News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Superman..

Started by Munch, September 17, 2018, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 20, 2018, 07:49:58 PM
Didnt get the idiom or proverb whatever it is. Generally it is hard to me to understand you and your rhetorik.

Blacks doesnt count as minority though. But the fields in politics businesses etc that they are effective are limited when looking at their population rate.

Correct.  There is a game, a con game.  A mark is found by an operator.  The operator puts a dried pea under a half-walnut-shell.  He has three shells.  The operator can manipulate the three shells very fast, and asks the mark to bet, which shell is the pea under now.  The mark loses his bet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGRbfN-_08

I never understand how a magician does it, but I never bet against a magician either!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 20, 2018, 09:33:46 PM
This is a compliment or what kind of irony or satire?
I just wonder if you side with Trump administration or not...?
I am looking for a job that is suitable my qualifications. Of course if i take invitation i may consider on it but Turkland government may charge me of betrsyal i am afraid...
Though, there is a coordination bureu of CIA in Turkish intelligence organization and USA and Turkland are allied two states...
Figure it out, brainac.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

pr126

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 20, 2018, 07:27:46 PM
What about " black barbie girl "...

Capitalism finally succeed at selling black barbies at toy stores and markets...to black gurls who once upon a time were slaves in amarica

First hijab-wearing Barbie released in tribute to Olympic athlete

Munch

Does Ken come with a matching Iranian husband getup and wife slapping hand action?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 20, 2018, 09:16:54 PMHydra Cap America was a bungled story, period. Maybe it was PC bullshit, but I am of the opinion that there are no bad plots, only bad execution of plots.
I've seen Suicide Squad and letmee tell ya, there absolutely are bad plots.

Hydra009

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 20, 2018, 09:16:54 PMTo the suits on high, it was never about "diversity" but rather about trying to get us to buy schlock stories that only pretended to be storytelling, using "diversity" as a gimmick to suck in the SJW crowd who never really cared about comics in the first place, and won't care afterward.
I've never understood the idea of pandering to people who aren't naturally interested in the product.  If I were to adapt a book for film, I'd try to win over the people who like the book first and foremost.  Then people who are interested in that particular genre.  Then the general public.  You know who'd be my dead last priority?  People who have never cared about anything even remotely similar to that book or are actively hostile to it.

Marketing comics movies to SJWs is like marketing supercomputers to the amish.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 21, 2018, 12:00:26 PM
I've never understood the idea of pandering to people who aren't naturally interested in the product. 

I suspect part of it is youth marketing. I'm sure analysts are telling the writers and producers that social justice "is what the kids today are into." It reminds me of the late 60's, early 70's when civil rights and flower power was in vogue and influenced movies and television

https://youtu.be/PvqDkPhD3jU

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 21, 2018, 09:20:56 AM
Does Ken some with a matching Iranian husband getup and wife slapping hand action?

Nah, Ken is too busy in his frat house raping unconscious women and enjoying society tearing her apart while he is granted a light sentence because, "His life shouldn't be ruined over this!"

You know, like a civilized country does, none of that desert sexism here!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 20, 2018, 09:16:54 PM
Well, brand recognition is a thing. That's not something you mess with without a compelling reason. It works with "what if" stories, but when it's treated as the color of a make of car, that's when I get turned off by it.
Hydra Cap America was a bungled story, period. Maybe it was PC bullshit, but I am of the opinion that there are no bad plots, only bad execution of plots. There was a good story screaming to get out in there, if only it was handled by a competent author. That's what's missing from both Marvel and DC lately. Instead of writing good stories about amazing people in amazing scenarios, we get cheap gimmicks and hack writing. There's no real storycraft involved; just cheap thrills.

The Silver Age of Superman was filled to the brim with unmitigated dreck. It is part of the reason why comic books became synonymous with shitty writing, flimsy plots, and action driven by stupidity in one form or another â€" literature suited only for little kids who didn't know any better. Those of us who lived through the Comics Renaissance have been spoiled by the gems that have been dropped, and gaze in dismay upon the current trend and don't realize that this is the way comics have been through most of their history. The Renaissance was followed by the Dark & Gritty Age, to be followed by the Big Shock Age, and then the Shovelware Age, and now we're in the next gimmicky age, the "Diversity" Age. It's just another gimmick that the "creators" are pulling out to get us to read their dreck. After the "Diversity" Age, there'll be another age of bullshit, and another gimmick â€" unless they finally learn their lesson this time and become storytellers again.
No. The problem runs much deeper than that. The gimmicky nature of the "diversity" train just exposes to people the truth: that these are just bad stories. They are bland, uninteresting, and do not carry any impermature of thought and craft â€" as proven by the racial/gender musical chairs. There's no real uniqueness to the characters, and no feeling that the stories they are in are theirs and theirs alone. It's paint-by-numbers, and has been such through most of the history of mass-entertainment.
Pfft, please. Barriers of race, gender, species, and even being biological have never stopped the determined fan from dressing up as their favorite character. This has never been about bowing to the fans, because the fans don't care. This has always been about "creators" disguising cheap gimmicks and schlock stories as good writing in order to boost sales.

Believe it or not, at least one franchise has made changing its main character on a semi-regluar basis work like a dream. The different iterations varied in interest, personality, and goals. There has even been an instance where one of the incarnations was a woman.

I'm not talking about the Doctor, either.

I'm talking about Hirohiko Araki's opus, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It goes from an English gentleman, to a American Brit, a Japanese tough-guy, a Japanese pompadour, an Itallian mobster-let, a young American woman of mixed ancestry, an American paraplegic jockey, and the current incantation, a Japanese wierdo. Each stage, Jojo made the transition successfully, with each Jojo having an adventure to call their own and uniquely theirs. All the Jojos are united by their bloodline and their names, yet none can substitute for each other. There are no cheap gimmicks here â€" just storycrafting by a master, and someone who loves what he does.

Back to American comics, one of my favorite series from Marvel was What If? which was basically an exploration of alternate Marvel histories curated by the Watcher Uatu. I haven't followed that particular comic in years (I understand it had changed drastically since I stopped), but when I was reading it, each comic explained how the situation came about, and how it resolved itself, with a veracity deserving of the House of Ideas that Marvel used to be. No cheap tricks and gimmicks, just storycrafting.

And again, both the above examples illustrate the main thrust: "diversity" is being used as a gimmick instead of a genuine storytelling tool. To the suits on high, it was never about "diversity" but rather about trying to get us to buy schlock stories that only pretended to be storytelling, using "diversity" as a gimmick to suck in the SJW crowd who never really cared about comics in the first place, and won't care afterward.

But they do ruin it.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 21, 2018, 01:16:11 PM
Nah, Ken is too busy in his frat house raping unconscious women and enjoying society tearing her apart while he is granted a light sentence because, "His life shouldn't be ruined over this!"

You know, like a civilized country does, none of that desert sexism here!

You mean like in Toy Story III?  Yeah, he was a plastic douche in that one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdndTE8ZFig
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 21, 2018, 02:07:34 PM
But they do ruin it.
Because they're hack writers chasing dollars, not art. They were ruining things when they were on the "Dark and Gritty" fad, they were ruining things when they were on the "Let's mature everything" fad, they were ruining things when they were on the "Let's reboot to make things easier to beginners" fad, and they're ruining things trying to appeal to the SJWs. If they really cared about comics as literature, they would have told every one of those SJWs to screw off and let them write the way they want and if the SJWs wanted "Diverse" comics their way, they should write it themselves â€" because, let's face it, that's the only way they would be satisfied. It's just this time there's a clear enemy, rather than our wounds being self-inflicted.

Anyway, JJBA and Marvel's What If series prove that you can change a main character entirely (in many senses) and still have comics that stand the test of time. It's just a matter of not being a hack writer writing for a dollar or chasing ill-defined "principles," but rather for the change to further a story.

Because that's what we're after, at the end of the day. The story.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

The Marvel "What If" series, IIRC had characters change (sorry, it's been a long time).  There would be issues having the Fantastic Four change powers.  Or heroes and villains exchanging roles, I think.  I loved those.  Now the movies are forcing that.

I admire the black Nick Fury character Head of SHIELD in the movies.  Samuel Jackson did an outstanding job as Nick Fury.  But I can't help remembering that the original Nick Fury was a tough white guy from Brooklyn who was the sergeant of 'The Howling Commandos" in WWII in the original comics.

Couldn't he have just been replaced?  Was the need for a military backstory something only the character of Nick Fury have done? 

I remember in the comics when The Black Falcon said "I'm just The Falcon".  That was cool.  OK, 'Black Panther' made sense, there are black panthers.  But what if they had made him caucasian later?  Wouldn't there have had to be some weird backstory about albino anthers or something? 

I think the best solution is just to make new characters who have no specific connection to race or ethnicities and elevate them and leave some characters to be as they were. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

The Phantom was a White "Black Panther" .. but he was racisssst.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.