13,000 Immigrant Children Detained in U.S.

Started by Shiranu, September 18, 2018, 08:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/us/migrant-children-detention.html

-12,800 children are detained in internment camps.
-That is 5 times the number of children that was detained just a year ago.

That said, the number of children that were seeking refugee here alone has not increased in that time. The main issue is that now the families that would claim these children are too afraid to come forward and sponsor them for fear of it leading to their deportation.

The camps they live in have gone from an average of 30% capacity last year to 90% capacity this year, and simply put ICE just doesn't have the budget to adequately maintain or staff them.

The medical research is out there that these programs have major psychological impact on the children, even when they are being run efficiently. So we are creating literally thousands of emotionally scarred individuals who, if they are lucky, will finally be allowed to stay in the country but will never receive any help. That is the best case scenario, and that is terrifying.

This is completely on the hands of people like Trump and the racist Republicans who support his hateful ideology, and this is the type of mindset the European far-right is trying to adopt. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see why this is not a winning strategy and will only cause more harm than good.

If you have to break your ideals of liberty, equality, fraternity, the bedrock of Western culture... to protect liberty, equality and fraternity and to protect Western culture... then you have already lost your culture. It won't be the Mexicans, or the Muslims, or the Africans, or whoever who destroys it, it will be Westerners themselves.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2018, 08:13:05 AM
The main issue is that now the families that would claim these children are too afraid to come forward and sponsor them for fear of it leading to their deportation.

If the choice were to leave my child in a internment camp or be deported, I would be deported.

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2018, 08:13:05 AM
The medical research is out there that these programs have major psychological impact on the children, even when they are being run efficiently. So we are creating literally thousands of emotionally scarred individuals who, if they are lucky, will finally be allowed to stay in the country but will never receive any help. That is the best case scenario, and that is terrifying.

Yes, it is. Depending on the age of the child, separation from their primary caregiver can have long lasting effects.

Shiranu

QuoteIf the choice were to leave my child in a internment camp or be deported, I would be deported.

The thing is it's generally not their children; these are kids fleeing countries ravaged by gang violence, either to escape a life of crime or exploitation of crime... or to escape being executed with the rest of their family. They flee here where cousins or distance uncles or other distance family that escaped the country live and hope that the family name will be strong enough.

The children come here because their family doesn't want them, doesn't have their best interest in mind, or because they were killed, and hoping that (often) very distance family will risk sacrificing their lives to adopt them. That is a big gamble, and being sent back is essentially a death sentence for so many of these children.

That is happening in "the freest country in the world", and we are complete and utterly morally failing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

And yet people in my life still insist that Hillary would have been worse.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 18, 2018, 10:29:42 AM
And yet people in my life still insist that Hillary would have been worse.

No, any candidate not D or R would have been better, but would be unable to do anything.  Both parties in Congress would work hard to prevent anything being done. Until you get rid of partisanship, we need a Civil War to clear this up ;-(  Or just have a one party state like China, and kill all dissidents like in the Cultural Revolution.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2018, 10:22:08 AM
The thing is it's generally not their children; these are kids fleeing countries ravaged by gang violence, either to escape a life of crime or exploitation of crime... or to escape being executed with the rest of their family. They flee here where cousins or distance uncles or other distance family that escaped the country live and hope that the family name will be strong enough.

The children come here because their family doesn't want them, doesn't have their best interest in mind, or because they were killed, and hoping that (often) very distance family will risk sacrificing their lives to adopt them. That is a big gamble, and being sent back is essentially a death sentence for so many of these children.

That is happening in "the freest country in the world", and we are complete and utterly morally failing.

How much is Soros paying you?  (Rhetorical question).  The human race has been morally failing for millennia.  It didn't start 2 years ago.

If you care about children like these, become a foster parent, or STHU.  Handwringing or virtue signaling does nothing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on September 18, 2018, 12:47:35 PM
How much is Soros paying you?  (Rhetorical question).  The human race has been morally failing for millennia.  It didn't start 2 years ago.

If you care about children like these, become a foster parent, or STHU.  Handwringing or virtue signaling does nothing.

I second this notion.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on September 18, 2018, 02:32:52 PM
Nobody cared when Obama was in control.

Yeah, it was liberal utopia back then.  Obama personally went to Libya, dressed like Gandhi, and asked the warring factions to make peace.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

sdelsolray

Quote from: Baruch on September 18, 2018, 12:45:59 PM
Until you get rid of partisanship, we need a Civil War to clear this up ;-(  Or just have a one party state like China, and kill all dissidents like in the Cultural Revolution.

You are becoming more and more delusional as time passes.  Seek appropriate help from the mental health professional of your choosing.

Baruch

Quote from: sdelsolray on September 18, 2018, 07:57:28 PM
You are becoming more and more delusional as time passes.  Seek appropriate help from the mental health professional of your choosing.

Not at all.  I can see what a worthless ideology liberalism is today.  The people might be of some worth, but their insane obsessions aren't.

Go give all you have to nearest poor person ... if you are like Shiranu.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 18, 2018, 01:58:03 PM
I second this notion.

Of course you do, and that's why you are a dye-in-the-wool conservative, no matter how much you protest that you are a moderate. You are fundamentally opposed to essentially anything that ever runs contrary to your status quo. 

I have been very clear that I spend time working at the border with immigrant families, and predominately women and children. I have paid my share, and I still don't feel the need to hold it over people's head that they "aren't doing enough".

No one individual can do enough, that's the entire point of the government... to achieve things as a collective that we cant as individuals. I could literally spend every single second of my life from here on till my death helping these families, but at the end of the day it wouldn't mean much because the fundamental issues with immigration will be resolved by popular opinion and electing sympathetic politicians, not through hard work or individualism.

Quote from: pr126 on September 18, 2018, 02:32:52 PM
Nobody cared when Obama was in control.

Yeah, maybe because Obama didn't detain 13,000 children.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2018, 11:47:06 PM
Of course you do, and that's why you are a dye-in-the-wool conservative, no matter how much you protest that you are a moderate. You are fundamentally opposed to essentially anything that ever runs contrary to your status quo. 

I have been very clear that I spend time working at the border with immigrant families, and predominately women and children. I have paid my share, and I still don't feel the need to hold it over people's head that they "aren't doing enough".

No one individual can do enough, that's the entire point of the government... to achieve things as a collective that we cant as individuals. I could literally spend every single second of my life from here on till my death helping these families, but at the end of the day it wouldn't mean much because the fundamental issues with immigration will be resolved by popular opinion and electing sympathetic politicians, not through hard work or individualism.

Yeah, maybe because Obama didn't detain 13,000 children.

You forgot to call anyone who disagrees with you, a Nazi.  Are you feeling OK?

Actually it is OK to speculate what government improvement might improve things.  But on that score, I suggest you run for office.  Otherwise ...

And we already know you support completely open borders.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on September 18, 2018, 10:22:08 AM

WHOA there...  What evidence do you have that "it's generally not their children"?  That is very important.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 02:51:06 AM
WHOA there...  What evidence do you have that "it's generally not their children"?  That is very important.

The reports I have seen is that 1/6 are "unaccompanied".  They have no parents in custody to be returned to.  For the 5/6 ... their parents are in custody.  But this is a crooked statistic ... I usually don't quote Snopes:

https://www.snopes.com/news/2018/06/27/did-80-percent-undocumented-without-parent/

The actual percentage based on say one month of apprehensions, divided up into categories is unknown.  It seems the government has again flunked math.  Who knew?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.