News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

McCain

Started by Mr.Obvious, August 26, 2018, 02:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 09:46:33 AM
Yes, 'Contact' had more levels of meaning than most people saw.  Sagan seldom allowed superstition to intrude on reality.    Even considering it was a sci-fi.

He was a typical Sophist from 5th century Athens.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"If you have to get on FB to call out your liberal friends for expressing sympathy for a family in mourning, regardless of the political affiliation of the deceased - even when that man (the deceased) fought for what he believed to be right, then you've lost sight of your humanity. At that point, it doesn't matter if you're liberal or conservative, because you're actually just an asshole.

"Let that sink in."
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 27, 2018, 11:28:55 AM
At best, McCain was a frienemy --not a real friend to my way of thinking.  Did not like his take on almost anything.
No kidding.  His VP pick alone...sheesh.  He opposed raising the minimum wage, opposed tax credits for renewables, opposed net neutrality, etc.

But at least he wasn't pro-torture (which makes sense given his background), understood the threat of climate change, and didn't have a public freakout about transgender people in the military.  That's something.  Not a lot, but something.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 28, 2018, 07:14:46 PM
No kidding.  His VP pick alone...sheesh.  He opposed raising the minimum wage, opposed tax credits for renewables, opposed net neutrality, etc.

But at least he wasn't pro-torture (which makes sense given his background), understood the threat of climate change, and didn't have a public freakout about transgender people in the military.  That's something.  Not a lot, but something.

If all Senators were thoughtful and willing to cross party lines sometimes like Mc Cain, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in today. 

Sure, I disagreed with him usually; he was a conservative.  But he wasn't a "damn-reality-conservative" like too many are now, "better Russian than Dem", or "circle the wagons around even our craziest member" party fanatic.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 08:13:23 AM
Baruch never has a "point".  He just likes to make jokes and create chaos.  A true troll.
Great is the power of ignore. Now if everybody who was tired of his shit...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2018, 06:23:24 AM
Great is the power of ignore. Now if everybody who was tired of his shit...

Go chip paint on some ship, while hanging from the bosun's chair ;-)  So which psychopathic profile are you ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Too bad his vp was Sarah fucking Palin. That broad was crazy.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on September 03, 2018, 09:02:20 PM
Too bad his vp was Sarah fucking Palin. That broad was crazy.

Yes.  Definitely a RINO plot.  I could have voted for him in 2000 (but he was screwed by the Bush CIA machine).  He was senile by 2008.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

i don’t think it mattered who was the running mate to McCain. HRC didn’t get in either.

Obama’s presidency was a done thing even before the voting began. Methinks.

OK, the salesmanship (read propaganda)  helped.

I hear that lots of dead people voted as well. Nothing wrong with that.
Dead people still have voting rights in the US. Voting by proxy.

“Undocumented Aliens” can vote too, but only if they vote Democrat.

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on September 04, 2018, 04:38:04 AM
i don’t think it mattered who was the running mate to McCain. HRC didn’t get in either.

My sense is that Obama's popularity came from being relatively new to politics and mostly unknown.  As a result he wasn't carrying the amount of baggage that burdened Hillary.  Just being in politics earns you enemies.  The longer you are in the game, the more enemies you accumulate. 

After the Bush Administration's shenanigans in Iraq, the Republican Party had established itself as the war party, and Americans were war weary.  Arguments can be made that both parties are the war parties, but Americans (or maybe humans in general) don't tend to think long term and tend to hold responsible whoever has been in control of the government in the last 2 weeks for whatever pisses  them off, and Hillary had established herself as a supporter of the Iraq War.  This may have been the most politically correct expedient in New York for two years after 9-11 when the terrorists had unleashed the most devastating carnage in America's most important city.  Those "liberal" Northeasterners were pissed about it and perhaps even more hysterical than the rest of the country.

But Hillary, or even Joe Schmo down the street, would have won the presidency if Obama had not showed up just because the Republican brand name had faired so badly under Bush.  Eight years later, and a couple of major miscalculations by Obama, the Democrats were no longer able to field just anyone and be guaranteed a win.

I don't believe a presidential candidate chooses his running mate.  I may be wrong, but I suspect that's done in the back rooms of party headquarters.  I don't think Sara Palin was McCain's choice to make.  She was put there to appeal to the religious right, although there may be other reasons that don't make sense.  Had McCain been handed a more level headed and respected running mate, I still don't think he could have beaten any Democratic candidate in that year.  And even had the Republicans chosen a better presidential candidate, I don't think they could have won that year.

SGOS

I hear that lots of dead people voted as well.
The voting dead is nothing new in politics, but I don't actually know how prevalent it is.

Baruch

“Undocumented Aliens” can vote too, but only if they vote Democrat.

Chicago makes a regular habit of dead people voting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2018, 06:54:11 AM
The voting dead is nothing new in politics, but I don't actually know how prevalent it is.
The hard right has tried for years to prove voter fraud as a route to disenfranchisement for low-income and ethnic voters. They haven't had any significant discoveries.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2018, 05:21:26 AM
I don't believe a presidential candidate chooses his running mate.  I may be wrong, but I suspect that's done in the back rooms of party headquarters.  I don't think Sara Palin was McCain's choice to make.  She was put there to appeal to the religious right, although there may be other reasons that don't make sense.  Had McCain been handed a more level headed and respected running mate, I still don't think he could have beaten any Democratic candidate in that year.  And even had the Republicans chosen a better presidential candidate, I don't think they could have won that year.
Palin was more or less foisted upon McCain, who had wanted Joe Lieberman as his running mate, but the party powers that be demanded he shore up his right flank and stuck him with a wingnut.  He later called picking her a mistake and a regret, and I'm sure you can imagine Caribou Barbie's reaction to that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan