News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Diversity is our strenght.

Started by pr126, August 17, 2018, 03:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 17, 2018, 03:12:49 PM
"Tradition" can be used as a euphemism for a less learned, more tribalistic, more homogeneous society.  What exactly is inherently good about an older state of affairs?  Or inherently bad about a newer one?  (Imo, race is definitely the invisible elephant in the room here)  Methinks few people here would enjoy a candid answer to this question, that's why it is kept intentionally vague by presenting it as tradition-loving, which is far more respectable.

Also, I'm very much a "evolve or die" kind of person.  Prizing tradition over all else comes across as suicidal.  Who honestly thinks that there isn't anything new to learn or some new height to reach?  It shouldn't even be debatable that we should change, only how we should change.

Your local Gruppen-fuhrer will let you know how he wants you to change.  People do change, just not the way you or I want them to.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 17, 2018, 04:13:29 PM
I like to think of tradition as values that have stood the test of time. Why we should change seems like a more prudent question. Is the change better or worse?
Absolutely.  Don't change purely for the sake of changing.

But at the same time, never swear off changing entirely because nothing is ever perfect and because you can never be sure of the future.  Even things that have stood the test of time (until now) fall apart and need to be changed or reworked.  Just ask the Romans.

The bottom line is that conditions change and we need to change with them if we want to survive.

And lastly, the solution to bad change is never to abandon change, but rather to attempt again in a wiser way.  Could you imagine if the people who built the first lean-to structures - the first buildings - had been dissatisfied and returned to their caves?  Where would we be then?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 18, 2018, 01:17:49 AM
Absolutely.  Don't change purely for the sake of changing.

But at the same time, never swear off changing entirely because nothing is ever perfect and because you can never be sure of the future.  Even things that have stood the test of time (until now) fall apart and need to be changed or reworked.  Just ask the Romans.

The bottom line is that conditions change and we need to change with them if we want to survive.

And lastly, the solution to bad change is never to abandon change, but rather to attempt again in a wiser way.  Could you imagine if the people who built the first lean-to structures - the first buildings - had been dissatisfied and returned to their caves?  Where would we be then?

Humans have always adapted.  But it isn't a walk in the park.

Yes, there was a cave man building the first non-cave shelter after the ending of the Ice Age ... and cave woman right behind him telling him he was wrong ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 17, 2018, 04:13:29 PM
I like to think of tradition as values that have stood the test of time. Why we should change seems like a more prudent question. Is the change better or worse?
Ah, yes, the Antebellum South comes to mind.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 18, 2018, 06:24:14 PM
Ah, yes, the Antebellum South comes to mind.

Antebellum North comes to mind.  Murderous puritans.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on August 17, 2018, 03:20:41 AM
I am yet to hear from countries of Africa, Asia, the Far East, Middle East Central/South America, Japan, China, Philippines that diversity is their strength.

Isn’t unity more beneficial? Or are we being programmed? Globalism is our strenght.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbwuAaar-qU

Diversity, per se, is not a strength.  It also requires a political and social structure that allows it to thrive and provide value.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!