News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

It is not uncommon for people to confuse light with color.  What we see as color is just what light is reflected from an object.  A tomato is "red" because it absorbs all other frequencies of light.  What we see is the frequency it doesn't absorb.  So, in a way, the color we think an object is, is the color it really isn't.  At least, the light it doesn't accept.

Brown, BTW, is truly the weirdest color.  It doesn't show up in a rainbow.  A sort or blackish/bluish orange.  It takes some work to make brown from a standard set of oil paints.  Look at a color wheel and try to find brown on it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 05:12:56 AM
It is not uncommon for people to confuse light with color.  What we see as color is just what light is reflected from an object.  A tomato is "red" because it absorbs all other frequencies of light.  What we see is the frequency it doesn't absorb.  So, in a way, the color we think an object is, is the color it really isn't.  At least, the light it doesn't accept.

Brown, BTW, is truly the weirdest color.  It doesn't show up in a rainbow.  A sort or blackish/bluish orange.  It takes some work to make brown from a standard set of oil paints.  Look at a color wheel and try to find brown on it.

Kudos for this.  You can finger paint now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 05:12:56 AM

That is true about color.  Some of my students refused to believe me when I said that in science class.  (I think they were christian :))).  What is weird from my viewpoint is that I see much more brown than there really is.  I see some shades of red, green, orange and sometimes blue as brown. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 12, 2018, 08:59:11 AM
That is true about color.  Some of my students refused to believe me when I said that in science class.  (I think they were christian :))).  What is weird from my viewpoint is that I see much more brown than there really is.  I see some shades of red, green, orange and sometimes blue as brown.

Congratulations, you are male with a slight color failure.  Seeing orange-blue is typically brown to many men.  Blame your mother.  For reasons I won't even bother to look up (who cares) men see movement and details better than women, but women see many more distinct colors that most men.

https://www.livescience.com/22894-men-and-women-see-things-differently.html

So when the woman in you love goes "ick" about your choice of clothes, pay attention.  You are seeing 2 green colors that seem to go together OK; she is seeing a hideous conflicting hue and shade.  Don't fight it.  Let her pick your clothes for that party.  You'll get your reward later.

I see quite a lot of hues and shades myself.  Some men do.  I KNOW when my camo pants don't quite match my shirts.  But I'm single and don't really care. 

Have I failed to offend anyone yet?  LOL!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 09:52:14 AM
Congratulations, you are male with a slight color failure.  Seeing orange-blue is typically brown to many men.  Blame your mother.  For reasons I won't even bother to look up (who cares) men see movement and details better than women, but women see many more distinct colors that most men.

https://www.livescience.com/22894-men-and-women-see-things-differently.html

So when the woman in you love goes "ick" about your choice of clothes, pay attention.  You are seeing 2 green colors that seem to go together OK; she is seeing a hideous conflicting hue and shade.  Don't fight it.  Let her pick your clothes for that party.  You'll get your reward later.

I see quite a lot of hues and shades myself.  Some men do.  I KNOW when my camo pants don't quite match my shirts.  But I'm single and don't really care. 

Have I failed to offend anyone yet?  LOL!
I learned long ago to let my wife be in charge of color schemes.  She will ask me at times, 'what do you think of that color?'; I then ask if she really wants to know. :))  Any more, like you, I don't really care what colors I wear--if it is comfortable, that all I care about.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 12, 2018, 11:17:28 AM
I learned long ago to let my wife be in charge of color schemes.  She will ask me at times, 'what do you think of that color?'; I then ask if she really wants to know. :))  Any more, like you, I don't really care what colors I wear--if it is comfortable, that all I care about.

Well, I know enough to not wear a red shirt with my green camo pants, but green is OK and so is black.  But red is OK with tan slacks for some reason as is any shade of blue.  The desert camo is good with tan but not much else.  I only wear solid color shirts, so that helps.

I did actually seriously study the paint color chips in the celery range last year before painting the main bathroom.  I'm not sure what to expect from it though.  Is any visitor going to come out of my bathroom breathlessly saying, "Wow that color is JUST RIGHT"?  LOL!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 09:52:14 AM
Whereas all my office slacks are black or gray, because even I can't fuck up matching a (generally solid-color) shirt with them.  I am *the* most fashion-challenged gay man on the planet.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 11:40:18 AM
Well, I know enough to not wear a red shirt with my green camo pants, but green is OK and so is black.  But red is OK with tan slacks for some reason as is any shade of blue.  The desert camo is good with tan but not much else.  I only wear solid color shirts, so that helps.

I did actually seriously study the paint color chips in the celery range last year before painting the main bathroom.  I'm not sure what to expect from it though.  Is any visitor going to come out of my bathroom breathlessly saying, "Wow that color is JUST RIGHT"?  LOL!
When choosing interior paint from chips, I find I helpful to find the shade of lavender, or whatever other color you want, and then count 14 shades down the intensity scale and buy that one.

SGOS

My favorite interior decorating tip would be to paint everything white.  I'm talking about the white that is sold as the base, not off white, near white, or tinted white.  When it comes time to repaint a wall, you don't have to bring in a chip of the old paint and have the store use their optical reader to mix paint that almost matches the original.

The house I'm in now, was pre owned, the previous owners had never thought about white, and each room was painted it's own color.  Actually, they had done a good job in selecting colors, and for the most part I would have called it quite tasteful, except for one deep red bathroom.  I have no idea what they were thinking there.

The problem is repainting with the same colors to complement other walls becomes a nightmare of matching colors that are almost, but not quite the same.  Right now, on my paint storage shelves I have maybe 17 one gallon cans of paint, each a different color almost empty to partially full, some that are 8 years old and no longer slosh when I shake the can.  To me this is insane, when one gallon of white is all that needs to be there to make me happy.

OK, I do like the idea of one accent wall in the main living area that blasts your eyes out with one bold color in a house of white.  I've seen accent walls of hot salmon to deep intense purple that look wonderful.  You can get away with murder with an accent wall, as long as everything else is intense white.  But don't overdo it unless you want to feel like you're living in a taco stand.

SGOS

To make matters worse, the recent introduction of paint that comes with primer cancels out all previous formulas.  You would think that white is white, but it's not.  Last week I took in an old paint can with the mixing formula label on it, so I could touch up an area of a ceiling.  The hardware man told me he couldn't match the formula because the new paint was different, and his optical device wasn't working for some reason.  I told him to mix a quart and I'd give it a try, but it was a waste of time and money.  It wasn't even close, so I went to Lowes where their reader was working, but I haven't painted over the hideous patch of that last quart yet.  I don't want to repaint the entire ceiling.  It's 19 feet high at the peak and runs through the living room, kitchen and dinning area, around an island workspace in the kitchen.

I'm not convinced primer in the paint is a good idea, and I don't know why diluting expensive paint with primer, which costs a third, results in more expensive paint than just plain paint.  It doesn't do a better job of coverage.  You still need two coats, even though for the last 30 years the paint can always advertises one coat is all that is needed.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2018, 12:50:14 PM
When choosing interior paint from chips, I find I helpful to find the shade of lavender, or whatever other color you want, and then count 14 shades down the intensity scale and buy that one.

One good trick is to take anything to the front of the store in daylight and see how the color looks there.  I sold woman's dress shoes once in a store and increased the sales a lot letting them see the shoes in daylight.  Fluorescent light lie, and got me too many returns.  But if a woman liked to color in daylight, they never returned those.  Another is to mix your paint with some white paint to lighten it.  Just stick a whisk in your drill and mix thoroughly.