Mormon Church opposes medical marijuana

Started by GSOgymrat, August 23, 2018, 07:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I'm sure no one is surprised the Mormon church has come out against medical marijuana. What gets me is the "religious freedom" lawsuit that, as far as I can tell, is basically an argument that no one in Utah can use marijuana because it is forbidden by the Mormon church. Freedom of religion isn't freedom to force people to abide by your religious convictions.

Mormon Church ramps up opposition to medical marijuana effort in Utah, speaking out publicly

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-utah-medical-marijuana-20180823-story.html

The Mormon Church has played a quiet role in the fight against an effort to legalize medical marijuana in Utah, releasing measured statements and helping to bankroll lawsuits.

But on Thursday, leaders of the powerful Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came out from behind the scenes.

“We are deeply concerned by the history of other states that have allowed medical and recreational use of this drug … and have experienced serious consequences to the health of its citizens,” Elder Jack N. Gerard, flanked by politicians, medical professionals and other church leaders, said at a news conference at the state Capitol.

His comments marked the first time an official from the Mormon Church â€" which has deep roots in business and politics in the state â€" has made a public appearance to voice opposition to Proposition 2, a ballot measure that voters will consider in November. ...

Earlier this month, Walter Plumb, a well known local attorney and active member of the church, filed a lawsuit in state court arguing the ballot initiative would tread on his freedom of religion.

His “religious beliefs include a strict adherence to a code of health which precludes the consumption and possession of mind-altering drugs, substances and chemicals, which includes cannabis and its various derivatives,” the complaint states.

The church’s doctrine regarding health, referred to as the “Word of Wisdom,” asks members to abstain from alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea and “illegal drugs,” though it does not directly address medical marijuana.

The court has yet ruled in the case.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I heard about this. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, what with "religious freedom" apparently being stamped out by us secular types to the point where the government has to step in to save it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I wonder if all the Mormons do exactly what their church leaders tell them they must do? Or not do, as the case may be?

I know that many Catholics don't follow their church's orders, so maybe the Mormons don't all either.
God Not Found

trdsf

Of course, a sensible court would toss this out within two seconds of it hitting the judge's desk... but I am not confident in there being sensible courts anymore.

One.  Medical marijuana, by virtue of being prescribed, is not an illegal drug, it's a treatment.

Two.  Churches do not get to dictate church rules on non-members.  Otherwise, it would be perfectly legitimate for me to file a countersuit against the original complainant on the grounds that it offends my deeply held beliefs for people outside the doctor-patient relationship to butt their noses into a decision that's not theirs to make.

Three.  Legalized medical marijuana does not mean doing a daily bong is compulsory.

Four.  Almighty Bob, I'd ask how a fucking idiot like that got a law degree, but Freddy Phelps was one as are half his inbred horde... yeesh.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

It's a shame that perhaps the most beautiful state in the Union is also run by absolute nutcases who think their churches' way is more important than everyone else's, and are not particularly tolerant of foreign groups or ex-Mormons.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Quote from: trdsf on August 23, 2018, 10:28:16 PM
Four.  Almighty Bob, I'd ask how a fucking idiot like that got a law degree, but Freddy Phelps was one as are half his inbred horde... yeesh.

Because he is an attorney, I assume there is some kind of strategy behind filing a lawsuit that appears to laypeople like myself to be bogus. Perhaps someone reading this can explain this strategy, if there is one.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 24, 2018, 07:48:10 AM
Because he is an attorney, I assume there is some kind of strategy behind filing a lawsuit that appears to laypeople like myself to be bogus. Perhaps someone reading this can explain this strategy, if there is one.

Just testing the water perhaps, looking for weak points, testing the sympathy of the new make up of the supreme court?  Or maybe he is just another fanatic that happens to have a law degree.  Myself, I would never disregard such a lawsuit, and never anticipate the decisions of the courts.  Also with the win gained by the religious right in the baking of cakes, there's bound to be others with their own religious agendas.  It's odd when I've understood religious freedom allows for peyote in religious rituals among Native Americans of the South West.

GSOgymrat

If medical marijuana can be banned on grounds that it violates the religious freedom of Mormons wouldn't all opioid and benzodiazepine medications be similarly banned? All are "mind-altering drugs, substances and chemicals." In 2014 one-third of adults in Utah had a prescription for opioid painkillers. One person dies each day in the state from a prescription drug overdose, a 400% increase since 2000, according to the Utah health department. The toll rises by half again when deaths from heroin are included. Mormons not only are focused on the wrong health crisis, they are ideologically inconsistent.

Unbeliever

Quote from: SGOS on August 24, 2018, 10:16:45 AM
testing the sympathy of the new make up of the supreme court?

This may be it. Anything they can get to the SCOTUS is a foregone conclusion. They've stacked the court so that we no longer have that particular check and balance. And they're in the process of stacking all the other federal courts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXKn3RiVLA
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 24, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
This may be it. Anything they can get to the SCOTUS is a foregone conclusion. They've stacked the court so that we no longer have that particular check and balance. And they're in the process of stacking all the other federal courts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVXKn3RiVLA

Too many voters under-estimate the consequences of Supreme Court nominations.  I do not.  Wouldn't it be interesting if some non-partisan commission could choose Supreme Court justices.  Membership of such commission made up of people who pass psychological tests and score near the center of politics?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 12:58:23 AM
Too many voters under-estimate the consequences of Supreme Court nominations.  I do not.  Wouldn't it be interesting if some non-partisan commission could choose Supreme Court justices.  Membership of such commission made up of people who pass psychological tests and score near the center of politics?

Excellent proposal.  Otherwise eliminate the SCOTUS as an institution ... in memory of Justice Taney (Dred Scott decision).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 12:58:23 AM
Wouldn't it be interesting if some non-partisan commission could choose Supreme Court justices.  Membership of such commission made up of people who pass psychological tests and score near the center of politics?

Even if it started out non-partisan, it, too, would soon be stacked one way or the other. But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so I could be wrong.
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 02:26:21 PM
Even if it started out non-partisan, it, too, would soon be stacked one way or the other. But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so I could be wrong.
I'm thinking any form of government or any government agency will eventually be corrupted for someone's personal gain at the expense of the populace. 

Unbeliever

Things like that often change very slowly, one tiny step at a time, so no one even notices the changes. Like boiling the frog.

Jeez, what a useful analogy that one is!
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 02:26:21 PM

Yeah, but *I* will be the secret chooser of the committee members.  And I'm such a fanatic about fairness, the members will be too.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!