News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Black Superman..

Started by Munch, September 17, 2018, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 17, 2018, 07:44:37 PM
Speaking of Domino and actors whose race is inconsistent with the source material, I thought Zazie Beetz did a great job in Deadpool 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKjin2HnL4

Dude, she killed it. I absolutely loved her portrayal.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 17, 2018, 10:41:28 AM
Self-hating whites want to vacate the gene pool?

BBC recruiting policy: White  males need not apply.

Its not "self-hating whites want to vacate the gene pool".  It inclusion.  I a few black kids can imagine themselves as Superman or some latino kid dreaming he could be Batman or an asian girl seeing herself as Wonder Woman, where is the harm? 

I experienced a bit of internal  surprise when Nick Fury (originally White of the WWII "Howling Commandos" - more stereotypical racist comic you could never find) and later Director of SHIELD was suddenly a black guy in the movies.  I got over it pretty quickly.  Its the character, not the race or gender that matters. 

We are all originally "Out Of Africa".  Skin color changes along the way north lightened our skins to collect more sunlight for Vitamin D.  We are all the same people genetically.  If you want to argue about national and regional cultures as some better and some less successful, go for that.  But not skin color.  And not gender.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

True, we are all Africans.  But also dumb monkeys.  We divide on the silliest of pretexts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

It's not that I "want" a black Superman. I could scream my preferences for a Superman from the highest roofs and it wouldn't make a whit of difference. Ultimately, Superman is DC's to revive or ruin. If DC wants to make Superman black, they'll make him black, for better or for worse.

It's just… I want it to be for the better. I want a new Superman film to succeed. Superman is an American icon, and he is the shining beacon of what we could be. It's aggravating to see the current caretakers of Siegel and Shuster's legacy just fumble things so badly with their flagship character, and that's with the white portrayals. Making Superman black stinks of a recolor â€" just like your old Superman, but BLACK! When Hasbro did it for Transformers, it didn't end at the recolor: a recolor came with its own history and personality â€" even for what nominally was the same character. DC needs the same attitude.

TL;DR â€" We're not here for the colors, or the genders; we're here for the characters, the plot, the drama, the action, the emotions, and so on.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on September 19, 2018, 08:59:27 AM
It's not that I "want" a black Superman. I could scream my preferences for a Superman from the highest roofs and it wouldn't make a whit of difference. Ultimately, Superman is DC's to revive or ruin. If DC wants to make Superman black, they'll make him black, for better or for worse.

It's just… I want it to be for the better. I want a new Superman film to succeed. Superman is an American icon, and he is the shining beacon of what we could be. It's aggravating to see the current caretakers of Siegel and Shuster's legacy just fumble things so badly with their flagship character, and that's with the white portrayals. Making Superman black stinks of a recolor â€" just like your old Superman, but BLACK! When Hasbro did it for Transformers, it didn't end at the recolor: a recolor came with its own history and personality â€" even for what nominally was the same character. DC needs the same attitude.

TL;DR â€" We're not here for the colors, or the genders; we're here for the characters, the plot, the drama, the action, the emotions, and so on.

Superman is not an American icon.  He is an alien icon and sent here for HIS (her) benefit.  And he isn't a beacon "of what we can be".  He is an icon of what HE (she) can be.  The S is the symbol of "Hope".  His (her) hope of survival beyond the death of HIS (her) planet.

Just a thought...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 09:37:31 AM
Superman is not an American icon.  He is an alien icon and sent here for HIS (her) benefit.  And he isn't a beacon "of what we can be".  He is an icon of what HE (she) can be.
Lex Luthor, is that you?  :P

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 19, 2018, 11:19:11 AM
Lex Luthor, is that you?  :P

No.  I have slightly more hair.  On the other hand, I am, apparently, smarter.  I don't make criminal plans that have attracted his (her) attention.  Yet.  The secret of being a criminal mastermind is that no one knows you are.  We serious masterminds play in the "unknown unknowns"...

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 09:37:31 AM
Superman is not an American icon.  He is an alien icon and sent here for HIS (her) benefit.  And he isn't a beacon "of what we can be".  He is an icon of what HE (she) can be.  The S is the symbol of "Hope".  His (her) hope of survival beyond the death of HIS (her) planet.

Just a thought...

Superman wasn't born on Earth, but he was raised in America since he was a baby. This world is all that he knows, and it's the world he identifies with. Contrary to his portrayal in the movies, he isn't some unapproachable god being. He considers himself one of us. He doesn't represent hope because he is the last surviving member of the Kryptonian race, but he is the hope of mankind.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 19, 2018, 12:07:38 PM
Superman wasn't born on Earth, but he was raised in America since he was a baby. This world is all that he knows, and it's the world he identifies with. Contrary to his portrayal in the movies, he isn't some unapproachable god being. He considers himself one of us. He doesn't represent hope because he is the last surviving member of the Kryptonian race, but he is the hope of mankind.

He was taught by messages from his parents on the journey here and later as an adult.  He is essentially a god on Earth by dint of his powers.  His "S" is the Krypton symbol of Hope" and that hope was that he would be powerful on Earth.  In the earlier comics he became all-powerful (except with bizarre and stupid forms of Kryptonite which made the comic a joke for decades) .

I will grant that he was raised American with 1949's values.  His closest analog is Captain America, I suppose, but far stronger.  Invincible even.    That was actually the original concept. 

Munch

What's that CB, your saying an outsider can't become an American icon? Because their an outsider?

I'm really disappointed in you.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 19, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
What's that CB, your saying an outsider can't become an American icon? Because their an outsider?

I'm really disappointed in you.

I'm saying that Superman  was sent to Earth FOR HIS OWN SUCCESS AND SURVIVAL and landed in the US where he accepted cultural norms of the locale.  Sounds like a successful illegal immigrant to me.  What would Trump make of such a person?

Munch

Why don't you ask him on twitter.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

We have laws on this planet. Aliens can't just land here and make themselves at home. They have to go through due process. Superman is stealing American super hero jobs. Furthermore, he's a refugee from a dying planet. We don't even know who he is. For all we know, he could be a terrorist. He must be deported from this planet.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 19, 2018, 12:41:08 PM
Why don't you ask him on twitter.

Presidente Wannabe For Life Trump declined my meeting request.  Whereof is this "twitter" you  speak so confidently of?

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 19, 2018, 12:45:15 PM
We have laws on this planet. Aliens can't just land here and make themselves at home. They have to go through due process. Superman is stealing American super hero jobs. Furthermore, he's a refugee from a dying planet. We don't even know who he is. For all we know, he could be a terrorist. He must be deported from this planet.

My earlier concern perfectly expressed...