal.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"

Yeah, but the point is that if a religious objection is valid reason to exempt that part, then a strongly held secular moral conviction should be a good reason as well. "It's against my religion" shouldn't be a catchphrase for getting out of civic duty, and in cases where it is a valid reason then secular convictions must be respected as well.

It's not a simple manner of "disagreement", it's a blatant double standard, and it's blatant discrimination in a way that goes against the equality clause in the Fourteenth Amendment. Basically, it's fucking illegal.

I agree with you.

SGOS

During times of crisis, like when the government doesn't believe an old lady is sincere about not wanting to kill the government's enemies, it is sometimes necessary to seek the counsel of a Christian church to know what to do with her.  Secular or not, you know that you can always believe a church, if it's a Christian church.