News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post 2008 Economics

Started by Baruch, September 29, 2018, 09:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=830&v=JeplRmADW3E

Dr Keen was one of the few people who predicted the downturn of 2008.

When he tried to speak truth to power in Australia, they tried to de-platform him (remove him from his tenured position at an Australian university).  His department refused.  So the university silenced him by shutting down the whole economics department (at the behest of the PM of Australia who didn't want any criticism of the real estate bubble there).  Dr Keen then bounced to London where he is still developing economic theory, including why the post 2008 recovery was so weak, and why we are heading into an even greater economic crisis.  His videos to his students there, are the best introduction to post 2008 economics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 29, 2018, 09:36:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=830&v=JeplRmADW3E

Dr Keen was one of the few people who predicted the downturn of 2008.

When he tried to speak truth to power in Australia, they tried to de-platform him (remove him from his tenured position at an Australian university).  His department refused.  So the university silenced him by shutting down the whole economics department (at the behest of the PM of Australia who didn't want any criticism of the real estate bubble there).  Dr Keen then bounced to London where he is still developing economic theory, including why the post 2008 recovery was so weak, and why we are heading into an even greater economic crisis.  His videos to his students there, are the best introduction to post 2008 economics.

Actually, a LOT of people saw the 2008 drop coming.  They just got out of the market and sat back to watch the collapse while the banks and bulls charged ahead.  I wasn't THAT smart, but I did get out before the bottom and was in a good position to get back in on the upswing.

And, BTW, I'm mostly out now...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 07:57:14 AM
Actually, a LOT of people saw the 2008 drop coming.  They just got out of the market and sat back to watch the collapse while the banks and bulls charged ahead.  I wasn't THAT smart, but I did get out before the bottom and was in a good position to get back in on the upswing.

And, BTW, I'm mostly out now...

Timing is everything!  He had actual theory with actual equations, not common sense.

Well one can tell if a market is oversold ... but that is when the average retail investor goes all in ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2018, 12:39:53 PM
Timing is everything!  He had actual theory with actual equations, not common sense.

Well one can tell if a market is oversold ... but that is when the average retail investor goes all in ;-(

Timing the market is a loser game.  Every market analysis shows that.  I just expect that Trump will sink us soon, so I'm cautious.  I'm protecting what I've got.  Even Buffet is being more cautious lately (and as he gets older).

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 12:45:01 PM
Timing the market is a loser game.  Every market analysis shows that.  I just expect that Trump will sink us soon, so I'm cautious.  I'm protecting what I've got.  Even Buffet is being more cautious lately (and as he gets older).

Put all your money on Soros instead, and get a future appointment as a commissar.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2018, 12:48:33 PM
Put all your money on Soros instead, and get a future appointment as a commissar.

No thanks, I want to have money when I'm older. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 12:55:24 PM
No thanks, I want to have money when I'm older.

He has all you need.  And will share, if you can boat some refugees to Europe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2018, 12:57:04 PM
He has all you need.  And will share, if you can boat some refugees to Europe.

Unlike some Southern Belles, I do not "depend on the kindness of strangers".  Sorry.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 12:59:25 PM
Unlike some Southern Belles, I do not "depend on the kindness of strangers".  Sorry.

I guess you don't like deep fried Ding-dongs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 01, 2018, 01:05:37 PM
I guess you don't like deep fried Ding-dongs.

No. I do use my Baby-Fry (sounds horrible doesn't it, and a funny story attached to that) to make fried shrimp once a month.

The funny story...  African nations have so many languages, they just display the content as a picture on the label.  So here came Gerber with the smiling white baby on the label.  Think about it...