News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Muhammad, prophet or pretender

Started by PopeyesPappy, August 18, 2018, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 23, 2018, 09:32:03 AM
Logic is fine, but it only proves logic.  As a fish demonstrates the existence of fishiness.
It stands to reason that any commoner practicing philosophy or theism from an armchair while watching the Simpsons is going to abhor logic.  Logic is a monkey wrench to idle musings, dream states, and armchair  philosophy.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: SGOS on August 23, 2018, 10:57:08 AM
It stands to reason that any commoner practicing philosophy or theism from an armchair while watching the Simpsons is going to abhor logic.  Logic is a monkey wrench to idle musings, dream states, and armchair  philosophy.
Logic should be considered important to all I think.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPfw422Wcso

Really?  If people like this, we can move to the Philosophy section.

In other words ...

All Athenians are ardvarks
Socrates is an Athenian
Therefore Socrates is an aardvark

The problem lies with dodgy axioms.  The first one is not factual, the second one is.  The syllogism is correct.  But the conclusion is wrong.

Most people here would be interested in epistemic modal logic or alethic modal logic.  Months ago I posted material on non-Classical logic, that takes the POV that truth can't even be defined (the usual kind of truth conflated with facts, not the humanistic definition I use).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 23, 2018, 09:02:00 AM
Being in possession of absolute reality (ala Plato) you don't make hypotheses ;-)  Well I do feel that way about subjective physical facts (my hand for example typing this).  So I actually think you mean the same thing as I do, though perhaps extending to ideas.
I think we mean the same.  I realize there is no such thing as absolute reality.  There is my own subjective reality.  But it is not 'fixed' in that I don't think there is even an absolute reality from my own personal point of view.  But there is a working reality; if not, then all one could do would be to huddle in a chair somewhere.  My working reality allows me to function in this universe.  I treat my reality as tho it was universal for me; but I do change it as I think it necessary.  There are universal facts, such as gravity works this way on earth.  But even those facts are subject to change.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 23, 2018, 08:59:02 AM
I don't 'believe' in anything.  I think evolution exists and works because I've seen the evidence that proves it to me.  Evolution is not something one has to 'believe' in; one has to 'believe' in god because there is no proof of any kind that god exists or ever existed.  As for my conscience, it is simply that part of my brain that processes my perception of what is good/bad for me, what is right/wrong for me all based on how the world impacts me.  Spirit has nothing to do with it--it is totally me. 

Quote from: Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith

Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, 'Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!' If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Verily, I say unto you, Unbeliever!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

If it is true to you, to kill a stranger, then go right ahead.  It is about ethics, not facts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 24, 2018, 01:33:51 PM
That really puts the pi in onion!

Sophists then and now, have no integrity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: popsthebuilder on August 22, 2018, 07:20:02 AM
I do.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

So beating a slave to death with a rod is forbidden.  What about other objects like baseball bats and closet poles?  You did say the bible should be taken literally. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 04:26:10 AM
So beating a slave to death with a rod is forbidden.  What about other objects like baseball bats and closet poles?  You did say the bible should be taken literally.

St Augustine said ... the reason why there is Hell is for dealing with argumentative people like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.