Author Topic: Universe Size Comparison 2018  (Read 697 times)

Offline pr126

Universe Size Comparison 2018
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their free will."
 - Joseph Goebbels

Cognitive-dissonance is fighting for women's rights and LBGT rights while defending Islam and Muslims against "Islamophobia".

Offline PopeyesPappy

Re: Universe Size Comparison 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
We may be motes of dust in a vast near-empty cosmos, but our imaginations can encompass even more than the physical universe - we can envision abstractions, and create things that could never come to be without us - like pizza!

"In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate."
Isaac Asimov

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:28:30 PM »
We may be motes of dust in a vast near-empty cosmos, but our imaginations can encompass even more than the physical universe - we can envision abstractions, and create things that could never come to be without us - like pizza!

QED ... demi-gods.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »

In 'The Big Front Yard' by Clifford Simak, some interspatial trade occurred, but it was in "concepts".  I haven't read it in decades, but I recall Humans showing the idea of "paint" to some aliens.  Pizza would have been a good one too. 

But beyond that, what I wonder is what WE have never thought of.  And I don't mean time travel or a cure for cancer.  I mean little things like paint.  We can't imagine the things we can't imagine (but some other intelligent species did).  What if some alien species arrived and said, "well you mean you don't have 'blrlgen', its such an obvious thing"?  And we would go all "wow, cool, neat".
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 12:59:45 AM »
In 'The Big Front Yard' by Clifford Simak, some interspatial trade occurred, but it was in "concepts".  I haven't read it in decades, but I recall Humans showing the idea of "paint" to some aliens.  Pizza would have been a good one too. 

But beyond that, what I wonder is what WE have never thought of.  And I don't mean time travel or a cure for cancer.  I mean little things like paint.  We can't imagine the things we can't imagine (but some other intelligent species did).  What if some alien species arrived and said, "well you mean you don't have 'blrlgen', its such an obvious thing"?  And we would go all "wow, cool, neat".

Byryx: "Hey glorfnard, look, they use paper!"
Glorfnard: "You can do a lot better with five seashells."

Edit: I messed up my reference. :(
Should have been three.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:01:04 AM by Mr.Obvious »
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, requesting 69 last night.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »
Byryx: "Hey glorfnard, look, they use paper!"

Then we should look at how they use five seashells.  We might learn something.  And possibly show Byryx and Glorfnard about birdfeeders and decorative mobiles!

Offline pr126

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 02:10:44 AM »
You have to be near the seashore  for the seashells.
But toilet tissue is less pain in the arse. I think.
"Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated are confident they are acting on their free will."
 - Joseph Goebbels

Cognitive-dissonance is fighting for women's rights and LBGT rights while defending Islam and Muslims against "Islamophobia".

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 02:23:12 AM »
You have to be near the seashore  for the seashells.
But toilet tissue is less pain in the arse. I think.

Toilet paper might be a good suggestion to aliens who use their large flat disposable fingers behind their ears where the waste emerges.  One never knows.

Assuming body parts of aliens are always where ours are is the height of human presumption,  LOL!

Offline pr126

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 04:00:01 AM »
Toilet paper might be a good suggestion to aliens who use their large flat disposable fingers behind their ears where the waste emerges.  One never knows.

Assuming body parts of aliens are always where ours are is the height of human presumption,  LOL!

Flat disposable fingers? Come now.
 - Joseph Goebbels

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 04:37:29 AM »
Flat disposable fingers? Come now.

Yeah, I probably lack imagination.  More likely, an alien species would be too difficult to describe.  It might be more accurate to say that their fortrabs ingle as they bloog in their instant of arb, therefore increasing the foods they eat within themselves on the yst orbit.

Offline pr126

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2018, 04:40:37 AM »
That’s gross. SMH.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 04:42:11 AM by pr126 »
 - Joseph Goebbels

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »
That’s gross. SMH.

Shake your head all you want, but how do you know it isn't purrfectly normal for the aliens?  And "gross"?  Maybe it takes a dozen dozen of them to reproduce?

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 03:05:16 PM »

Yeah, I've often wondered what we may have missed by finding "an" answer, when we stop looking for "the" answer. Who know what we've missed due to simple lack of vision or imagination? That's one reason I like to smoke weed, I may just come up with something no one's ever thought of. Not likely, but hey...
Isaac Asimov

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 03:07:17 PM »
That's why Sheila sells sea shells down by the seashore...
Isaac Asimov

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk