Hurricane Florence prompts evacuation of more than a million people

Started by Hydra009, September 10, 2018, 08:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 11, 2018, 11:07:28 PM
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-74.86,31.67,1994

I know it's not at all relevant, and my hope that everyone in NC and the East Coast stay's safe, but that animation is absolutely trip ass when you look at England and Spain and realise those wind patterns are exactly what explorers and colonists, or slaves from Africa, to the New World had to face to get across here, in boats that were almost exclusively powered by wind...

Talk about an absolute crap shoot.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 11, 2018, 09:57:28 AM
I have a gasoline generator ready. Electric chainsaw batteries are charged to cut fallen limbs. I also have jugs of water because we have a well and when we lose power we lose water. Fortunately our property isn't subject to flooding.

Fill the bathtub with water, and all the containers you have.  Some may not be potable, but unpotable water is useful for other things.  Freeze water if you can.  It can keep food safe in the fridge for days.  Charcoal and a small hibachi grill is good outside after the storm.  Recharge batteries beforehand. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 02:01:17 AM
I see from the latest tracking maps that Hurricane Florence will strike NC around Wilmington.  My thoughts go to them.  But the path seems to stay in NC due to some heavy high pressure system sitting over me right now (also drenching us in rain for a week now).  But 6" is better than 20".

Also, last I saw on the news, even hardened "sitters" are evacuating.  Good.

A graveyard of ships, right there!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 12, 2018, 02:39:39 AM
I know it's not at all relevant, and my hope that everyone in NC and the East Coast stay's safe, but that animation is absolutely trip ass when you look at England and Spain and realise those wind patterns are exactly what explorers and colonists, or slaves from Africa, to the New World had to face to get across here, in boats that were almost exclusively powered by wind...

Yes, Columbus was a master mariner, even if he was an asshole about the rest of it.  There are people today who do solo crossings of the Atlantic by sail boat.  At least Columbus could have eaten the other crewmen, if they got be-calmed.  Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner is ... scary.  It was still dangerous, before satellite.  And ships are still lost because the oceans are much bigger and more powerful than we are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 02:01:17 AM
I see from the latest tracking maps that Hurricane Florence will strike NC around Wilmington.  My thoughts go to them.  But the path seems to stay in NC due to some heavy high pressure system sitting over me right now (also drenching us in rain for a week now).  But 6" is better than 20".
From what I've seen, it's going to hit Wilmington then turn west, hitting SC a lot harder than NC.  Central NC is barely going to get hit at all.  Very fortunate for me.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 12, 2018, 10:32:59 AM
From what I've seen, it's going to hit Wilmington then turn west, hitting SC a lot harder than NC.  Central NC is barely going to get hit at all.  Very fortunate for me.

No offense, but we in MD have had more than enough rain for 2 months.  Better NC than MD. LOL!

But may the rain be lighter there than predicted...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 12, 2018, 02:39:39 AM

The number that didn't make it across is hard to pin down, but it was not small.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 02:58:08 AM
Fill the bathtub with water, and all the containers you have.  Some may not be potable, but unpotable water is useful for other things.  Freeze water if you can.  It can keep food safe in the fridge for days.  Charcoal and a small hibachi grill is good outside after the storm.  Recharge batteries beforehand. 
The water in toilet tanks is usually potable, in an emergency. Give the water from the bowl to the pets. They'll think their in Heaven.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 12, 2018, 11:09:49 AM
The number that didn't make it across is hard to pin down, but it was not small.

Offensive as slavery was and how little the ship captains cared for their safety, they didn't ply the Atlantic during hurricane season.  They were unconcerned about African slaves, but never dumb sailors.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 11:20:22 AM
Offensive as slavery was and how little the ship captains cared for their safety, they didn't ply the Atlantic during hurricane season.  They were unconcerned about African slaves, but never dumb sailors.
Where did I say they did? Good read.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

SGOS

I heard the Naval Base (in Norfolk, Virginia??) has sent the fleet to sea to avoid the storm.  Some civilian sailors may have done the same.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2018, 12:21:51 PM
I heard the Naval Base (in Norfolk, Virginia??) has sent the fleet to sea to avoid the storm.  Some civilian sailors may have done the same.

Good idea.  In 1968, a hurricane went up the Chesapeake Bay and we (and many others) lost our boats.  We were told they bobbed like fishing bobbers on the anchors until the rising waters filled them up.  It was a sad day.

Gawdzilla Sama

SOP. "Don't get caught off a lee shore when the 'canes come callin'."
PZ Myers

Baruch

True that.  Anchors aweigh!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.