Hurricane Florence prompts evacuation of more than a million people

Started by Hydra009, September 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 19, 2018, 03:44:08 PM
Purdue had a post office on campus, and stamp machines in the Commons.

:sniff:

Darn those fancy private colleges...  "sniff"...

;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: TrumpThis is a tough hurricane, one of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water.

What the hell does that even mean!?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2018, 06:34:12 PM
It means there's more and deeper groundwater than ever before. Extensive flooding for people who don't meteorology. Water on that scale is measured in acre/ft. One acre of water one foot deep.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 19, 2018, 01:51:33 PM
¯\_(ãƒ,,)_/¯

Just something I found funny.

In all seriousness, I wish them the best.  Though without fact-checking, it's pretty incomplete.  And it can't spot exaggerations like our "slippery grass" reporter nor pick up on selection basis (cherry-picking stories to hit the front page and burying equally or more important stories) or false balance (presenting opposing claims as equally valid despite a vast difference in factual support).  So, very limited.  I guess something is better than nothing, though.

With AI, only the programmers can be blamed, not the bureaucrats.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 19, 2018, 08:44:26 AM
People have been waiting for evidence, but they can still claim that this is a natural short term fluctuation.  Even scientists claim there are short term fluctuations in weather (which is not brilliant rocket science by the way).  They are just pointing out that any individual high or low temperature records are not evidence of a shift (which is not rocket science either).

We don't have to wait until Miami or Manhattan Island sinks into the ocean for evidence, however.  The physical properties of matter are enough to make predictions about climate.

Yes, move inland, young man - 21st century Horace Greeley.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 11:20:22 AM
The sad problem about Trump screaming "Fake News" every chance he gets is that sometimes there IS fake news.

All news is spin doctoring.  Even if the facts are correct, the spin is the big lie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 11:50:57 AM
To both of you, it is 2 things.  The first is the Big Lie.  Say something often enough, with authority, and people will believe.  If Trump said often enough that Columbus landed in SA in 1592 enough times, a lot of people would believe that.  Second is diminishing legitimate news sources.  The Trump campaign reported his inauguration was attended by millions, but  media said it was just tens of thousands.  Well, they must have been lying.

He does both daily.

They faked the photo ... they took a picture early before most people got into place.  Ban all news.  Only Pravda (DNC) will be allowed by Big Sister (Hillary).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Pat Robertson stopped a hurricane dead in its tracks with prayer! (well sorta, it still killed people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cflXQRiAqE

Can I get an AMEN? :angel:

It mostly missed me in central NC, but a lot of cities further south took a pounding.  I guess they didn't pray hard enough.  I mean, that's the only logical explanation.  What, you think it's all air pressure this and gulf stream that?  How reductionist!  I've never heard such nonsense.

Baruch

I hear the new problem, is the heavy rain has caused the pig farm waste ponds to overflow.  Suweeee!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 20, 2018, 12:23:44 AM
Pat Robertson stopped a hurricane dead in its tracks with prayer!
What a self aggrandizing prick.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 20, 2018, 12:23:44 AM
Pat Robertson stopped a hurricane dead in its tracks with prayer! (well sorta, it still killed people)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cflXQRiAqE

Can I get an AMEN? :angel:

It mostly missed me in central NC, but a lot of cities further south took a pounding.  I guess they didn't pray hard enough.  I mean, that's the only logical explanation.  What, you think it's all air pressure this and gulf stream that?  How reductionist!  I've never heard such nonsense.

Interesting coincidence, I was just over in the Superzeroes thread and mentioned how Christians think of prayer as a superpower. That sure seems to be how old Pat thinks of it!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2018, 01:38:22 PM
They've been developing algorithms that can spot fake news, so hopefully things will soon improve:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/fake-news-algorithm/

Who evaluates the algorithms?  They are secret.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 19, 2018, 06:34:12 PM

Many hurricanes blow through an area, drop 6" of rain, cause damage from wind, cause damage from storm surges, and pass over quickly.  Florence just sat and pulled water from the ocean and kept dropping it  in the same general area.  Then hit the Appalachians and (with the rising land) dropped the rest of what it had to flow downhill to the very areas that had been over-soaked to begin with.

THAT is what was bad about this one.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 01:08:29 AM
Who evaluates the algorithms?  They are secret.

CIA and FBI.  You will do what they say, or else!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.