Serena Williams / Naomi Osaka Controversy.

Started by Munch, September 10, 2018, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 11, 2018, 04:25:06 PM
Osaka is also black and a woman. What the fuck are you on about.

*note, i know Osaka is also part Japanese, but she is also part black.

Ms Osaka's non-Black part needs to check its privilege ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2018, 08:08:37 PM
Ms Osaka's non-Black part needs to check its privilege ;-)
That part is Japanese...

Cavebear

From what I saw on this (and it was repeated endlessly on the news for a while), no one wins this argument.  Serena had reasons to complain, the judge had a reason to react, and Naomi Osaka was left with an unfair challenged win. 

I feel sorriest for Naomi Osaka.  Her glorious moment beating Serena Willams (one of the best tennis players ever) was ruined by a controversy. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 04:06:25 AM
From what I saw on this (and it was repeated endlessly on the news for a while), no one wins this argument.  Serena had reasons to complain, the judge had a reason to react, and Naomi Osaka was left with an unfair challenged win. 

I feel sorriest for Naomi Osaka.  Her glorious moment beating Serena Willams (one of the best tennis players ever) was ruined by a controversy.

Great observation.  Don't know myself who did what wrong ... but now the tennis refs want to form a union, and ban the players ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Poor black woman. $ 88 million in the bank and still oppressed.

Only in racist sexist America. Shame on you.
I blame Trump and all who voted for him. Basket of deplorables.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Utube seems to be filled with self appointed bloggers that constantly comment on the behavior of others and have to explain what happens in life so that the rest of us will be aware.  But that in itself is a behavior that seems to escape comment. Without them we would never know who was the real asshole in the controversy.  Thank God.  Otherwise, I would have missed the event entirely.  But not having seen it, I don't have much of an opinion to report. 

I remember that old sports coverage lead in of one of the major TV networks that let us participate in "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat," showing some hapless ski jumper crashing and burning in a spectacular mishap that made the guy famous, although few people ever knew who he was.  I had a young woman tell me once she really liked hockey and went to see the Chicago Blackhawks all the time.  She added that she really liked the fights.  I guess this would be exciting, kind of, and I suppose that's much of what sports can be about.  Somehow, I still think there is more to it.

Baruch

Maybe a theist can get Howard Cosell on the phone (he is dead) and get him to comment on this sports drama!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi69utdvDcA
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 13, 2018, 06:51:52 AM

Says the guy who argues against actual professionals on a subject he admits he doesn't know anything about.

The "facts" are easy to agree with, so long as you only listen to information you like. Soon as the actual facts start hitting though you suddenly don't seem so interested in listening to them and either insist everyone else is wrong or just dissapear. Funny how that works...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on September 14, 2018, 03:33:25 AM
Says the guy who argues against actual professionals on a subject he admits he doesn't know anything about.

The "facts" are easy to agree with, so long as you only listen to information you like. Soon as the actual facts start hitting though you suddenly don't seem so interested in listening to them and either insist everyone else is wrong or just dissapear. Funny how that works...

Oh yes, I guess we have a lot in common then :)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2018, 05:28:21 AM
Oh yes, I guess we have a lot in common then :)

Perhaps, but the difference is I actually have listened to people like you and pr and even agreed and compromised on my position on more than one occasion here. The difference is I don't just find my "facts" from sources I agree with but from a multitude of sources, which is why I have shared links from Fox before because they worded it best and it matched up with other sources said. The difference is when actual experts or professionals talk about something, particularly in agreement, on something I don't know all to much about I don't argue with them and insist they are wrong and that everyone who listens to their opinion is just being biased.

So I wanted to say we were vaguely alike, but in truth that would be a lie for politeness sake. We are not alike, on the bolded line, at all. You have not one shown even the slightest intention of compromise in arguing with anyone who doesn't share your ideology, you have hypocritically accused everyone else of biased or "outrage" behaviour that you practice on a consistent basis, and you consistently, without fail, will only accept information that agrees with your ideology.

I am more than happy to admit I am left-leaning, but your constant charade of "neutrality" while you only will parrot what alt-right (and I think that ideology really has less to do with being "right-wing" and more of just being a douchebag) idiots speak and not accept any opposition to it. You don't get to call yourself neutral when you exclusively take one side in literally every damn argument I have ever seen here.

At the end of the day, anyone who doesn't share your ideology will see right through your bullshit. As for the people who buy into it and agree with you... it's not my job to change your mind for you, but that doesn't mean I won't call it out when I have to.

Baruch

You are both wrong.  Either Cave is right about everything or Hakurei is ... must sell tickets to that match!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

1.  I think Serena Williams got treated unfairly.  Male players get away with worse.  Anyone remember John McEnroe?  Women players shouldn't have to be "nicer".

2.  But tennis players (men and women alike) have a long-standing tradition of arguing umpire calls.  Its a game of inches and very subjective.  Baseball is a lot like that.  The umpire calls balls and strikes subjectively and if you argue much, you get tossed out of the game.

3.  So why not tennis be like that.  You accept the ins and outs and SHADDUP about it.  Or be tossed.

4.  Or there be lasers along all the lines so there is no umpire decision...  I like that option.

5.  No arguments, no fines.

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!