News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

McCain

Started by Mr.Obvious, August 26, 2018, 02:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Discontinued treatment of cancer yesterday, gone today.
That was fast.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 26, 2018, 02:37:30 AM
That was fast.

May save us from a war with Iran ... or not.  Certain people, not just him, want that war real bad ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 26, 2018, 02:37:30 AM
That was fast.
Survived the Hanoi Hilton. Big C brought him down after a full life. I doubt he'd complain.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

_Xenu_

I always respected him.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

trdsf

Didn't often agree with him, but I had to respect him.

One wonders if the GOP might have avoided the sub-basement of the sewer if he'd gotten the nomination over Dubya in '00.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

too soon?

Doesn't matter I didn't even know the guy.

lets use humor as part of the grieving process.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Don't want to get all teary-eyed over his passing.  I guess you could call him a hero--he could have been more of one if he could keep from getting shot down.  Anyway, his politics always sucked.  I don't really care about his personal life--except he was not exactly nice to his first wife.  She was sick and he was fucking around with several women.  Yeah, this is a moral guy.  What I am sad about it that he seems to be such a moral person and a bastion of normalcy compared to all other Repubs.  Don't morn his passing.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I remember hearing that he was generally respected by other politicians, and years ago we heard his name a lot, but it seems like he was dropping out of sight before he became a presidential candidate.  By then his party had changed.  It seemed like a last nod to an old warrior, but sadly, he was over powered in his bid for the presidency by his own running mate.  A younger and more modern voice for the new Republican party and with a flair for the bizarre, and whose greatest contribution to America was launching Tina Fey into international stardom.

Hydra009

Here's how I remember McCain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

A kind, reasonable voice in a sea of crazies.  That didn't win him much support in the GOP (quite the opposite, in fact), but it won him a great deal of respect outside the GOP.  It's a shame to see him go.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 26, 2018, 05:49:25 AM
Survived the Hanoi Hilton. Big C brought him down after a full life. I doubt he'd complain.

But did he serve honorably?  Certainly his later public career is an embarrassment.  Keating Five.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

looking on a gay news site about this, and seems others saying the same thing there, the only reason the left loved him was because he opposed trump, while ignoring all the other shit he's done over the years.

Guess that old trump derangement syndrome thing effects peoples judgement of character with others and their ability to look into things. Just saying 'I oppose trump' is apparently enough.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Shame. Amongst republicans, he was one of the few that was both a semi-respectable human being and also showed some class and respect towards his opponents.

He is what the republican party desperately needs to look at and try to emulate instead of getting further and further partisan and beholden to oligarchs as they are doing.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on August 26, 2018, 09:16:53 PM
looking on a gay news site about this, and seems others saying the same thing there, the only reason the left loved him was because he opposed trump, while ignoring all the other shit he's done over the years.
Actually, he was decently well liked across the political spectrum well before Trump ever arrived on the scene.  Since around 2000, when he ran for President.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/105073/mccains-67-favorable-rating-highest-eight-years.aspx

But hey if you want to believe that it's all because of "Trump derangement syndrome" (the snowflakiest term I've ever heard for being triggered that Trump is being criticized) that's up to you.

Cavebear

John McCain was not of my political party.  John McCain was not of my politics.

But he was a unique person on the political landscape.  I admired him even when I disagreed with him (which was often).  But it wasn't "always" either.  And that "always" is the thing we have lost these days.  The ability to sometimes agree with people you normally disagree with is essential to democracy...

A Soviet Chess Grandmaster (I forgot who) once said "I sometimes forget my opponents have good ideas too".  That applies to politics too.  John McCain sometimes had "good ideas too".  He was a very good Senator, who spoke honestly and directly.  That is a quality we will all miss.

We will never know whether he would have been a good President.  He might have been a great one or a terrible one.   History suggests mavericks can go either way.  I've tried to think of when he would have been a better President than the person who won.  It's difficult.  He probably would have been the right person to campaign against Gore in 2000.  I would have been twisted in knots about that choice, and either would have been better than Bush.

In 2008, I was torn between McCain and Obama, but decided that Obama was likely better at organizing the office and managing the affairs of government.  It wasn't easy.  My heart was for McCain, my mind was for Obama.

The deciding factor was that McCain would bring the Republican party into power and I thought the Democrats would do better overall.  But it was very close.  Both men seemed honest, honorable, and thoughtful.  And Palin mattered.  It signaled to me he was a good Senator who maybe didn't have a great talent for choosing qualified people to work around him.  There is something to be said for getting good subordinate executive managers.   Just look at Trump for examples of that.

If it was "just the President", I would have gone with McCain, hoped that Obama would run again in 2016 with more Senate experience, and won then.

But that is all water over the dam now.  We have lost a person who was so very honorable, brave, and willing to think for himself.  Yes, "honorable, brave, and willing to think" does not necessarily mean a great executive,  but it is probably better than the opposite.  We could sure use more people like him than fewer.

Farewell John McCain...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!