Author Topic: Extremely Sluggish Websites  (Read 351 times)

Offline SGOS

Extremely Sluggish Websites
« on: September 12, 2018, 10:40:06 AM »
I've encountered two or three websites that are always slow, Rural King, a dry goods outlet, is the worst.  It reacts at a speed way beyond sluggish.  It's so slow that early on, I thought my computer was jammed, and would just drive 30 miles to the store to see if an item was actually in the store as it was listed on their site, and sometimes it was not.

Now I click on an appropriate option, and go make coffee.  I suspect management doesn't realize it has created a business unfriendly option for people to buy goods.  They are a mostly walk in outlet that supports a website as an obligation:  "Hey everyone!  We have a website.  We are hip, so drive to our store."

Redbox is another one, but not as slow as Rural King.  And this is odd because they encourage people to use their website to reserve movies, and then create a crawler system.  It's also odd because their earlier web design was lightening fast.

Or is it me?  I don't think so because all other sites are lightening fast on my computer.  I think it's management that doesn't realize the importance of on line business and the ever increasing place it occupies in the economy.

Offline Cavebear

Re: Extremely Sluggish Websites
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 10:54:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've encountered two or three websites that are always slow, Rural King, a dry goods outlet, is the worst.  It reacts at a speed way beyond sluggish.  It's so slow that early on, I thought my computer was jammed, and would just drive 30 miles to the store to see if an item was actually in the store as it was listed on their site, and sometimes it was not.

Now I click on an appropriate option, and go make coffee.  I suspect management doesn't realize it has created a business unfriendly option for people to buy goods.  They are a mostly walk in outlet that supports a website as an obligation:  "Hey everyone!  We have a website.  We are hip, so drive to our store."

Redbox is another one, but not as slow as Rural King.  And this is odd because they encourage people to use their website to reserve movies, and then create a crawler system.  It's also odd because their earlier web design was lightening fast.

Or is it me?  I don't think so because all other sites are lightening fast on my computer.  I think it's management that doesn't realize the importance of on line business and the ever increasing place it occupies in the economy.

It's not just you.  Some sites I visit are slowing down.  Some demand a subscription for "full service" to provide what they offered before for free.  But things seem slower in general lately.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Online Hydra009

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
Slow-loading websites?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginwill help!

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »
Slow-loading websites?  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginwill help!

Ironically, it was slow to start to load.  And eventually didn't.

Online Hydra009

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:03:44 AM »
Ironically, it was slow to start to load.  And eventually didn't.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 11:48:40 AM »

OK.the loading bar was COOL!  I never saw one the started in the middle and moved to the edges.  But then I got an arc around a circle that kept going for 5 minutes before I gave up.  Firefox 63.Ob5. Maybe a beta?

Online Hydra009

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
I'm using Edge browser and it loaded nearly instantly for me.  :)

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
I'm using Edge browser and it loaded nearly instantly for me.  :)

Tried it on Safari too, no luck.  Is it a Windows thing?  I'm Mac.

Online Hydra009

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »

Offline SGOS

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 12:13:38 PM »
Tried it on Safari too, no luck.  Is it a Windows thing?  I'm Mac.
Pssst... I think Hydra is yanking your chain.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
We don't have Net Neutrality since last December.  Y'all aren't ΓΌbermensch enough to get true high speed, unless you want to pay extra.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline pr126

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 01:02:08 PM »
Try a different DNS server. 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.01

"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their free will."
 - Joseph Goebbels

Cognitive-dissonance is fighting for women's rights and LBGT rights while defending Islam and Muslims against "Islamophobia".

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 03:28:01 PM »
Try a different DNS server. 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.01

OK, you are beyond me there.  Might as ell be speaking 0s and 1s...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk