REPORT “OFFENSIVE” COMMENTS EVEN IF THEY’RE NOT “HATE CRIMES”

Started by pr126, September 11, 2018, 04:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

UK: POLICE TELL CITIZENS TO REPORT “OFFENSIVE” COMMENTS EVEN IF THEY’RE NOT “HATE CRIMES”

QuoteAn information page was also posted in a follow up tweet that states, “The Police can only prosecute when the law is broken, but we also want to know about non-crime hate incidents. These incidents may not be criminal offences but often can feel like a crime to those affected, and can sometimes escalate to crimes.”

The tweet prompted thousands of responses because it specifically tells people to report incidents that are not even crimes.

“This hadn’t been thought through properly at all. I can imagine e your frontline officers, already overworked, reading that tweet and staring miserably at their workload on the computer, desperately trying to remember why they joined the job,” tweeted one respondent.

Figures released in July show that only 9% of crimes end with suspects being charged or summonsed in England and Wales. In some areas of the country, police are advising citizens that they will stop investigating “low level crimes” like shoplifting, car crime and criminal damage due to budget cuts.

Meanwhile, over 3,000 people in the UK are arrested every year under section 127 of the Communications Act 2003, which makes it illegal to intentionally “cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another.”

Priorities. 

Bring on the Stasi

Baruch

The proposed EU Internet rules just redefine "shitposting".  All conservatives should troll all liberal Internet content, and be offended, and report them to the police.  This war to end all memes is going to be epic!

Merkel is the Stasi Queen of Europe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on September 11, 2018, 08:47:29 AM
They can get fucked.

UH OH, THEIR COMING FOR ME!

You are a double agent of the Fascists!  Gay and yet not crazy liberal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

If I reported everything that offended me,

then when would I find the time to get anything else done?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Gawdzilla Sama

The hard right doesn't realize they're acting just like SJWs, just from the reverse side of the coin. It's funny to see the same tactics from each side.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 11, 2018, 02:18:53 PM
The hard right doesn't realize they're acting just like SJWs, just from the reverse side of the coin. It's funny to see the same tactics from each side.

The hard left doesn't realize they are acting just like Nazis.  Both are damned.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Do you know how the Nazis acted!? I haven't seen anyone acting like that from the left or the right! You're just making more stupid talk so you can get a rise, and you got it.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 11, 2018, 08:02:15 PM
Do you know how the Nazis acted!? I haven't seen anyone acting like that from the left or the right! You're just making more stupid talk so you can get a rise, and you got it.

You are so triggered ... are you related to Roy Rogers' horse? ;-)

Yes, I have studied WW II and prior ... a lot.  Same as Gawdzilla.  The US wants Götterdämmerung ... and will get it nice and hard.

Is even discussing WW II .. a hate crime in Europe?  The OP y'know.  What about WW I?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 11, 2018, 08:28:55 AM
That what she did in the DDR.
Shaka, before the walls fell.

I remember that episode as one of ST:TNGs finest.  I looked it up because of your reference, to refresh my memory.  It said most Star Trek fans disliked it.  But I loved it.  There was a long discussion on allegories vs metaphors, but the important part was that understanding in the oddest of thought-processes was possible.

“Gilgamesh and Enkidu. At Uruk.”

And yes, I've read Gilgamesh...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 02:23:02 AM
I remember that episode as one of ST:TNGs finest.  I looked it up because of your reference, to refresh my memory.  It said most Star Trek fans disliked it.  But I loved it.  There was a long discussion on allegories vs metaphors, but the important part was that understanding in the oddest of thought-processes was possible.

“Gilgamesh and Enkidu. At Uruk.”

And yes, I've read Gilgamesh...

You were there ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found