News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

If God doesnt wish, you cant wish

Started by SoldierofFortune, September 08, 2018, 07:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 13, 2018, 01:44:21 PM
If you liked On the Beach you might enjoy The Last Ship, if you haven't already read it.
I tried reading The Last Ship a year ago.  Read the jacket and just knew it would love it!  Something about the writing style drove me nuts and I did not even finish it.  That is a rare thing for me.  Watched a few of the episodes of the TV show, and the same thing happened.  They became too outlandish and I haven't watched one for quite awhile.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I didn't even know there was a TV show until this morning.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I don't know Mike, I just watched the trailer for the first season of The Last Ship, and it doesn't look like the book I remember.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 13, 2018, 05:47:17 PM
I don't know Mike, I just watched the trailer for the first season of The Last Ship, and it doesn't look like the book I remember.

Usually the book is much smaller than the ship ;-)  And is just walls of text, no video.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 13, 2018, 05:47:17 PM
I think you are correct.  it did not follow the book in most respects.  I did not care for the TV show, either.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 12, 2018, 08:14:14 PM
I never thought of sci-fi as a prediction of the future.  At first, I thought of them as simply adventures--Tom Swift and all that.  Edgar Rice Burroughs brought fantasy into my life--especially John Carter on Mars and Pellucidar.  And Robert A Heinlein brought social commentary.  My fav. sci-fi and fantasy writers were those who worked social commentary into their stories.

I more often think of modern sci-fi as thoughtful social speculation.  What I like to read is more thought about how existing society might change in the future than Buck Rogers nonsense.  That's just adventurism.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 01:01:48 AM
I more often think of modern sci-fi as thoughtful social speculation.  What I like to read is more thought about how existing society might change in the future than Buck Rogers nonsense.  That's just adventurism.

No doubt, you prefer Ming the Merciless ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

luckswallowsall

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on September 08, 2018, 07:42:41 PM
I am on the way of being deist.
I think Richard dawkins is deist, too...At the most positive point of view, he is agnostik atheist.

He is an agnostic atheist, yes. So he can't be a deist.

Cavebear

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 27, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
OK, so you prefer Princess Aura?
I do not accept the reality of ny in that book.  Nor any other fiction.  Enjoying reading them does not imply belief.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 27, 2018, 12:49:30 PM
I do not accept the reality of ny in that book.  Nor any other fiction.  Enjoying reading them does not imply belief.

Didn't say you did.  And it is clear you aren't 5 years old.  However entertainment is often ... what if?  What entertains people isn't necessarily rational or ethical.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 27, 2018, 12:55:13 PM
Didn't say you did.  And it is clear you aren't 5 years old.  However entertainment is often ... what if?  What entertains people isn't necessarily rational or ethical.

That's why I can read Tolkien.  The willing suspension of disbelief.  And BTW, I just ordered the new trilogy in hardback.  Christopher says "thats the end".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 27, 2018, 12:58:58 PM
That's why I can read Tolkien.  The willing suspension of disbelief.  And BTW, I just ordered the new trilogy in hardback.  Christopher says "thats the end".

Is that how you read political platforms?  Seems that is how most people read them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 27, 2018, 01:12:18 PM
Is that how you read political platforms?  Seems that is how most people read them.

I never pay any attention to politic platforms.  And I pay no attention to candidate speeches either.  I pay attention to what parties and candidates have done in the past.