News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Great Courses on Bronze Age Greece ...

Started by Baruch, September 06, 2018, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

A rather stentorian lecturer, but classic example of public speaking ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IyHeo_6t4
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

More on daily life in Classical Greece ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF09PRMQ7Dk

Notice the bride biting the apple to insure fertility for her first time with her husband.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 06, 2018, 12:07:13 AM
A rather stentorian lecturer, but classic example of public speaking ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0IyHeo_6t4

Are those "Great Courses" actually worth anything to anyone who knows grapeshit about the subjects?  I've often wondered.  I'm always looking for decent mealtime entertainment.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 12:27:24 PM
Are those "Great Courses" actually worth anything to anyone who knows grapeshit about the subjects?  I've often wondered.  I'm always looking for decent mealtime entertainment.

You and I aren't the target audience.  Anyone educated recently in a public school ... is the target audience.

But you have to pay, and at my age I only do freebies on-line.  If I want to pay, I buy the book.

That particular lecturer had interesting technique.  And all the lesson plans would be definitely "establishment".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 01:54:31 PM
You and I aren't the target audience.  Anyone educated recently in a public school ... is the target audience.

But you have to pay, and at my age I only do freebies on-line.  If I want to pay, I buy the book.

That particular lecturer had interesting technique.  And all the lesson plans would be definitely "establishment".

Thanks, I will steer clear of them.  I DO like science and history DVDs though (great during dinner), so I look for them.  I have too many I know by memory and want a few more.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 03:41:04 PM
Thanks, I will steer clear of them.  I DO like science and history DVDs though (great during dinner), so I look for them.  I have too many I know by memory and want a few more.

More dead White men to despise ... you scoffers, libertines, sophists and other sociopaths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkLTWQUbG8

! of 3 parts.  Goes well with the Bethany Hughes material.  English people are actually educated, unlike Americans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:22:53 PM
More dead White men to despise ... you scoffers, libertines, sophists and other sociopaths:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAkLTWQUbG8

! of 3 parts.  Goes well with the Bethany Hughes material.  English people are actually educated, unlike Americans.

Just heard on TV that the French think we are BOTH uncultured.  We don't make our own croutons.  Dang, the French must have a LOT of stale bread...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:32:04 PM
Just heard on TV that the French think we are BOTH uncultured.  We don't make our own croutons.  Dang, the French must have a LOT of stale bread...

You know that the French housewife buys a fresh baguette every day.  Anything left from yesterday is one day stale.  We are uncultured compared to the French.  And we have not etiquette ... their biggest complaint.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:33:44 PM
You know that the French housewife buys a fresh baguette every day.  Anything left from yesterday is one day stale.  We are uncultured compared to the French.  And we have not etiquette ... their biggest complaint.

At least I bake my own bread.  And one other thing the French don't have on us:  rude waiters.  I think NYC has caught up.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:40:02 PM
At least I bake my own bread.  And one other thing the French don't have on us:  rude waiters.  I think NYC has caught up.

Waiters in France are professionals, not chattel slaves like in the US.  When you treat them as chattel slaves, they don't like it.  Part of general American rudeness.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:41:45 PM
Waiters in France are professionals, not chattel slaves like in the US.  When you treat them as chattel slaves, they don't like it.  Part of general American rudeness.

I was a waiter at a Country Club for 2 Summers, and very polite (in spite of the fact that tips were discouraged my management).  I probably didn't quite meet french waiter standards (as I said, I was polite).  But I knew the wine list, the meals and the host at each table.  At minimum wage.  Cest La Vie...