News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Captain Marvel

Started by Munch, September 20, 2018, 03:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 21, 2018, 08:06:05 AM
She was in it, but her characters name was Yashar... I don't think she was Latina...
Didn't watch it long enough to hear her name.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 21, 2018, 08:10:20 AM
Didn't watch it long enough to hear her name.

Don't blame you. It is a very meh movie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 21, 2018, 08:20:40 AM
Don't blame you. It is a very meh movie.
Teenage audience fodder. Nothing new there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 20, 2018, 11:09:34 PM
From what I can tell, we have no reason to fear that the SJW era of Marvel comics will bleed into the movie. Just look at her design. It's based on her iconic, original appearance, not her more recent redesign. That just goes to show which era of comics the directors have been studying for reference. I actually was more concerned with the Wonder Woman movie, since the character seemed to be a confusingly mixed bag of feminism and male fantasy. From what I've heard, though, the Wonder Woman movie was pretty tame with its feminist undertones, to the point that it apparently irritated SJWs. If DC can do a movie about a female superhero right, then Marvel sure as hell can.

thats a point, they are sticking to the most popular original concept in design. From the movie, I'm getting a weird kind of green lantern vide from it, in how they movie played out, but with a more serious tone. I dunno if it suits the character since the original character seemed to crack a smile at least.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 20, 2018, 11:16:27 PM
Eh, I was really not a big fan of that scene. It'd be like if in Infinity War, Captain Marvel just suddenly dropped out of the sky and blasted Thanos a mile away. I could just imagine Captain America saying, "That's for the assist. Good work. By the way, who the heck are you?"
That's what I liked about the scene.  I also had the "Where did she come from reaction."  "I thought she was with you," got an unusually robust LOL from me, because no one, including me, expected her to show up.  She wasn't a complete unknown to Superman or Batman, but neither knew enough about her personal life or relationships.  So the two guys with all their super duper powers just stood there in a state of befuddled ignorance, while she was doing all the work.  I don't see why that's not funny.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 21, 2018, 09:19:48 AMFrom the movie, I'm getting a weird kind of green lantern vide from it
Probably because it's a squad of supers wearing identical costumes patrolling outer space.

Cavebear

The original Captain Marvel was (I think) a "Sazaam-a-boy-becomes-superhero".  Then in Marvel,  a member of the minority "Pinks"  among the Blue Krees come to Earth to fight them.  I lose track after that.  Is Miss Marvel a "Supergirl" to "Superman" or is she Captain Marvel redifined?  Or entirely separate?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:17:27 AM
The original Captain Marvel was (I think) a "Sazaam-a-boy-becomes-superhero".  Then in Marvel,  a member of the minority "Pinks"  among the Blue Krees come to Earth to fight them.  I lose track after that.  Is Miss Marvel a "Supergirl" to "Superman" or is she Captain Marvel redifined?  Or entirely separate?

Your confusing dcs captain marvel/shazam for marvel comics ms/captain marvel
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 23, 2018, 04:42:18 AM
Your confusing dcs captain marvel/shazam for marvel comics ms/captain marvel

Well, I was going to argue about it, but you are right about the DC/Marvel difference of the characters.  But still, what about Captain and Miss Marvel in the Marvel comics?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!