Serena Williams / Naomi Osaka Controversy.

Started by Munch, September 10, 2018, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 12:28:08 AM
But tennis players (men and women alike) have a long-standing tradition of arguing umpire calls
Or there be lasers along all the lines so there is no umpire decision...  I like that option.
No arguments, no fines.
Good points.  Tennis should be about competition, not tradition. 

Perhaps the tennis association disagrees, and is opposed to technology that would eliminate umpire error.  What would tennis be without stuffy umpires with dictatorial powers?  It's a tradition.  Players who receive bad calls must likewise maintain a tradition of taking shit from pompous asses with less skill, like true ladies and gentlemen. 

You see the game isn't about skill, except for the players.  No one watching gives a shit about tennis.  It's about dressing up in those cute outfits fresh from the cleaners.  It's about being seen in the stands at Wimbledon.    It's about the ritual, and mankind loves useless rituals of long standing tradition, where choreography is more important than wits and physical ability.   Skill and precision are only important to those competing for the prize, or to those with enough experience to value skill over pomp.

I like boxing.  It's simple and straight forward.  Two guys stand toe to toe and beat each other about the head with their fists until one falls down.  Sure there is a referee present, but no one listens to a god damn word he says.  Pure ability reigns supreme.

Baruch

Tennis is just as royal a sport as golf or polo.  So of course it is about being seen there.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

In baseball, a slightest (maybe 2nd) episode of yelling insults gets you ejected.  I think that would do well for tennis.  And BTW, I always thought McEnroe was a jerk and should have been tossed on first yell just on principle.  It might have made him a better player.  Or a worse, and I don't care. 

In tennis, the ref/ump calls the shot and you go on... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Watched a vid from Pewdiepie on this on the first half of Pew news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Zz2OTAl7o

Serena is pulling bullshit. Osaka and the umpire were more than forgiving and Serena pulls SJW bs even getting Osaka to say she's sorry. For what? Serena Williams is a bully.

pr126

QuoteSerena Williams is a bully.
She is entitled to be.
She is black and a woman.
The protected minority, fighting for women's rights.
More power for her.

Get with the program.

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on September 19, 2018, 05:35:58 AM
In baseball, a slightest (maybe 2nd) episode of yelling insults gets you ejected.  I think that would do well for tennis.  And BTW, I always thought McEnroe was a jerk and should have been tossed on first yell just on principle.  It might have made him a better player.  Or a worse, and I don't care. 

In tennis, the ref/ump calls the shot and you go on... 

And if that was how tennis worked, then I would 100% be on the umps side. It's just... that's not how it works 90% of the time, particularly when big names are involved.

Also some slack is due to the ump... that rule that the coach cant coach is simply one of the most moronic rules I have ever heard of in any sport.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on September 20, 2018, 11:31:06 PM
She is entitled to be.
She is black and a woman.
The protected minority, fighting for women's rights.
More power for her.

Get with the program.

Serena Williams is not a bully.  In general, her attitude on the court is average.

As far as I can tell, she does not feel entitled to be bullyish, she has no advantage being black, and the idea that she gains from being a women among WOMEN players is UTTERLY ABSURD of the face of the claim.

She probably is however, the best women's tennis player ever.  I have considered Billy Jean King and Natrina Navratilova, who were great in their day, but Serena is far stronger than either.   She would have wiped Steffi Graf right off the court.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:47:59 AM

She probably is however, the best women's tennis player ever.  I have considered Billy Jean King and Natrina Navratilova, who were great in their day, but Serena is far stronger than either.   She would have wiped Steffi Graf right off the court.

So good that when she loses a round she throws a hissing fit and breaks stadium property
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 23, 2018, 04:40:07 AM
So good that when she loses a round she throws a hissing fit and breaks stadium property

I thought she broke her racket and yelled at the chair judge.  Not like any male tennis players ever did that, of course, unpunished...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 05:58:56 AM
I thought she broke her racket and yelled at the chair judge.  Not like any male tennis players ever did that, of course, unpunished...

Doesn't change the fact it's unprofessional.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 23, 2018, 06:14:10 AM
Doesn't change the fact it's unprofessional.

Yes it was.  But the expectation that women tennis players have to be more polite than male tennis players is unacceptable.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 06:22:14 AM
Yes it was.  But the expectation that women tennis players have to be more polite than male tennis players is unacceptable.

Correct.  Just ban the sport.  Make everyone watch golf ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 07:17:56 AM
Correct.  Just ban the sport.  Make everyone watch golf ;-)

In honor of the Fall Solstice, I will engage with Baruch as much as I can today before I throw up in frustration...

To start, I will say I would never force anyone to watch golf.  It's a decent skill.  But my cat Ayla likes to watch it more than I do.  She likes to bat at the ball in the air on the screen

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 12:13:19 PM
In honor of the Fall Solstice, I will engage with Baruch as much as I can today before I throw up in frustration...

To start, I will say I would never force anyone to watch golf.  It's a decent skill.  But my cat Ayla likes to watch it more than I do.  She likes to bat at the ball in the air on the screen

Yes, your cat overlords have it right.  You should try batting balls of yarn too!

Sorry, if you have an upset stomach, try Alka Seltzer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.