News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

McCain

Started by Mr.Obvious, August 26, 2018, 02:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 08, 2018, 01:01:20 AM
Evidently, some brainiacs inside the beltway thought red staters would go gaga over some vapid, basically blank-resumed buffoon who says a lot of stupid crap on social media.  (And hooboy is it stupid!)  Their only mistake (besides making the world worse) is that they jumped the gun by a few years.
I was wintering in Petersburg, Alaska, when Palin was governor.  I sure didn't follow Alaska's politics closely, but I did formulate a few perspectives, how accurate I can't say.  From what little that I gathered, Palin seemed to be more or less respected by most.  However, hanging over her reception by Alaskans was the fact that she replaced a governor who, if I remember correctly, was so bad he was actually in jail.  The testimonials were along the lines of, "Palin?  Oooh, she's OK.  She's better than the last guy."  That was a weak testimonial.  I did have a close friend from Montana that had moved to Alaska, and had been in Anchorage several years before I was there.  After Palin was chosen as a running mate, my friend said, "She is a good pick, because Palin had done wonderful things for Alaska."  No examples were given, however.

But under the intense limelight of national media which thrust Palin into the public consciousness and which Palin thrived on, her crazy behavior came bursting out in full glory horrifying the nation.  When I was in Alaska I didn't think Alaskans were actually aware of her being a nutcase, but I think at the time she was newly elected.  I don't know what the Alaska perspective was two years later.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 10:06:12 AM
I was wintering in Petersburg, Alaska, when Palin was governor.  I sure didn't follow Alaska's politics closely, but I did formulate a few perspectives, how accurate I can't say.  From what little that I gathered, Palin seemed to be more or less respected by most.  However, hanging over her reception by Alaskans was the fact that she replaced a governor who, if I remember correctly, was so bad he was actually in jail.  The testimonials were along the lines of, "Palin?  Oooh, she's OK.  She's better than the last guy."  That was a weak testimonial.  I did have a close friend from Montana that had moved to Alaska, and had been in Anchorage several years before I was there.  After Palin was chosen as a running mate, my friend said, "She is a good pick, because Palin had done wonderful things for Alaska."  No examples were given, however.

But under the intense limelight of national media which thrust Palin into the public consciousness and which Palin thrived on, her crazy behavior came bursting out in full glory horrifying the nation.  When I was in Alaska I didn't think Alaskans were actually aware of her being a nutcase, but I think at the time she was newly elected.  I don't know what the Alaska perspective was two years later.

"Better than the previous nutcase" isn't exactly a rousing endorsement.  But Harry Truman was also not exactly a favored choice as VP and he turned out to be a decent Pres.  Same with Ford from less experience.

I guess the best I could say about Palin is that she sure wouldn't be Trump.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 10:06:12 AMAfter Palin was chosen as a running mate, my friend said, "She is a good pick, because Palin had done wonderful things for Alaska."  No examples were given, however.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 11:32:02 AM
"Better than the previous nutcase" isn't exactly a rousing endorsement.  But Harry Truman was also not exactly a favored choice as VP and he turned out to be a decent Pres.  Same with Ford from less experience.

I guess the best I could say about Palin is that she sure wouldn't be Trump.

No, Palin was never a TV star ;-)

The choice of Truman over Wallace was a coup on FDR in the 1944 convention.  He worked out well in spite of his political connections.  I suspect Truman had something to do with the death of FDR (who had already survived an assassination attempt and a planned coup) and Ford had something to do with the death of JFK (as did LBJ, Nixon and George HW).  Ford was a calming influence in a difficult time.  But he should have thrown Nixon under the bus, not pardoned him.  I wish every President to prosecute his predecessor for the crimes they commit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 08, 2018, 11:38:37 AM

"No examples" in support of an argument is a lot like food at the grocery store with no price labels.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 11:51:02 AM
"No examples" in support of an argument is a lot like food at the grocery store with no price labels.

In the future, you will only have a SNAP card, and consumption of rotten Chinese produced food will be unavoidable.  Soylent Chinese.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 11:51:02 AM
More like canned goods with no label at all, so you have to guess what's in them, and whether or not they're even edible.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 01:32:53 PM
More like canned goods with no label at all, so you have to guess what's in them, and whether or not they're even edible.

That is what capitalism would get you.  And now the Chinese are State Capitalists instead of State Communists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Just as long as they keep the beans separate from the Drano.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 06:51:10 PM
Just as long as they keep the beans separate from the Drano.

Prior incidents with dried milk and pet food, says the Chinese aren't too careful.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Sara Palin does have an interesting political career path.  Seven years of political experience progressing up the political ladder like a rocket before exploding.  At least that seems like a quick ride to the top to me, but that does not include a hiatus of 4 years between mayor and governor.  As I recall, at some point in her 3 years as governor, she was criticized for doing her job from her home in Wasilla, 600 miles from the capitol.  Supposedly, the rumor was that she ran the state from her kitchen.  Apparently, she did not want to live in Juneau.  Alaska is not heavily populated so maybe there wasn't that much to do as governor, but I doubt it.

Mayor of small town Wasilla, Alaska   1996 to 2002   
Governor of Alaska                           2006 to 2009
VP nominee                                     2008 to 2008
Reality TV personality                       2009 to   ?

Cavebear

OK.  But I don't even look at unlabeled cans.  That's like a politician on the ballot that I've never even heard of.  I limit my choices to ones I at least know something about.