Serena Williams / Naomi Osaka Controversy.

Started by Munch, September 10, 2018, 08:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

This has been flying around. I'm not a tennis fan, or a sports fan in general, however sometimes tennis will be on when round my brothers or a friends house, and I see the favorites. I had respect for Venus Wiiliams, I think she's a great player and holds herself up with a level of class.

Her sister Serena however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMAXEaGGoGk

I've seen several reports about her, she often uses her daughter as a front for everything she does. that might sound good in principle, but it doesn't hide the fact this woman, HAS TO BE the center of attention.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2013/jun/20/serena-williams-rape-whats-appropriate

Its possible to that she has a hate on for men in general, her need to call on the sexism card in her tirade suggests it.

But the thing that really shows her level of ignorance, is how much to ruined the day for the one who beat her. When reading up about Naomi Osaka, she's a really smart and inspiriting woman whos seen Williams like a hero, imagining her dream of playing against her in a match finally, just to have the bitch draw all attention away from her victory, make it about herself, and then try to play it cool after like she didn't cause any harm.

Fuck Serena and her dog fans. This pissed me off so much, and i'm not even a tennis fan. I had to tweet to Naomi that I thought she was an inspiration to so many people. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

I think she's a magnificent athlete with integrity, who really didn't do anything wrong or ignorant. It was a terrible situation and I feel awful for Osaka, who had an astronomically great thing happen to her but was robbed of all the good feelings about it. The awards ceremony was heartbreaking to watch. The worst thing is that Osaka probably would have won anyway. But we will never know.

Put yourself in Williams' shoes. She was playing a VERY intense game, a really important one, and she was called out for cheating through no fault of her own. Are you saying you wouldn't lose it for being wrongly accused, and during that kind of a high-pressure event? She did not precipitate this. It sucks for everyone.

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 10, 2018, 08:12:04 PM
I think she's a magnificent athlete with integrity, who really didn't do anything wrong or ignorant. It was a terrible situation and I feel awful for Osaka, who had an astronomically great thing happen to her but was robbed of all the good feelings about it. The awards ceremony was heartbreaking to watch. The worst thing is that Osaka probably would have won anyway. But we will never know.

Put yourself in Williams' shoes. She was playing a VERY intense game, a really important one, and she was called out for cheating through no fault of her own. Are you saying you wouldn't lose it for being wrongly accused, and during that kind of a high-pressure event? She did not precipitate this. It sucks for everyone.

she wasn't wrong accused, she cheated, end of. She just can't handle losing.

She has not tact or grace either, it wasn't the umpires fault despite rabid Serena fans claiming otherwise, he was following the rules.

And calling the racism card is such bollocks, since in case you didn't notice, both the players in this match where of non-white decent, but only Williams got given the warning because she was cheating or failing to follow the rules.

I've seen other players play intense games, and they don't break down like a screaming banshee because they lose.

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on September 10, 2018, 08:16:57 PM
she wasn't wrong accused, she cheated, end of.

Do you know this for a fact? She is pretty adamant that she did not. How can you be so sure?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Quote from: Mermaid on September 10, 2018, 08:20:43 PM
Do you know this for a fact? She is pretty adamant that she did not. How can you be so sure?

She was accused of cheating, shouted her mouth off at the umpire for it and warned, did it again and warned a third time.

Also her word against the umpire. Just because in her head she wasn't cheating in her desperation to win doesn't make it valid.

Wanna know who else claimed to not be something they were?

Shiranu

Shocking opinion. I am sure my opinion is just as shocking.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Fuck, I was going to stay out of this, but why should I?

1. She wasn't punished for breaking the rules... she was punished for something her coach did, which she wasn't even looking at at the time. So right off the bat this idea that she is "getting what she deserves" is absolute horse ass.

2. If you have never watched tennis than I can understand how you can view her slamming her racket down or yelling at the ref as extreme, but literally everyone and their brother behaves like that in tennis matches... shit, when I started watching tennis players like Agassi who were notorious for just being complete dicks. Legends like John McEnroe... it was just as much their attitude as their skill on the court that drew people to the sport.

There is a common link between all these male tennis players and their attitudes on the court... next to their skill, their fiery behaviour was something they were praised for, something that "brought viewers in". When arguments between the refs and the players happen, the guy is just being fired up or passionate about the game.

Yet when Serena is fiery, she is ignorant, she is classless, she has "dog friends" (just call her a bitch, don't try to sugar coat it). She is "hysterical", she had a "meltdown" and had a "tantrum". She has "lost it" and needs to "calm down".

Yes, there is a double-standard there. Be it because of her race, her sex, both, neither... it doesn't really matter. What matters is at the end of the day a fiery white man is something we as society praise, but a fiery black woman is something that is horrible and she is human garbage.

Again, no surprise to see you fall on the wrong side of the issue, especially considering you apparently think it was Serena who did something wrong rather than her coach (which can we, regardless of side of the issue, all just agree that coaches not being allowed to coach is one of the most moronic rules ever heard of in sports?).

The tennis players who have spoken out on the issue all seem to agree that the way she was treated is weird, that they don't get penalized the same way she did, especially given guys behave the same way all the time with no backlash what-so-ever. As someone who never watches tennis, it seems odd to me that you would know more about it than people who play it for a living.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Serena is black, and a woman.
She is twice the oppressed minority, therefore by logic she cannot be criticized.

Get with the program, you racist, sexist, white supremacist oppressors.
How dare you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koQsrG0-wPI

Mike Cl

The ump involved in this incident is getting off pretty light.  All professional refs, in all sports, are supposed to keep peace, move the game along and to enforce fair play.  Nobody goes to a pro event to watch the refs.  When this ump took a point, and then a full game from Serena, he broke all the rules for what his conduct was supposed to be.  Has a male lost a point for 'coaching' from the stands?  Not by this ump (at least not from the info I've seen so far).  To lose an entire game in a match of this magnitude and importance is is uncalled for and very unsettling for the player.  Has this ump ever done that to a male player?  No.  It seems to me this was selective enforcement of the rules.  Serena and Naomi were both upstaged and unfairly treated by this ump.  If I had a say in it, he would  be suspended and retrained.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

good thing about this kind of event is seeing the apologetics come into play from people wanting their social cognition to be correct, even when everything goes against it, no evidence can be correct unless its in their belief.

Baruch

Not being an expert in tennis, womanhood or being Black ... I will have to defer to others ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Munch on September 11, 2018, 12:48:36 PM
good thing about this kind of event is seeing the apologetics come into play from people wanting their social cognition to be correct, even when everything goes against it, no evidence can be correct unless its in their belief.
This, for me, is a sports thing.  I don't care about the sex of the player.  My first sports love is baseball;softball.  Players complain about refs when they are inconsistent.  If a ref calls balls that are high in the strike zone a strike instead of a ball, that's okay, as long as he is consistent with his calls within that game.  If he isn't, both side become angry and let the ref know about it.  If it happens with a particular ref too often, his contract is not renewed.  Same with every sport--football, basketball and tennis.  The refs have to be consistent.  This guy was/is not, apparently.    Also, in all sports, refs are taught not to upstage the players--ever.  If they do, then most are dealt with.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on September 11, 2018, 12:48:36 PM

Says the guy who admits he knows nothing about tennis but apparently knows more than people who have been professionally playing for years saying this was the refs fault, and ignores that Serena didn't even do anything wrong (her coach did) while mouthing off about how horrible she and her fans are.

Even by your standards that was a dumb argument to make.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: pr126 on September 11, 2018, 02:39:18 AM
Serena is black, and a woman.
She is twice the oppressed minority, therefore by logic she cannot be criticized.

Get with the program, you racist, sexist, white supremacist oppressors.
How dare you.

Osaka is also black and a woman. What the fuck are you on about.

*note, i know Osaka is also part Japanese, but she is also part black.