Hurricane Florence prompts evacuation of more than a million people

Started by Hydra009, September 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I live in a very safe area, St. Louis. It's 358 ft above sea level and far from any coast. We have beautiful scenery, the city is surrounded by three large rivers, Meremac, Missouri, and Mississippi, so we have lots of boating. The summer breeze bring EF5s so we can make crazy-mad Youtubes ("found footage" is epic) and the New Madrid Fault is just waiting to test the safety of our tall buildings, saving us loads of money in "conventional" testing.

So yeah, them coastal types are just crazy, man.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 06:00:23 AM
I live in a very safe area, St. Louis. It's 358 ft above sea level and far from any coast. We have beautiful scenery, the city is surrounded by three large rivers, Meremac, Missouri, and Mississippi, so we have lots of boating. The summer breeze bring EF5s so we can make crazy-mad Youtubes ("found footage" is epic) and the New Madrid Fault is just waiting to test the safety of our tall buildings, saving us loads of money in "conventional" testing.

So yeah, them coastal types are just crazy, man.

Beware New Madrid.  It's just waiting to happen. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 01:26:53 AM
Stilt-houses are temporary solutions at best.  And "storm-of-the-centuries" are becoming decadely recently.  Inland areas survive well, except for people building on riverbanks.  What I want is for the government to stop guaranteeing rebuilding funds repetitively for places the get destroyed routinely.

Future weather control WOULD be nice, but I don't expect it soon.

That is a practical suggestion.  But the plutocracy owns the beaches, so they will get their crony capitalism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 06:06:41 AM
Beware New Madrid.  It's just waiting to happen. 
" New forecasts estimate a 7 to 10 percent chance, in the next 50 years, of a repeat of a major earthquake like those that occurred in 1811â€"1812, which likely had magnitudes of between 7.6 and 8.0."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 06:28:04 AM
" New forecasts estimate a 7 to 10 percent chance, in the next 50 years, of a repeat of a major earthquake like those that occurred in 1811â€"1812, which likely had magnitudes of between 7.6 and 8.0."
And is that 7-10 percent more each 50 years after or does it increase by magnitudes of likeliness?  We could be getting into human lifetimes of the event.

Personally, The Yellowstone Supervolcano is higher on my list of possible bad natural events, though.  It's overdue.

Gawdzilla Sama

QuoteNew forecasts estimate a 7 to 10 percent chance, in the next 50 years...
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 07:11:41 AM
I think you missed your entering your actual post...  ;)
I can see it. It's the first part of what I posted previously. Answered your question before you asked it.
PZ Myers

SGOS

So where is the eye right now?  I've been trying to see how far inland it is, but almost all coverage is still focused on the coast, and weather underground quit posting maps of the predicted path yesterday.  Obviously, hurricanes that move inland and lose their force don't have the same media appeal as the coasts where houses a wiped away, and people drown.  Hydra has been the only source of anything inland I've seen this morning.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 07:18:20 AM
I can see it. It's the first part of what I posted previously. Answered your question before you asked it.

I'm not seeing it.  Some screen glitch, I assume.  Could you repeat it?

BTW, to others, Am I the only one not seeing his post? 

SGOS

I read one article that implied this might be a 1000 year flood.  100 year floods are commonly reported, but 1000 year flood is not a term I'm familiar with, and such would be speculative since we don't have records from a thousand years ago.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 07:30:50 AM
So where is the eye right now?  I've been trying to see how far inland it is, but almost all coverage is still focused on the coast, and weather underground quit posting maps of the predicted path yesterday.  Obviously, hurricanes that move inland and lose their force don't have the same media appeal as the coasts where houses a wiped away, and people drown.  Hydra has been the only source of anything inland I've seen this morning.

It appears to be above Georgetown County SC right now.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 07:32:29 AM
I'm not seeing it.  Some screen glitch, I assume.  Could you repeat it?

BTW, to others, Am I the only one not seeing his post? 
New forecasts estimate a 7 to 10 percent chance, in the next 50 years... 

That means that there's a 7-10% chance for each of the next fifty years.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 15, 2018, 07:37:18 AM
I read one article that implied this might be a 1000 year flood.  100 year floods are commonly reported, but 1000 year flood is not a term I'm familiar with, and such would be speculative since we don't have records from a thousand years ago.
Yes, we do. Alluvial deposits with plant matter in them can be dated. If a flood deposit stops well away from the water course it would follow that the event was "epic". I've read of deposits from floods there were space ~700 years apart. Scientists use "1000 year flood" to indicate a truly catastrophic flood.  flood,
PZ Myers