Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If God doesnt wish, you cant wish

Started by SoldierofFortune, September 08, 2018, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:30:11 PM
Edited post above, to clarify.

And well done too.  I knew, but remembered the wrong guy.  I think we only got about 30 minutes in history about that time.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:54:15 PM
And well done too.  I knew, but remembered the wrong guy.  I think we only got about 30 minutes in history about that time.

That was in the good old days.  Now kids get even less ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:56:12 PM
That was in the good old days.  Now kids get even less ;-(

Yeah.  A news article today says that Virginia students can't waste time learning about (a long list of basic history I can't list because I might get one wrong and you would object).  Conveniently one was the Civil War...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 03:01:33 PM
Yeah.  A news article today says that Virginia students can't waste time learning about (a long list of basic history I can't list because I might get one wrong and you would object).  Conveniently one was the Civil War...

Public school students I suppose.  How will things go if it all goes down the PC memory hole ... there will be no recollection of what the South or North did, or why they fought (which I think is a significant part of who the US is)  Who would benefit from this?  Que bono.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 07:41:00 PM
Public school students I suppose.  How will things go if it all goes down the PC memory hole ... there will be no recollection of what the South or North did, or why they fought (which I think is a significant part of who the US is)  Who would benefit from this?  Que bono.

To learn from history helps us shape the future.
But it is a reality that what we learn in school has no practical value. It simply does not work in real situations, in real life. So students are right when asking "where to make use of all these knowledge?"...

SoldierofFortune

If god does not wish, human does not die
If god does not wish, leaf does not fall.

God has a time schedule , a programme...
An event never exists even a minute late or even a minute early...

Baruch

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on October 09, 2018, 06:36:00 PM
But it is a reality that what we learn in school has no practical value. It simply does not work in real situations, in real life. So students are right when asking "where to make use of all these knowledge?"...

Originally, 100 years ago, there was an attempt to separate practical education from academic education.  But in the US, in my lifetime, there was a push back toward academic education.  That every American should hope to go to college, to become a lawyer or doctor.

Common sense, is all the prejudice we learn before we are 20.  And we spend the rest of our lives un-learning it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 07:41:00 PM

Charter school students get even less actual history.  Some of them get "the Earth is on'y 6,000 years old.  Better ones teach that humans are older than that but didn't "descend from Chimps" (and I agree but for different reasons).

The failing of public schools (from lack of funding and religious politics) may be the end of our knowledgeable society.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 10, 2018, 01:39:49 AM
Charter school students get even less actual history.  Some of them get "the Earth is on'y 6,000 years old.  Better ones teach that humans are older than that but didn't "descend from Chimps" (and I agree but for different reasons).

The failing of public schools (from lack of funding and religious politics) may be the end of our knowledgeable society.

Per Jefferson, the end of democracy ... but then that failure is a feature, not a bug.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on October 09, 2018, 06:42:07 PM
If god does not wish, human does not die
If god does not wish, leaf does not fall.

God has a time schedule , a programme...
An event never exists even a minute late or even a minute early...
Then I wish god would grant you a brain. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 10, 2018, 09:08:12 AM
Then I wish god would grant you a brain.

No God can,  Check the Wiz though.

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on October 09, 2018, 06:36:00 PM
This is actually a good point.

QuoteBut it is a reality that what we learn in school has no practical value. It simply does not work in real situations, in real life. So students are right when asking "where to make use of all these knowledge?"...
Okay, I'll bite.  Which subject does not work in real life?  English?  Math?  Chemistry?  History?  Foreign Language?

Even stuff that seemingly has no practical use (music appreciation or art appreciation) can serve as an important stepping stone for something big down the line.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 10, 2018, 12:16:16 PM
This is actually a good point.
Okay, I'll bite.  Which subject does not work in real life?  English?  Math?  Chemistry?  History?  Foreign Language?

Even stuff that seemingly has no practical use (music appreciation or art appreciation) can serve as an important stepping stone for something big down the line.

All knowledge is human-discovered.  Not objecting to your post, just saying...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 10, 2018, 01:32:33 PM

All knowledge is human-discovered.  Not objecting to your post, just saying...

Which is why it is ... monkey business ;-)  All news is fake-news, all facts are ... truthiness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 10, 2018, 08:29:05 PM
Which is why it is ... monkey business ;-)  All news is fake-news, all facts are ... truthiness.

You failed your Trump Test.  You allowed that Facts COULD BE "truthy".  Trump will get you for that.