Meanwhile, back in Deplorable-land...

Started by trdsf, August 26, 2018, 04:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I wonder how many voters actually look at the voting record of a candidate before jumping on their bandwagon?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 12:50:19 PM
OK.  But why are so many people so gullible?  It drives me crazy sometimes seeing people support ideas that are not only bad for themselves (because sometimes the "greater good" applies) but bad for the nation and even the world as a whole. 

Do people not know how to even THINK anymore?

I don't give a rat's ass about "alpha" people.  They are usually not planning to do ME or anyone else any good anyway.  They are almost by definition "in it for themselves".  Why would anyone follow a leader like that?

ARGGGHHH!
I really don't know.  The GOP has conned a whole lot of people into voting against their own self-interests, largely by appealing to their biases and bigotries and blind spots.  It seems to me the only cure for that is education... and of course public education is something else the GOP is trying to destroy by routing money to private/charter schools.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 01:57:17 PM
I wonder how many voters actually look at the voting record of a candidate before jumping on their bandwagon?

I research online all the candidates before going to the polls however it isn't as easy as one might think to get good information. Some local candidates run without publishing a campaign website. If you can't even bother to create a Facebook page you don't get my vote.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 01:57:17 PM

Few.  And its not just the voting record.  It's what they supported in the past.

Let's say some candidate has been a racist all his/her life.  But now, running for office, says "all lives matter".  Sounds great until you look at the past. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 27, 2018, 02:04:15 PM
The GOP has conned a whole lot of people into voting against their own self-interests, largely by appealing to their biases and bigotries and blind spots.

Also, fear-mongering works really well on people with an overactive amygdala.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 01:37:06 PM
Maybe the problem is that too many voters are willing to support a newbie, when what we need is experience.  What company chooses a CEO straight off the street over someone with a resume that can be evaluated?  We do, apparently.  Hope springs eternal and Hope is dumb as a gambler drawing to an inside straight.

I never pay much attention to what a politician says on the campaign trail; I look at what they have done in the past.  The past informs the future.

This is why monarchies and dictatorships are better.  Serious and experienced usually.  And what Socrates approved of.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 01:37:06 PM
Maybe the problem is that too many voters are willing to support a newbie, when what we need is experience.  What company chooses a CEO straight off the street over someone with a resume that can be evaluated?  We do, apparently.  Hope springs eternal and Hope is dumb as a gambler drawing to an inside straight.

I never pay much attention to what a politician says on the campaign trail; I look at what they have done in the past.  The past informs the future.

My observation since 1963 is that the record proves they are all demonic.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 02:09:57 PM
Also, fear-mongering works really well on people with an overactive amygdala.

Its lead in the water pipes...  Or too much Chocolate-Frosted Sugar-Bomb cereal TV-fed into children.  When I was young, we got Raisin Bran, sometimes with peach slices.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!