News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Superman..

Started by Munch, September 17, 2018, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Superman, who is an extraterrestrial, having dark skin doesn't bother me. I like Jason Momoa as Aquaman even though he isn't blond and fair. Samuel L. Jackson is great as Nick Fury. I think Idris Elba would make a good James Bond. The race of a fictional character doesn't really matter to me unless race is an essential part of that's character's story, e.g. Storm or 1940's Captain America. Neither the Left (celebrate diversity) nor the Right (respect heritage) wants to live in a color-blind society, they both really, really care about race. Conservatives want the same stories repeated, progressives want to challenge the status quo.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 01:37:16 PM
which is exactly why the movies they made tanked and why marvel movies are still box office gold. Marvel is sticking to keeping the characters people have loved for years as close to the comic books as possible, while still having decent writing, actors and effects. They out thought into every detail, whole dc was only concerned with outdoing marvel.
I dunno about thinking out every detail, they have a quite a few improvised scenes/lines.  Thankfully, they worked with the rest of the movie to the point most people wouldn't know the difference.

But yes, the actors preparing for the roles is very different.

Marvel actors and directors seem to have a better command on the source material (IIRC, comics were banned on the set of Suicide Squad).

Marvel has the patience to do standalone films then bring them together in crossovers, while DC just tries to slap them on the screen and hope everything turns out okay (spoiler: it does not turn out okay).

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 17, 2018, 02:19:39 PMI like Jason Momoa as Aquaman even though he isn't blond and fair.
Imo, his Hawaiian heritage (and strong swimming abilities) made him a better candidate than he otherwise would be.  Now that's a guy who can successfully sell himself as a guy who knows his way around the sea.

QuoteThe race of a fictional character doesn't really matter to me unless race is an essential part of that's character's story, e.g. Storm or 1940's Captain America.
I agree, though deciding which character's race is essential to that character seems pretty arbitrary.

QuoteNeither the Left (celebrate diversity) nor the Right (respect heritage) wants to live in a color-blind society, they both really, really care about race. Conservatives want the same stories repeated, progressives want to challenge the status quo.
I dunno, I would really like to get to the point that race doesn't matter, much like being gay doesn't matter all that much now.

Hopefully, by that point our popular fictional characters will more closely reflect the general public, rendering this whole kerfuffle moot.

Munch

Race, gender and sexuality don't matter.. When your either making new characters or using ore established characters who are of those groups.
Changing a long time characters gender, skin or sexuality from their long time pre-established qualities if just forcing diversity for the sake of it.

Something like miles morales spiderman worked because it was a completely different character, he wasn't peter parker given black face. Something like john steward green lantern in justice league unlimited worked because the green lantern is an organisation and the title of green lantern is a soldier rank. These work because your taking character concepts while still gibing respect to the original (as it stands john steward is probably my favorite green lantern for this reason).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtdP4BbM5Q

Infact if they made a new green lantern movie about john steward, I'd be all for that. You could have Michael B Jordan or idris elba in the role.

But just making superman black face because trying to forcefully appeal to diversity is just shallow
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hakurei Reimu

My mantra is simple. If you're going to change anything from the source material, USE IT. Character integrity and history matters. Don't violate either unless you make use of it in the story â€" otherwise, it's just pointless, and that you think it's pointless (because you're doing it for such a shallow reason), and it's going to be obvious to everyone that it's pointless and gratuitous. I wouldn't object to making Superman black (after all, Krypton has an equator, too) if they used the fact that now he looks like a minority and would be treated as such to give an interesting take on the Man of Steel. How would the (white) Kents raise their black alien son? Let's face it, in that situation it's going to be obvious he is adopted, which might raise… questions. How would he be taught to deal with the racism that's undoubtedly coming his way? How would the US react that their Big Blue Boy Scout, the greatest citizen of the US, is black and not white? How would Lex Luthor react to that shit?

Even if he ends up as our recognizable Boy Scout in Red Outside Undies, the journey is going to be very different and I'd like to see how that plays out.

If you're doing it to please the SJW's forget it, because it's going to be terrible. DC doesn't learn that the story and character matter, and that's why they keep making terrible shit, and if they go through with this, it's going to be terrible just by going by DC's past track record. A miko can dream, though.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Munch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 17, 2018, 05:47:53 PM
My mantra is simple. If you're going to change anything from the source material, USE IT. Character integrity and history matters. Don't violate either unless you make use of it in the story â€" otherwise, it's just pointless, and that you think it's pointless (because you're doing it for such a shallow reason), and it's going to be obvious to everyone that it's pointless and gratuitous. I wouldn't object to making Superman black (after all, Krypton has an equator, too) if they used the fact that now he looks like a minority and would be treated as such to give an interesting take on the Man of Steel. How would the (white) Kents raise their black alien son? Let's face it, in that situation it's going to be obvious he is adopted, which might raise… questions. How would he be taught to deal with the racism that's undoubtedly coming his way? How would the US react that their Big Blue Boy Scout, the greatest citizen of the US, is black and not white? How would Lex Luthor react to that shit?

Even if he ends up as our recognizable Boy Scout in Red Outside Undies, the journey is going to be very different and I'd like to see how that plays out.

If you're doing it to please the SJW's forget it, because it's going to be terrible. DC doesn't learn that the story and character matter, and that's why they keep making terrible shit, and if they go through with this, it's going to be terrible just by going by DC's past track record. A miko can dream, though.

see this what you said is honestly brilliant and right on point.

It isn't just an easy case of making superman black, because a black man growing up in american, raised by white parents, would create a completely different backstory for him to the one clark kent has. You would need to develop a story like that heavily first, because you know, we've had tv shows of showing clark kent growing up and learning about his powers and his place in the world, but throwing in a race change, and acting like it would be exactly the same thing, is just lazy writing.

I imagine they could make a graphic novel about something like that, after all, they made superman red sun, an alternative timeline where he fell in russia, not the US, and developed into a completely different person because of it. That as a stand alone story however.

PickelledEggs

Yeah. It's so unrealistic to have a fictional alien to be a certain skin pigmentation.

YOU IDIOTS JUST WANT A WHITE GENOCIDE!

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2018, 05:54:32 PM
Yeah. It's so unrealistic to have a fictional alien to be a certain skin pigmentation.

YOU IDIOTS JUST WANT A WHITE GENOCIDE!

apparently some of us care more about character integrity more then others.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 06:03:54 PM
apparently some of us care more about character integrity more then others.
Than*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

PickelledEggs

I'm mostly kidding.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that you guys think this rumor is anything more than a rumor. It's barely even a rumor and I'm pretty sure it's just a trollish response to people reacting to the new James Bond casting to see how ruffled they can get their racist feathers in

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2018, 06:18:08 PM
I'm mostly kidding.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that you guys think this rumor is anything more than a rumor. It's barely even a rumor and I'm pretty sure it's just a trollish response to people reacting to the new James Bond casting to see how ruffled they can get their racist feathers in

In the current era we're living in where famous characters can be swapped out for a gender/race swapped version of themselves and expected to be taken seriously, there is a genuine reason to be suspicious

Though to be honest, I would think even people a race swapped version of superman would appeal to them, should be extremely worried at the prospects of it being a real thing, since DCs current track record for how they've handed dc movies, having a race swapped version of superman presented in an awful movie that gets panned would just created an even worse image for such a change.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 06:57:50 PM
In the current era we're living in where famous characters can be swapped out for a gender/race swapped version of themselves and expected to be taken seriously, there is a genuine reason to be suspicious
Can you name 3 comic book characters?

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 17, 2018, 07:00:19 PM
Can you name 3 comic book characters?

Thor, Wolverine, captain america, iron man, human torch, Heimdall, Mandarin, Valkyrie, Kingpin, Baron Mordo, Domino.

Unbeliever

That's not 3, it's 11 - you fail! ;-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on September 17, 2018, 07:07:51 PM
Thor, Wolverine, captain america, iron man, human torch, Heimdall, Mandarin, Valkyrie, Kingpin, Baron Mordo, Domino.

Speaking of Domino and actors whose race is inconsistent with the source material, I thought Zazie Beetz did a great job in Deadpool 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKjin2HnL4