UK Six years in prison for Islamophobia

Started by pr126, September 20, 2018, 01:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on September 23, 2018, 01:47:02 AM
The Malicious Communications Act 1988 (MCA) is a British Act of Parliament that makes it illegal in England and Wales to "send or deliver letters or other articles for the purpose of causing distress or anxiety". It also applies to electronic communications.

Canada is also stricter than the US, but not as strict as the UK.  It is about time we surrendered our Freedom and put the Queen on our money ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 23, 2018, 01:53:56 AM
Good.

I would note, I have the impression you are a pacifist.  Very monk-like.  No violence physically or in speech ... just totalitarianism by SJWs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:55:14 AM
If I were to tell you that "Your Sister was an annoying neighbor and bad in bed" and that caused you distress, why would it matter that I told you in person or by email?  And what if it was true?  Would I have to (might I be allowed to) prove that in court?

Put everyone in jail.  Have Judge Judy figure it out.  Utopia at last!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on September 23, 2018, 05:45:35 AM
One would be slander, the other would be libel.   

A court might find enough distress and that a reasonable person would consider your comments offensive.  In which case it wouldn't matter if it were true if you or not, you'd still be sending communications to me deliberately designed to distress me. And that's what would be needed to be proved in court.

And that is why you should do nothing, anytime, except on advice of your attorney.  Great work for all the lawyers out there ;-))  Remember, most politicians, who write the laws, are attorneys by trade.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Nothing like a whole series of Baruch posts I won't bother to read to get the day started well!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 05:52:18 AM
I find it a bit odd that a true statement would have any legal consequences.  How could an accurate statement be illegal?

At least in rabbinic law, saying anything about anyone is potentially a sin.  If you say something negative, and it is true, you are damaging their reputation.  If you say something positive, and it is false, then you are a liar falsely inflating a reputation.  If you say something negative, and it is false, then you a liar.  If you say something positive, and it is true, then you are still inflating a reputation, which has negative consequences also.

So basically damned if you do and damned if you don't.  That and most things most people say aren't factual, but subject to interpretation.  Who is to say if an event happened or not?  A rabbinic court.  Who is to interpret what an even meant?  A rabbinic court.

There has been much interaction between canon court (religious) and civil court (civil).

In rabbinic Judaism, gossip (of any kind) is considered second worse to murder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 07:05:26 AM
Nothing like a whole series of Baruch posts I won't bother to read to get the day started well!

You hurt my feelings.  I think I will have the EU arrest you now ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 05:52:18 AM
I find it a bit odd that a true statement would have any legal consequences.  How could an accurate statement be illegal?

Imagine that I ran over your child.   Now imagine I'm out of court with a fine and I send you a message.   I ran over your child.   

Even though it's true,  can you see how a jury might find that I said it just to cause you anxiety and distress?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato