Hurricane Florence prompts evacuation of more than a million people

Started by Hydra009, September 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Link

QuoteThe National Hurricane Center warned that the storm, which jumped to Category 4 strength on Monday with 140 mile-an-hour winds, could pummel the shore with life-threatening storm surges and soak a wide area with rains so heavy that freshwater flooding would become a major threat. It is expected to make landfall Thursday night near the North Carolina-South Carolina border.

Quote“The forecast places North Carolina in the bull’s-eye of Hurricane Florence, and the storm is rapidly getting stronger,” Governor Cooper said. “When weather forecasters tell us ‘life-threatening,’ we know it’s serious. We are bracing for a hard hit.”

Hurricane Florence tracker

Coming straight at me.  FML.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I was just checking this out. A cat. 4 hurricane is nothing to sneeze at, but I wonder how many will try to stay and tough it out. Mandatory evac order though, so maybe they'll all go.

Are you going to hunker down, or get the hell out?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Draconic Aiur

Unbeliever

It's supposed to miss Floriduh to the north, so hopefully Hydra will be hunky dory.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 10, 2018, 08:59:09 PM
Yeah, I was just checking this out. A cat. 4 hurricane is nothing to sneeze at, but I wonder how many will try to stay and tough it out. Mandatory evac order though, so maybe they'll all go.

Are you going to hunker down, or get the hell out?
I'm further inland, so unless we're ordered to leave, I'm staying put and hunkering down.

I have two packs of cookies, some ginger ale, and a nook, so I'm well prepared for an extended power outage.

Hydra009

Unbeliever

Oh, you poor dear! Not because of the hurricane, but - you live in North Carolina!

I was born in South Carolina, but I didn't like it, so I left when I was 3 years old.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 10, 2018, 09:06:13 PM
Oh, you poor dear! Not because of the hurricane, but - you live in North Carolina!
Hot, humid (and unbelievably oppressive) summers.  Hurricane-prone summer/fall.  Mild winters in theory, but lots of unexpected cold snaps.  But I swear, it's nice here for like 3 weeks in the fall and the entire 2-week spring.

Unbeliever

I found a place where the weather is great 100% of the time! Well, almost...
God Not Found

SGOS

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 10, 2018, 10:43:08 PM
Then why worry? Your not bitch ass Florida.
The hurricane is headed for NC, not Florida.

And because I'm one of the idiots who lives in NC.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 10, 2018, 09:12:00 PM
Hot, humid (and unbelievably oppressive) summers.  Hurricane-prone summer/fall.  Mild winters in theory, but lots of unexpected cold snaps.  But I swear, it's nice here for like 3 weeks in the fall and the entire 2-week spring.

I guess I've acclimated to Greensboro. I've lived in Seattle and Los Angeles but where I would really like to live is Denver. No hurricanes in Colorado.

Blackleaf

I have a grandmother who lives in Beaumont, North Carolina. Didn't seem like a particularly friendly atmosphere for a black man with all the Confederate flags everywhere. Odd that Yahweh would send a hurricane to hit such a dense Southern Conservative Christian state. I guess he just missed the gays again.

In all seriousness, though, I hope the hurricane misses you. Stay safe. And if you are forced to evacuate the state, don't forget to buy me a t-shirt.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--