Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I would like to clarify my earlier statement.  There is a subtle difference between hating someone for what they're doing and hating someone for what they are.  It's the difference between hating someone for being a POS and hating someone because you're a POS.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Orville, Wilbur! We're getting sixty mph winds across the wings. Should I release?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2018, 10:32:13 PM
I would like to clarify my earlier statement.  There is a subtle difference between hating someone for what they're doing and hating someone for what they are.  It's the difference between hating someone for being a POS and hating someone because you're a POS.
I was pretty sure that's what you meant, but I could see how some might make it or twist into something different.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2018, 10:32:13 PM

No difference, we are all POS.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

At 13:20 DeFranco talks about Hurricane Florence and how North Carolina's state government is preparing for future rising sea levels by ignoring the problem.

https://youtu.be/jE9S5Psybyw?t=13m22s

Hydra009

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 14, 2018, 10:17:53 AM
At 13:20 DeFranco talks about Hurricane Florence and how North Carolina's state government is preparing for future rising sea levels by ignoring the problem.

https://youtu.be/jE9S5Psybyw?t=13m22s

We can kill all the civilian car owners, that will reduce the CO2.

Actually, as in Texas as well, rising sea levels are public subsidy of beach houses of the wealthy, and shoring up oil refineries.  Welfare for the well off.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

As much as I feel sorry for people who's houses are destroyed by hurricanes and other coastal storms, I am getting rather tired of participating in insurance policies that allow them to keep rebuilding in the same place over and over again. 

Repetitive stupidity is not something I admire.

And beyond that, stop building close to rising shorelines people!  I suggest a new rule.  If you get an insurance settlement for a coastal-damaged property, the gummint takes the place and you move somewhere less stupid.  Eventually, the shores will be free of idiots living there.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:15:05 AM
As much as I feel sorry for people who's houses are destroyed by hurricanes and other coastal storms, I am getting rather tired of participating in insurance policies that allow them to keep rebuilding in the same place over and over again. 

Repetitive stupidity is not something I admire.

And beyond that, stop building close to rising shorelines people!  I suggest a new rule.  If you get an insurance settlement for a coastal-damaged property, the gummint takes the place and you move somewhere less stupid.  Eventually, the shores will be free of idiots living there.
So...depopulate the outer banks?  (even if we did, plenty of people would still live in the floodplains - areas highly susceptible to flooding)

And if we apply this argument consistently, we'd also depopulate California (earthquakes, wildfires), much of the 'heartland' (tornadoes), as well as Alaska and most of the Northeast (blizzards).  That leaves, what exactly?

Hydra009

1) We don't need reporters on the scene for natural disasters.  We have never needed reporters on the scene for natural disasters.

2) I've seen better acting from Star Trek extras.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 15, 2018, 12:30:36 AM
So...depopulate the outer banks?  (even if we did, plenty of people would still live in the floodplains - areas highly susceptible to flooding)

And if we apply this argument consistently, we'd also depopulate California (earthquakes, wildfires), much of the 'heartland' (tornadoes), as well as Alaska and most of the Northeast (blizzards).  That leaves, what exactly?

Depopulating the coastal flood regions would be a first rational step.  And I might well agree to stop supporting idiots who live on the slopes of volcanoes.  Some natural disasters are more random and unpredictable though.

Hydra009

The "coastal flood regions" is a pretty sizable chunk of land stretching from Texas to Maryland.  Even landlocked states get hit by hurricanes sometimes.

And for the most part, they do prepare.  There's a reason coastal buildings are typically on stilts.  They just don't/can't prepare of a storm of the century.

I look forward to some farflung future where our ability to influence the weather is so great that we regularly dissipate threatening hurricanes before they've gained enough strength to threaten us.  Mild storms would still happen of course, just not the kind with 100+ mph winds.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 15, 2018, 01:07:54 AM
The "coastal flood regions" is a pretty sizable chunk of land stretching from Texas to Maryland.  Even landlocked states get hit by hurricanes sometimes.

And for the most part, they do prepare.  There's a reason coastal buildings are typically on stilts.  They just don't/can't prepare of a storm of the century.

I look forward to some farflung future where our ability to influence the weather is so great that we regularly dissipate threatening hurricanes before they've gained enough strength to threaten us.  Mild storms would still happen of course, just not the kind with 100+ mph winds.

Stilt-houses are temporary solutions at best.  And "storm-of-the-centuries" are becoming decadely recently.  Inland areas survive well, except for people building on riverbanks.  What I want is for the government to stop guaranteeing rebuilding funds repetitively for places the get destroyed routinely.

Future weather control WOULD be nice, but I don't expect it soon.