News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

More on how Russia worked with the US ...

Started by Baruch, August 03, 2018, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_NWzzIPRM

A more complete analysis than I have seen before, regarding how the Russian fleet helped keep Queen Victoria from siding with the Confederacy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 03, 2018, 07:56:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs_NWzzIPRM

A more complete analysis than I have seen before, regarding how the Russian fleet helped keep Queen Victoria from siding with the Confederacy.

The US needed a lot of "ignoring the Southern rebels" in the Civil War.  Many people think that the Enamancipation Proclamation accomplished that, but I think the large Northern armies and the small Monitors (upscalable) had more to do with it.  And in fact, the Federal forces had so many excess soldiers near the end of the war, Lincoln had to keep them trained by massacring Native American Indians. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Correct ... the river Monitors were crucial.  And the Union was working on a submarine in NYC harbor, but the self destruction of the Hunley made it unnecessary.  The Hunley being the Confederate submarine in Charlestown harbor, that did take out a Union blockade ship, but never made it back to its berth.  I am thinking the torpedo detonation at the end of the spar was too close for comfort (they didn't have free running torpedoes yet).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 01:58:33 PM
Correct ... the river Monitors were crucial.  And the Union was working on a submarine in NYC harbor, but the self destruction of the Hunley made it unnecessary.  The Hunley being the Confederate submarine in Charlestown harbor, that did take out a Union blockade ship, but never made it back to its berth.  I am thinking the torpedo detonation at the end of the spar was too close for comfort (they didn't have free running torpedoes yet).

I've often thought that the turtles needed better glue.  Like in the "but wait there's more" kind of ads.  "Stick it and leave" would have worked.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 03:50:24 PM
I've often thought that the turtles needed better glue.  Like in the "but wait there's more" kind of ads.  "Stick it and leave" would have worked.

Limpet mines weren't invented until WW II, and had to be delivered by divers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 24, 2018, 12:28:20 AM
Limpet mines weren't invented until WW II, and had to be delivered by divers.

Limpet mines are magnetic.  The original "torpedoes" were stuck on or screwed in wooden ships, in earlier days, and didn't work very well.  The terrible "turtles" couldn't maneuver away very easily. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 06:19:54 AM
Limpet mines are magnetic.  The original "torpedoes" were stuck on or screwed in wooden ships, in earlier days, and didn't work very well.  The terrible "turtles" couldn't maneuver away very easily.

Wooden ships had wooden bottoms (defeated the Revolutionary War sub .. Nautilus).  Or they had copper sheeting, to keep out the worms.  Magnetic mines wouldn't have worked until later 19th century, when iron hulls came into use.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 04, 2018, 06:51:26 AM
Wooden ships had wooden bottoms (defeated the Revolutionary War sub .. Nautilus).  Or they had copper sheeting, to keep out the worms.  Magnetic mines wouldn't have worked until later 19th century, when iron hulls came into use.

Hint...  My point exactly.  Caught on did you?  The original turtle torpedoes were mines stuck to wooden ship bottoms from long poles.  And no, they didn't work.  But it was a start.