News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

2018 Ig Nobels!

Started by trdsf, September 14, 2018, 10:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

That speculation (reality is a computer simulation) was exactly Drew's point, over a year ago.  Still funny?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I'm surprised that some of those paper airplanes actually hit the target!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Impressive paper airplane throwing!  But then, who else but obsessive science nerds would have constructed such good ones? 

I remember the good old days in college, living on the top floor of the 7 story dorm and sending paper airplanes out into the quad below to see whose would stay afloat the longest.  And guess who was best at it.  Not the science majors.  It was the non-science majors.  We (I was one of them) actually got to the point where we could have ours nearly float on the air currents.

The science guys went nuts trying to use their studies to make better paper airplanes,  We non-science guys just made a lot and tested them in the rec room.  The science guys made sharp flaps.  We made curled ones.  No reason, they just worked better.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I've used paper clips sometimes to weight them in a way that's adjustable. It often makes all the difference.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 15, 2018, 02:04:49 PM
I've used paper clips sometimes to weight them in a way that's adjustable. It often makes all the difference.

Paper clips are too heavy for sustained flight.  Flat toothpicks work well, though.  And we got to "bits" of toothpicks.  I didn't mean to suggest that the space engineering guys were knock-overs.  I just meant that curved flaps really bothered their sense of design and didn't bother we Arts guys.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!