Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Universe Size Comparison 2018

Started by pr126, August 26, 2018, 11:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Unbeliever

We may be motes of dust in a vast near-empty cosmos, but our imaginations can encompass even more than the physical universe - we can envision abstractions, and create things that could never come to be without us - like pizza!

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 26, 2018, 05:40:29 PM
We may be motes of dust in a vast near-empty cosmos, but our imaginations can encompass even more than the physical universe - we can envision abstractions, and create things that could never come to be without us - like pizza!

QED ... demi-gods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 26, 2018, 05:40:29 PM

In 'The Big Front Yard' by Clifford Simak, some interspatial trade occurred, but it was in "concepts".  I haven't read it in decades, but I recall Humans showing the idea of "paint" to some aliens.  Pizza would have been a good one too. 

But beyond that, what I wonder is what WE have never thought of.  And I don't mean time travel or a cure for cancer.  I mean little things like paint.  We can't imagine the things we can't imagine (but some other intelligent species did).  What if some alien species arrived and said, "well you mean you don't have 'blrlgen', its such an obvious thing"?  And we would go all "wow, cool, neat".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 12:38:21 AM
In 'The Big Front Yard' by Clifford Simak, some interspatial trade occurred, but it was in "concepts".  I haven't read it in decades, but I recall Humans showing the idea of "paint" to some aliens.  Pizza would have been a good one too. 

But beyond that, what I wonder is what WE have never thought of.  And I don't mean time travel or a cure for cancer.  I mean little things like paint.  We can't imagine the things we can't imagine (but some other intelligent species did).  What if some alien species arrived and said, "well you mean you don't have 'blrlgen', its such an obvious thing"?  And we would go all "wow, cool, neat".

Byryx: "Hey glorfnard, look, they use paper!"
Glorfnard: "You can do a lot better with five seashells."

Edit: I messed up my reference. :(
Should have been three.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 27, 2018, 12:59:45 AM
Byryx: "Hey glorfnard, look, they use paper!"

Then we should look at how they use five seashells.  We might learn something.  And possibly show Byryx and Glorfnard about birdfeeders and decorative mobiles!

pr126

You have to be near the seashore  for the seashells.
But toilet tissue is less pain in the arse. I think.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 27, 2018, 02:10:44 AM
You have to be near the seashore  for the seashells.
But toilet tissue is less pain in the arse. I think.

Toilet paper might be a good suggestion to aliens who use their large flat disposable fingers behind their ears where the waste emerges.  One never knows.

Assuming body parts of aliens are always where ours are is the height of human presumption,  LOL!

pr126

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 02:23:12 AM
Toilet paper might be a good suggestion to aliens who use their large flat disposable fingers behind their ears where the waste emerges.  One never knows.

Assuming body parts of aliens are always where ours are is the height of human presumption,  LOL!

Flat disposable fingers? Come now.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 27, 2018, 04:00:01 AM
Flat disposable fingers? Come now.

Yeah, I probably lack imagination.  More likely, an alien species would be too difficult to describe.  It might be more accurate to say that their fortrabs ingle as they bloog in their instant of arb, therefore increasing the foods they eat within themselves on the yst orbit.

pr126

That’s gross. SMH.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 27, 2018, 04:40:37 AM
That’s gross. SMH.

Shake your head all you want, but how do you know it isn't purrfectly normal for the aliens?  And "gross"?  Maybe it takes a dozen dozen of them to reproduce?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 12:38:21 AM

Yeah, I've often wondered what we may have missed by finding "an" answer, when we stop looking for "the" answer. Who know what we've missed due to simple lack of vision or imagination? That's one reason I like to smoke weed, I may just come up with something no one's ever thought of. Not likely, but hey...
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 27, 2018, 12:59:45 AM
That's why Sheila sells sea shells down by the seashore...
God Not Found