Backup Cameras are Now Required in all New Cars

Started by SGOS, September 01, 2018, 08:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2018, 03:28:05 PM
Well, if you're comfortable with the error of small samples...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Chevy has been consistently dropping in reliability ratings for several years now. Props to Ford though, it looks like they are finally moving back up in the rankings. That said, look at the bottom ranked cars... American, American, American, America, Swedish (what are you doing, Volvo...), American, American... you get the idea.

I LOVE Italian cars; if I was the type of person who had money to blow, I would love to own an Alfa Romeo and a Ferrari. But my love for these cars does not make me believe they are reliable or "good" cars. Italian cars are notorious for being poorly made in terms of reliability, and I have to accept that.

That stereotype of Italian cars is unfortunately true for American cars nowadays as well... they may have all the bells and whistles, but they are riddled with poor design choices and low reliability. It sucks, but I am not going to tell someone they are wrong for implying that Italian cars are not quality cars, no more than anyone should get mad at saying American cars are not quality cars. A bad experience may just be a bad experience... but a bad experience can also be accurate of a systemic problem, and in this case it is. Americans have forgotten how to make good cars, or rather the CEO's of these companies don't care about making good cars but rather profitable cars.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2018, 03:28:05 PM
Well, if you're comfortable with the error of small samples...

Yes, I could have a large sample, if I was a Fortune 500 CEO buying fleet cars for the company ... is that how you get a larger sample?  In that case, I would lease them all, wouldn't have to own them.

This is what I wanted as a kid ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Spider

That's a spicy meatball!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

I'm going to OK City tomorrow for work. Got to haul some equipment we built to Tinker for acceptance testing. Picked up a 2018 Ford Expedition rental yesterday for the trip. It's perfectly parked at the end of street about 100 yards from our driveway. I backed it all the way down there. The backup camera made it a no brainer. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on September 03, 2018, 10:03:02 PM
I'm going to OK City tomorrow for work. Got to haul some equipment we built to Tinker for acceptance testing. Picked up a 2018 Ford Expedition rental yesterday for the trip. It's perfectly parked at the end of street about 100 yards from our driveway. I backed it all the way down there. The backup camera made it a no brainer.

Hurricane bringing lots of rain into the Gulf ... all the way to Kansas, 5 days worth of rain.  So be safe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PopeyesPappy

Thanks. I've been tracking that storm. No doubt we are going to catch some of of it.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on September 03, 2018, 05:19:18 PM

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability-owner-satisfaction/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Chevy has been consistently dropping in reliability ratings for several years now. Props to Ford though, it looks like they are finally moving back up in the rankings. That said, look at the bottom ranked cars... American, American, American, America, Swedish (what are you doing, Volvo...), American, American... you get the idea.

I LOVE Italian cars; if I was the type of person who had money to blow, I would love to own an Alfa Romeo and a Ferrari. But my love for these cars does not make me believe they are reliable or "good" cars. Italian cars are notorious for being poorly made in terms of reliability, and I have to accept that.

That stereotype of Italian cars is unfortunately true for American cars nowadays as well... they may have all the bells and whistles, but they are riddled with poor design choices and low reliability. It sucks, but I am not going to tell someone they are wrong for implying that Italian cars are not quality cars, no more than anyone should get mad at saying American cars are not quality cars. A bad experience may just be a bad experience... but a bad experience can also be accurate of a systemic problem, and in this case it is. Americans have forgotten how to make good cars, or rather the CEO's of these companies don't care about making good cars but rather profitable cars.
JD Powers doesn't seem to have a problem with the Chevys. But I suspect Baruch's car was built outside the window you gave us.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Seems to me this is more of a technical and practical problem than a problem in principle/law. I mean, if the costs are low, it's just money out of the wallet that evidentially will make it both easier and safer to back up a car. I'm all for it.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 04, 2018, 08:04:59 AM
JD Powers doesn't seem to have a problem with the Chevys. But I suspect Baruch's car was built outside the window you gave us.

1982 wasn't a good year for Chevy ;-(  My Citation had a known defect that the dealer didn't bother fixing, before they sold it to me.

http://blog.safeauto.com/the-6-biggest-lemons-of-all-time/
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2018, 01:10:42 PM
1982 wasn't a good year for Chevy ;-(  My Citation had a known defect that the dealer didn't bother fixing, before they sold it to me.

http://blog.safeauto.com/the-6-biggest-lemons-of-all-time/
I had a Citation briefly that I bought from a relative.  It was a horrible car even with only 12,000 miles on it.  A mechanic friend referred to the Citation as a "disposable."  Other Chevy cars should not be judged by the Citation.  It was a corporate boondoggle, and an anomaly.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2018, 03:54:39 PM
I had a Citation briefly that I bought from a relative.  It was a horrible car even with only 12,000 miles on it.  A mechanic friend referred to the Citation as a "disposable."  Other Chevy cars should not be judged by the Citation.  It was a corporate boondoggle, and an anomaly.

Fair enough ... not every Ford is an Edsel.  But why should anyone here not hate the auto industry ... because corporate cronyism, because environment.  Have you no trees to hug? (sarc).

Yes ... don't judge the Republicans by Trump ... just an anomaly (haha).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 01, 2018, 08:52:19 AM
Good damned nanny state!

I used to work for  a "major US insurance company". One of the accidents I handled involved a Dodge Ram 1500 backing over six kids. One fatality, one kid permanently wheelchair-bound.  The dead kid belonged to the driver. We couldn't pay anything for that child, the policy protects you from third party claims.

Proof that car insurance isn't worth having except that it legally required.  And, I suppose, only kill your own kid.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!