Hurricane Florence prompts evacuation of more than a million people

Started by Hydra009, September 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 11, 2018, 01:26:12 AM
I guess I've acclimated to Greensboro. I've lived in Seattle and Los Angeles but where I would really like to live is Denver. No hurricanes in Colorado.

Lived there 25 years.  They have snow, traffic, and forest fires in the nearby mountains.  Smog not as bad as Los Angeles (I have lived there too).  Some people have difficulty with the aridity (dry air).  A few tornadoes and a few earthquakes.  Mostly thunderstorms and hail storms ... and we had one bitch of a cold snap one year, and one bitch of an ice storm one year.  So not perfect.  Perfect is an air conditioned office.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2018, 06:34:16 AM
Lived there 25 years.  They have snow, traffic, and forest fires in the nearby mountains.  Smog not as bad as Los Angeles (I have lived there too).  Some people have difficulty with the aridity (dry air).  A few tornadoes and a few earthquakes.  Mostly thunderstorms and hail storms ... and we had one bitch of a cold snap one year, and one bitch of an ice storm one year.  So not perfect.  Perfect is an air conditioned office.

I LOVE air conditioning. Having grown up without it, I don't take it for granted.

Sal1981

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 11, 2018, 09:49:00 AM
What preparations are you doing for the hurricane?

I have a gasoline generator ready. Electric chainsaw batteries are charged to cut fallen limbs. I also have jugs of water because we have a well and when we lose power we lose water. Fortunately our property isn't subject to flooding.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 11, 2018, 09:43:26 AM
I LOVE air conditioning. Having grown up without it, I don't take it for granted.

I remember when the State of Indiana built a new hospital at our county seat. The old was not going to be easily adapted to air conditioning. They kept the old one open for two years for people who didn't like A/C.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Keep yourself safe and listen to the forecast, you probably already know where they are but if not find put where the local storm shelters are and be prepared for heading there
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 11, 2018, 09:43:26 AM
Growing up in Chicago during the 40s and 50s, only a couple of my friends family's had it, and it would be confined to the living room of their house.  Our family never had AC in the house or a car.  I remember the movie theaters had it.  Coming out of a double feature (which was always the norm) on a hot Saturday afternoon, the heat and humidity was always a surprise.  It was oppressive for an hour and then I would adjust.  But in a car or at home, we made do with open windows.  Even today, I bask in my AC as some kind of unexpected decadent luxury , and I happily pay the power company almost anything they demand. 

GSOgymrat

We had a whole house attic fan. On hot nights I would put a damp towel in front of the open the bedroom window.

Unbeliever

I grew up in the south, but I don't recall even noticing the temperature until I was well into adulthood.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 11, 2018, 09:49:00 AM
What preparations are you doing for the hurricane?
Hunker down and try not to think about it, mostly.  I'm getting provisions tonight.

Hydra009

It's like Day 1 of the zombie apocalypse out there.

Lots of refugees from the east.  Clogged highways.  Barren supermarkets.  Gas stations positively swarming with cars.  Dead things in the water.

Worst of all, I get nagged about moving stuff until I agree, then we can't do it now (cause the kardishians are on tv :vomit: ), we have to do it when it's convenient, which is the asscrack of the morning (I never liked sleep anyways).

But I stocked up on some essential groceries.  Pizza, chocolate milk, and carolina reaper paste.  I figure if the reaper's coming for me, it ought to be the right one.

Draconic Aiur

Cavebear

I see from the latest tracking maps that Hurricane Florence will strike NC around Wilmington.  My thoughts go to them.  But the path seems to stay in NC due to some heavy high pressure system sitting over me right now (also drenching us in rain for a week now).  But 6" is better than 20".

Also, last I saw on the news, even hardened "sitters" are evacuating.  Good.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!