News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RIP bandit

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 06, 2018, 11:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-people-burt-reynolds/hollywood-star-burt-reynolds-dies-at-82-hollywood-reporter-idUSKCN1LM2WN
Burt Reynolds, whose good looks and charm made him one of Hollywood’s most popular actors as he starred in such films as “Deliverance,” “The Longest Yard” and “Smokey and the Bandit” in the 1970s and ‘80s, died on Thursday at age 82.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Unbeliever

I was just looking over the list of movies and TV series he's played in - quite a long list! He was an American icon who will be sorely missed.

I could've sworn he was in Big Fauss and Little Halsey, but it turns out that was Robert Redford.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Deliverance!  Wow!  What a gripping film.  Rotten Tomatoes listed it as his second best film.  That was beaten out by 1 point in the RT list, but that one wasn't a film I'm familiar with so I won't quibble with it.  Anyone who may not have seen Deliverance (if there are any such people) should rent it right now.  You won't be disappointed.  It may be of my 10 most favorites, and still holds my attention almost 50 years after it was made. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 07, 2018, 02:11:24 PM
Deliverance!  Wow!  What a gripping film.  Rotten Tomatoes listed it as his second best film.  That was beaten out by 1 point in the RT list, but that one wasn't a film I'm familiar with so I won't quibble with it.  Anyone who may not have seen Deliverance (if there are any such people) should rent it right now.  You won't be disappointed.  It may be of my 10 most favorites, and still holds my attention almost 50 years after it was made.

Should make a film of Yankees abusing Southern boys ;-)  Also mentally defective accordion players in Indiana.  It fit your prejudices, that is why you liked it.  I found it horrendous.

Be careful where you hunt, fish and canoe, y'all!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

ferdmonger

Absolutely a great movie.

The guy could act when he needed to.

Mike Cl

I first saw him on Gunsmoke.  Liked his character--that was what, pushing 60 yrs. ago!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 07, 2018, 11:48:57 PM
I first saw him on Gunsmoke.  Liked his character--that was what, pushing 60 yrs. ago!!!

That's where I saw him first, too.  But other than that, I could take or leave him.  Well, I never saw 'Deliverence'.  Basically, I saw him as a very good "handsome guy" actor and not much else.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I enjoyed the way he was portrayed by Norm McDonald on SNL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEghu90QJH4
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mermaid

Despite Deliverance being one of my top 5 favorites of all time, I have always thought Burt Reynolds was kind of gross.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on September 08, 2018, 06:12:23 PM
Despite Deliverance being one of my top 5 favorites of all time, I have always thought Burt Reynolds was kind of gross.
His characters usually seemed kind of sleazy to me, and I didn't watch most of his movies, but he was popular.  Yesterday NPR re-ran an older interview with him, and he seemed like a really nice guy in the interview, actually quite thoughtful and kind.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 06:21:15 PM
His characters usually seemed kind of sleazy to me, and I didn't watch most of his movies, but he was popular.  Yesterday NPR re-ran an older interview with him, and he seemed like a really nice guy in the interview, actually quite thoughtful and kind.

Yeah, actors and their roles are sometimes very different.  Think of the "ladies" men leads like Rock Hudson who were gay in real life.  Well, that's why they are called "actors".  They can assume roles for a movie that don't match their real lives.  Same for actresses, of course. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!