Author Topic: 2018 Ig Nobels!  (Read 271 times)

Offline trdsf

2018 Ig Nobels!
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »
Enjoy.  I always do.  :D

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Baruch

Re: 2018 Ig Nobels!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:13 PM »
That speculation (reality is a computer simulation) was exactly Drew's point, over a year ago.  Still funny?
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
I'm surprised that some of those paper airplanes actually hit the target!
"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Isaac Asimov

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:03:39 AM »
Impressive paper airplane throwing!  But then, who else but obsessive science nerds would have constructed such good ones? 

I remember the good old days in college, living on the top floor of the 7 story dorm and sending paper airplanes out into the quad below to see whose would stay afloat the longest.  And guess who was best at it.  Not the science majors.  It was the non-science majors.  We (I was one of them) actually got to the point where we could have ours nearly float on the air currents.

The science guys went nuts trying to use their studies to make better paper airplanes,  We non-science guys just made a lot and tested them in the rec room.  The science guys made sharp flaps.  We made curled ones.  No reason, they just worked better.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
I've used paper clips sometimes to weight them in a way that's adjustable. It often makes all the difference.
"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Isaac Asimov

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
I've used paper clips sometimes to weight them in a way that's adjustable. It often makes all the difference.

Paper clips are too heavy for sustained flight.  Flat toothpicks work well, though.  And we got to "bits" of toothpicks.  I didn't mean to suggest that the space engineering guys were knock-overs.  I just meant that curved flaps really bothered their sense of design and didn't bother we Arts guys.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk